It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British man on no-fly list can't leave Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Well thank you for the answer

At least if any of us are unlucky enough to be put on it, we now know there is a chance to get taken off the list

edit on 16-2-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

It isn't about security on the flight, it is a US no-fly list... For the most part it is intended to make travel abroad nearly impossible, or extremely difficult for anyone on those lists, as well as alerting agencies to any attempted travel etc.

People seem to be placed on these lists for arbitrary and redundant reasons, not just suspicious activities, or ties to terrorists etc. ANYONE can be on those lists for any reason, and it could simply be that they feds want to keep up with your moves, especially when you may attempt to leave the country.

I haven't flown anywhere in 3 years, and I'm on a list, still don't know why.

I didn't know that Canada honored the US no fly lists.. That is interesting.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I have been on several cruises and found they have some security checks as well. I know my carry on stuff goes through a machine same as at the airport and they xray my big stuff although they are looking more for alcohol than anything else I think.Although I don't take alcohol we us on a ship I have had to open my bags so they can check as something looked strange.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I didn't know that Canada honored the US no fly lists.. That is interesting.

I am Canadian and this was news to me. I wasn't very surprised though. By the sounds of it, anyone can end up on that list. I wonder if they put people on that list for unpaid parking tickets

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by colsislander

i have no experience of cruise ships in general world wide - but even pre 9/11 - crossing the atlantic from america to the UK - the main focus of security checking was firearms and amunition

they were as concerned about smuggling as attempts to take over the vessel

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by colsislander

When I just turned legal drinking age I flew quite often. I never liked the lift off from a jet airplane so I would sneak some in and have a few drinks before and during the flight to keep the edge off. Now days there is no way to sneak liquids on. I even got caught once in 2004. I have flown a few times after so I didn't end up on the list thankfully.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I am sure the no fly list has some people on there for good reason. But I have been hearing of many instances where random people that should not be on this list end up on it anyways. He is not even going to the USA. It makes me wonder next time I need to fly out of Canada if I will find out that I am on this no fly list.

"Sorry sir, you are on a no fly list, you cannot leave the country"

It can take up to 60 days for this to get sorted out according to the article. It appears the only thing that could have put him on this list was a business trip to Yemen.

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well our Prince William and his wife to be are planning a trip to Canada

BBC

I'm sure William has been to a few Middle East hot spots so is he on the list

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I hope him and Kate get the same "royal treatment" we get

They would probably fly into Ottawa or Toronto so they may be subject to body scanners!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I would say that's messed up, but here's a question you need to ask. What did he do to be put on this list?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TimBrandSurveillanceMan

Well if he's not arrested, then I would say, nothing that can be proved or is against the law.
See thats the problem. A No Fly list implies hidden laws and a fasicst system.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TimBrandSurveillanceMan

The article mentions he is a white muslim, and that he had a business trip to Yemen. Any one of those two factors cold have gotten him on that list.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
And there it is. The exact thing I was warning about.

Non-citizens, unable to return to their home of origin.

It'll get worse when their homes of origin refuse to take them.

The impressive stupidity of these "security" measures are going to be creating a new layer of refugee. Non-immigrant, non-citizens, administrative "ghosts."

Amazing how this failed to be accounted for in all the levels of bureaucracy and legislation in a multitude of countries. Yet, I could pick it out through mentally walking through the system being created.

They make blueprints of buildings, and models of how stars blow up. But no one decided to put 30 people in a series of rooms and have them pretend to be different people trying to get from one to the next?

Hmmmm. Yeah, because fraking with the entire global economy should be done by the seat of your pants.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I was awestruck when I first read the article. The bureaucracy of it all is what made me feel sorry for this man above all else. I have never been in his situation, but I know for a fact his nightmare is just beginning. Canada is great and all, but the government here are not well known for correcting problems like this. To make things worse he probably has to wait until the Americans take him off the stupid list.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The reality is that the No Fly List is obviously a political tool and not a security tool.

That is exactly it. We all saw it coming. When they introduced it, it was there to "help us". It sure did not help Maher Arar. If you have not heard of him and his story feel free to look into it. He was a Canadian sent to Syria for torture by the RCMP due to faulty information from American intelligence. He was tortured in Syria for a couple years then returned to Canada and has established is innocence and campaigned to do his best to make sure this never happens again.

Actually your story on Arar is incorrect.

Arar was passing through the US when American officials held him because he was a Canadian born in Syria, and thus on some American watch list. They contacted the RCMP and the RCMP gave the American officials incredibly sketchy information. This proves that at this point, Canadian and American police forces were already working in interoperable conditions (which are apparently still on the drawing board in Harper and Obama's security and prosperity act
).

Then the Americans shipped Arar off to Syria, in a case of extraordinary rendition, to torture him. He was tortured for like 14 months, and made several false confessions to terrorism. The Canadian ambassador to Syria really didn't give a sh!t and if it wasn't for Arar's wife and her movement to reclaim him, he would still be rotting in a hole in the ground.

Since then, Canadian officials have cleared him and awarded him millions in settlements to keep him away from the media (but it didn't stop him and his wife from giving lectures at universities like mine
).

The scary part is that the RCMP commissioner would not admit fault, despite the fact that a) the RCMP had false information on Arar and b) used it to send to the Americans to make a case FOR FREAKING TORTURING HIM.

The other scary part is that the American government STILL refuses to remove his name off of their terror watch lists, because that would make them look incompetent. Oh, and did I mention that the American government still claims that the 9/11 hijackers came from Canada, when even in the official story, none of them did (they came from Saudi Arabia).

Moral of the story is, if you're on some American terror watch list, stay the hell away from the US and don't expect to get cleared any time soon, if at all.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Thank you for the correction (I tried to insert a thumbs up but it won't let me).

Now that you mention it, you are definitely right. I mixed up the story a little, sorry about that. It is really a shame on how the Canadian officials handled the whole thing. I think he ended up getting a large cash settlement from the Canadian government. I doubt the money will ever erase all the pain and suffering he had to suffer.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: grammar and punctuation

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Thanks for correcting me (I tried to insert a thumbs up but it won't let me).

Now that you mention it, you are definitely right. I mixed up the story a little, sorry about that. It is really a shame on how the Canadian officials handled the whole thing. I think he ended up getting a large cash settlement from the Canadian government. I doubt the money will ever erase all the pain and suffering he had to suffer.

Of course it wouldn't. The guy was forced to live in a dirt cell so small he always had to be bent in some way, and he was given a pop bottle to piss and crap in. Then he was regularily beat and electrocuted into admitting terrorism links, all for the glory of the bloody American Empire.

Like I said, the Canadian government was trying to cover it all up and it was Arar's wife that kept pushing and pushing. Eventually, through diplomatic measures, the Syrians threw Arar on a plane and sent him back here.

Sadly I ended up in university like a year after this whole ordeal. His wife was a professor here. In fact, nothing probably would've happened if she wasn't a professor who could scrape together over $100,000 in legal fees.

Makes you wonder about all of the common people in the same situations. Who will listen to them?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Heavens to betsy! Tell that guy to take a train to San Diego, CA. then the Trolley south to the international border crossing then walk across the border and take a cab (standard fare for gringos is $5) to the Tiajuana airport and from there to where ever he wants to go on Aeromexico. And, hey dude, Mexico doesn't strip search passengers yet. Bonus!!

or

Kiss a bunch of government ass in Canada and fly from there.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
If you use ATS, you're probably on that 'no fly list'.

That's not as silly as it may seem.

I got married at the Gold Coast 3 years ago, and when I went to get on my plane to return to Adelaide, I was the only passenger singled out for an "explosives" screening. I told my best man when he picked myself and my wife up at Adelaide Airport, and the same thing happened to him when he left the Gold Coast a few days before us. He's also a member on here.

We thought it was a bit more than a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

That is a darned good idea. I wonder if being on the no fly list would also stop him from crossing the USA/Canada border... He should be able to get across as long as he has proper documentation. I am surprised he has not thought of this. The method you mentioned would surely be quicker than waiting for the Canadian government to fill out the proper paperwork and submit it to American officials. Hopefully he is reading this thread

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Though honestly...

If you just found out that you're on the American no-fly list, would you be wanting to try to cross through the US? I wouldn't. Especially since you need to produce a passport at the US/Canada border.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join