It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two massive holes in the sun ( NASA cover up going on right now)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
If you notice the reason the picture changes is that it is one of 6 images

Coronal holes are just fine. We just have more instruments to measure the light and properties of the sun than we ever have. That is why you see many different colours when you look at images from SDO or SOHO for example. The colours represent the different Angstroms (unit of measure for light) They show many different features at different wavelengths. They are not just pretty colours
Hinode has been in operation since 2006 but I think we are just now catching the "sun bug" because of SDO which has only been operational for a bit less than a year. SDO is fabulous and was very hyped this past summer which got people hooked on viewing these awesome super hi-res images of the sun, which the news media and whoever else will run with like no tomorrow in any way they can. (As for it being a Fox story, I was impressed at the accuracy. Had this been a story on CNN...well thats another topic
)

Here are the mission objectives of Hinode, which might explain some of the "scary" looking imagery.

Investigation of magnetic activity of the Sun including its generation, energy transfer and release of the magnetic energy. Major research topics are as follows: To understand the processes of magnetic field generation and transport including the magnetic modulation of the Sun’s luminosity.

To investigate the processes responsible for energy transfer from the photosphere to the corona and that are responsible for the heating and structuring of the chromosphere and the corona.

To determine the mechanisms responsible for eruptive phenomena, such as flares and coronal mass ejections, and understand these phenomena in the context of the space weather of the Sun-Earth System.

more here

Also, to the person that posted about Japan being awesome with the Hinode image, I always loved Hinodes red images. Very lovely and one of my favourites.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Calm down, please. Nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

1. Coronal holes are not really holes. A better name for them would be 'thin spots' or 'cool spots'. They can only be seen in the X-ray or far-ultraviolet spectrum. To the (well-protected) human eye or ordinary camera, the Sun has no holes in its corona. coronal holes

2. Regular observation of the Sun at UV and X-ray frequencies has only become possible lately, with the launch of satellites like Soho. Until then, nobody knew much about coronal holes. Now we know the sun pretty much has them all the time. Most of the solar wind comes out of them. The solar wind is always blowing. It's normal for the Sun to have coronal holes.

3. NASA is not covering anything up. There is nothing to cover up.

As for that nonsense about retrograde motion causing the Sun to rise in the west on Mars, well: the motion of Mars only appears retrograde when seen from Earth, and that too only at certain times of the year:

As seen from Earth, all the planets appear to periodically switch direction as they cross the sky. Though all stars and planets appear to move from east to west on a nightly basis in response to the rotation of Earth, the outer planets generally drift slowly eastward relative to the stars. This motion is normal for the planets... Source

It has no effect on the Martian sunrise, which occurs in the east, just as it does on Earth. Mars does have a moon, Phobos, that rises in the west and set in the east. It does that every Martian night, and always has as far as anyone knows.

Do Muslims believe sunrise in the west is a sign of an impending Day of Judgement? Then Allah must already have held two of them, one on Venus and one on Uranus. That's because the rotation of both planets is retrograde compared with their orbital direction, and sunrise on them takes place in the west. Always has. Always will.

I have two questions for you.

1. You seem interested in astronomy – interested enough to visit Spaceweather and so on. How is it you know so little about it, then? When I'm interested in a subject, I learn about it. That's what people do. It isn't even an effort; it happens automatically. Over time, one becomes an expert.

How come it hasn't happened to you? How come you can still give credence to ignorant – I'm sorry to say it, but there it is – ideas like this? Are you just having people on, or what?

2. I know you're a 'Bible-believing Christian'. What in the name of the Prophet's Beard are you doing pottering round an Islamic website like ummah.com?

Up to no good, I'll bet.

edit on 16/2/11 by Astyanax because: of more details.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
well this could describe some of the sudden weather changes the earth has been experiencing.in the west coast,it gets freezing with rain on top of that!the weird part is,it is spring.
edit on 27-2-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Nothing unusual, not on solar time scales anyhow..

As for the article about Mars in retro-grade.. The planet itslef is NOT moving in any unusual manner. It only APPEARS to reverse it's path from Earth's perspective. This is because we orbit more closely to the Sun and do so more rapidly. Every so often we catch up and pass Mars in our relative orbits. As we catch up Mars Appears to slow it's travel in OUR skys and then as we over take it it appears to double back on it's own path.

It is an illusion of perspective.. It is NOT NOT NOT anything spectacular or supernatural.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The pictures are beautiful! Our sun is a stunner, plain and simple.
I cannot see any indication is anything amiss, coronal holes are coronal holes. They look relatively typical in the images to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NANAinINDIANA
Will we really ever know what is going on with NASA? It is my belief they don't think we can handle anything that threatens our comfy, cushy lives.

What makes you think only NASA is looking at the sun? Surely others would notice huge holes

this is where conspiracy theorists refuse to stop and actually think about their silly claims before they post them!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I find it funny how people say "NASA revealed this and that" and then in the same breath say "don't believe anything NASA says".

As several people here already mentioned, there's nothing ubnormal about coronal holes. You have actually to thank them for giving us auroras. en.wikipedia.org...

And that stuff about the Sun rising in the West on Mars is complete nonsense. Islam is notable for butchering the scientific knowledge and twisting it to fit the myths and prophesies in Koran. Anyone with two brain cells can look up "retrograde motion" and find out what it really means. en.wikipedia.org...

<< 1  2   >>

join