It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100-Degree Warm-Up Ahead for Some States Next Week

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Alrighty then! Nothing TOO unusual about a hundred degree warm up within a week in the middle of winter now is there?

I saw it drop from 50F to minus 20F in less than 12 hours.

Since I was muddy and soaking wet at the time it was VERY memorable. Had to cut the laces to get my boots off because they froze on the way back to the car. I Really Really hate having to change clothes in that type of temperature - outside. We had been spelunking in a very wet and muddy cave during the temp drop. Thank goodness for woolens!
edit on 12-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: fix spelling goofs

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Actually in Oklahoma it is completely normal to have huge temperature swings, it can literally be 75 in the morning and snowing like mad at midnight.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

earlier December yes,. about 25 to 30 degrees
then about mid January it was about 20 degrees average,.
in the last few weeks it was in the teens and a few days below zero,.
over all,. Id say it was warmer

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap

Actually in Oklahoma it is completely normal to have huge temperature swings, it can literally be 75 in the morning and snowing like mad at midnight.

Well then, this wouldn't apply to you

Florida however is not used to below 50-degrees as a low. It has dropped into the 20's many many times this year and we're not even 2 months into winter. You'll see when orange juice and sugar prices soar.

During the summer we had (I believe) 3 consecutive weeks of temperatures over 90-degrees and heat index in the triple digits.

It's the extreme and now, regularity of these occurrences that are odd.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They are probably overestimating the temperature, I believe it will be more in the 50 degree range for an extreme. If it is 100 degree swing, that will be insane.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hmm the south is gettin colder
and the north is gettin warmer,.
weird

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I’ll believe when I see. We all know the track record of the weather community. I think their just cocky because they got the blizzard in the Midwest right this year so their strutting like a peacock. They may have gone too far and predicted themselves back into a loosing record.
I'll be back next week to say I'm sorry if all my snow is gone. I'll be on the deck with my lap top, in shorts and a tee shirt with a beer in hand.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I thought there was an unusual feel to the warmth. This summer is gonna be a bitch. Bugs everywhere, I bet. I HATE BUGS.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Actually in Brisbane/Ipswich floods, levels were well below records. Jan got it to 4.5m, 1974 was 5.5 (or 5.4, i forget) but in the late 1800s the peak got to above 7 metres TWICE that year, so no record breaking here. I remember several times in the last few years where out west/north west has flooded, because I had an old boss out there who struggled through it in about Jan 08' i think.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Hmm the south is gettin colder
and the north is gettin warmer,.
weird

It appears to be so. The glaciers are melting and the crops in the south are freezing.

I think this summer IS going to be wild. Not just the summer here in the northern hemisphere but winter in the southern hemisphere as well. Why? Because I think the Sun is on good behavior right now and it'll act up big time, very soon.
That coupled with the Earth's magnetic field that, is drifting and shifting (which is a shield that helps protect Earth) might be a deadly recipe!
We'll see.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Right. Exactly. Nothing to see here—100 degree swings are perfectly normal in the middle of winter...er...cyclical...er...nothing to be noticing—it's just winter!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Usually the south doesn't get as cold as it has this year. So if they end up going from 0°F to around 70°F it's getting closer to their normal range (and in some places further west where mountains are involved the swing could be bigger, so a 100° temperature change may be realistic).

The only people that should really worry about this are those living nearby rivers and in associated valleys or flood plains. All that melt runoff has to go somewhere. Throw in some rain or a thunderstorm, and you may have a real problem on your hands. Since you know the warm-up is coming, now is a good time to be getting the sandbags ready.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

S&Fs! and a triple Amen to go along with them, I just posted a thread here and someone linked to your post! It is definitely odd, it is 77 degrees here today in Maryland! in the coldest month of the year! I went out for a walk and took my daughter to the park and no one even notices. *sigh*

top topics

<< 1   >>

join