It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things to stock up on

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Adding storage techniques is important - that's why I'm posting this reply, not to hijack the thread. Storing the items is as important as gathering them up.

Here is an article that describe packaging meals for long term (3 year) storage.

Information regarding shelf life of properly prepared dehydrated foods.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ive been dehydrating food such as vegetables and fruit and deer meat making lots of jerky placing the dry food into glass jars with oxygen absorbers..Ive stocked up on everything most have posted in here..I have a deep well and need to figure out how to get the water out of it if the electric goes down all that is showing is a 4 inch pvc pipe on top of the ground any ideas?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Ive been dehydrating food such as vegetables and fruit and deer meat making lots of jerky placing the dry food into glass jars with oxygen absorbers..Ive stocked up on everything most have posted in here..I have a deep well and need to figure out how to get the water out of it if the electric goes down all that is showing is a 4 inch pvc pipe on top of the ground any ideas?

Years ago every farm had a windmill along with a stock/storage tank. Ocassionally you'll run across one that is still operational if you pay close attention. Windmill...

Those days are pretty much gone... but there is an alternative... depending on how much extra cash you have on hand and are willing to spend.
Rooftop wind generator...
edit on 13/2/11 by 1088no5 because: correction

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 1088no5

I live on a farm i checked that site out yikes i dont have that kinda money..But thanks for the idea

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by 1088no5

I live on a farm i checked that site out yikes i dont have that kinda money..But thanks for the idea

They've more than doubled in price since the last time I checked. Ridiculous.

A more affordable alternative...

And then there are these...

Some people still have them in their kitchens... although it's been a while since I've seen one. The Parks and Recreation usually have them all over the place... campgrounds etc.
edit on 13/2/11 by 1088no5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
you can keep canned goods for more than 2 years... expiration dates on canned foods are completely useless. as long as you keep cans in a cool dry place they'll store for 10+ years. if you wax cans, which will prevent any water from oxidizing the can, they'll keep for 20+ years. waxing cans is extremely easy... just get some paraffin wax, preferably non-colored/scented. you can find it at craft stores. melt wax in a medium sized saucepan, and double coat the cans in the wax.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 1088no5

Thank you im going to go with the DEEP WELL HAND WATER PUMP the price is resonable..thanks for takeing the time to look that up for me

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
This thread is dedicated to what should and shouldn't be stocked up on.

Flower

Add to the list if you want and if you want to argue with one of my items be calm about it.

ummm... not everybody smokes man.

Besides... flour looses its nutritional content quickly... better to stock up on grain and have your own mill.

I recommend stocking up on cornellius kegs (soda kegs). 5 gallon hermetically sealed stainless storage available used for $40.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Lots of good suggestions in this thread...
S & F to the OP.

Here's my addition:

edit on 2/13/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Lysol... the regular old fresh linen.

It works miracles to kill foot fungus, lets face it we wont be washing clothes much, It kills athletes foot, jock itch, and beleive it or not it will treat poison ivy and oak.
plus it will smell better than your no showering but!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
peoples should have already been stocked
and prepared,.
But ,.. I guess better late than never,.
But like someone already said,.
they cant afford most of this stuff,... bummer you found ATS so late

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The initial list was written while i was really tired and i left some important things off of it. And to all who think that the gov't will be taking my #, think again, hiding # is really easy, especially if you are smart about it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You guys might think this is weird but save your dryer lint!

Nothing better to start a fire with. After every load of laundry just put the lint in a sealed box or in a grocery bag.

And as far as other people taking your stuff, just bury it.

Simple and if you do it right it can be done to leave no trace. It is just a matter of saving the big chunks on top really.

edit on 14-2-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

reply to post by 1088no5

Thank you im going to go with the DEEP WELL HAND WATER PUMP the price is resonable..thanks for takeing the time to look that up for me

You are entirely welcome.
Glad I could help. I love survival threads.

edit on 14/2/11 by 1088no5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleIndianJr.
You guys might think this is weird but save your dryer lint!

Nothing better to start a fire with. After every load of laundry just put the lint in a sealed box or in a grocery bag.

And as far as other people taking your stuff, just bury it.

Simple and if you do it right it can be done to leave no trace. It is just a matter of saving the big chunks on top really.

edit on 14-2-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)
Steel wool
and a 9v battery are great fire starters,.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Windmills and other stuff:

If you live on a farm get Farm Show Magazine Volume II. It has LOTS and LOTS of ideas.
It has ideas for homemade windmills and water generator set ups. If you have a hill, two ponds with a drop of 4ft between will let you set up an electrical generator. Use the windmill to move water between ponds.

Another good but old book is Build it better yourself.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveyourlife
What is the proper way to store rice? I see people stating they are storing large quantaties of rice. My personal experience with rise is that if you keep a bag of whole grain rice to long in your cupboard...moths come out of it. This has happened to me twice. Am I not soring it properly, or it this a natural phenomenom? It was stored in a plastic bag. Ive also seen something on TV about nuts stored for a year or more will produce beetles. Anyone no anything about this?

Beer brewing bins, very strong, snap shut lid, keeps rice for like ever.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Thanks i will look into that magazine ..If anything i like to read about things that you can build but alot of stuff cost so much to get started..money is something i don't have alot of

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Didn't know flower was a bad idea and thanks for the can info, also didn't know that. Have heard that cans are usually good as long as they remain sealed. And a 22 pistol and 10/22 would be really nice to put on my list of things that i have stored up. (would need ammo, sub and regular, for them to)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join