It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Won't Allow Student With Seizures to Take Marijuana Pill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

School Won't Allow Student With Seizures to Take Marijuana Pill

www.foxnews.com

A teenager who was prescribed medical marijuana for a neurological condition is being told he cannot attend school if he is “under the influence,” kdvr.com reported.

The teenager, who is not being named for privacy reasons, has myaclonus diaphragmatic flutter – a condition that causes him to have seizures in his chest and throat.

The boy’s father, Shan Moore, said the marijuana can be taken in the form of a lozenge or a pill. However, under state law, the teen cannot have marijuana on school.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.kdvr.com

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is an asinine policy by the school. The student is legally prescribed marijuana in pill form from a doctor yet can not take his medicine due to an ignorant policy. It is not like he was a baggie of the stuff, it sounds like he has a prescription bottle of pills/lozenges. It amazes me how backwards this country can be.

Unfortunately common sense never prevails in cases like this and the kids family will be forced to hire a lawyer to force the school to be reasonable. If it were my kid in this situation I just simply would not tell the school that my kid is on the medicine.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I can see both side of this stoy: 1 the kid needs it so i say let him have it,2 I know there will some kids get mad because they can't smoke a joint. Rules are rules i get that but some can be bent for medical reasons i've seen it done

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A school should not have authority over a child's prescribed medicines. They should keep their noses in their scholastic business.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm still surprised at how ignorant people are to the medical benefits of hemp/mairjuana... One day things will change

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

I can totally understand why.

Don't they teach american history in schools anymore?

You see sonny this is How Marijuana Became Illegal :

What is hemp? Just another word for marijuana?
Cannabis Hemp was one of history's most widely used plants. Tincture of Cannabis was the basis for almost every patent medicine prior to the discovery of aspirin. Hemp was used for rope, twine, and cloth. Sailing ships were loaded with hemp. The word "canvas" is derived from "cannabis", because that's what canvas was. Sails were made of hemp because salt water deteriorated cotton. Old sails were made into wagon covers and ultimately original Levi's Jeans. And the pressed oil from hemp seeds was used for paints and varnishes. Everyone knew what hemp was. But nobody knew what marijuana was.

Nobody knew what it was.

Basically, it came down to this. America in the 1900's saw two powerful rivals, agriculture and industry, faced off over several multi-billion dollar markets. When Rudolph Diesel produced his engine in 1896, he'd assumed it would run off of vegetable and seed oils, especially hemp, which is superior to petroleum. Just think about that for a second. A fuel that can be grown by our farmers that is superior to foreign oil. What a lot of history would have been rewritten!

Indeed a magical plant!

Ok. So we have an elite group of special interests dominated by Du Pont petrochemical company and it's major financial backer and key political ally, Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon. Mellon was a banker who took over Gulf Oil Corporation. In 1913, Henry Ford opened his first auto assembly line, and Gulf Oil opened its first drive-in gas station. In 1919, with ethanol fuel poised to comptete with gasoline, Alchohol Prohibition descended on the nation. Lucky Mellon. When President Harding made him Secretary of the Treasury, he was considered the richest man in America. In the 1920's, Mellon arranged for his bank to loan his buddies as Du Pont money to take over General Motors. Du Pont had developed new gasoline additives and the sulfate and sulfite process that made trees into paper.

n the 1930's, Ford Motor Company operated a successful biomass fuel conversion plant using cellulose at Iron Mountain, Michigan. Ford engineers extracted methanol, charcoal fuel, tar, pitch ethyl-acetate and creosote from hemp. The same fundamental ingredients for industry were also being made from fossil fuels.

Read all about it here!

Filthy filthy fossil fuels.

Anyways, if this stuff catches a bad rap from some bs propaganda put out by those friendly BIG OIL guys....

Why should we give a hoot if its working for someone or not, especially when prescribed by a doctor.

With all the chemicals in pharmaceuticals, give me a break.

Hell BubbleTape bubble gum now contains Aspartame, a proven cancer causing toxin.

Let the kid goto school.

s&f
edit on 10-2-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I could understand if students could not take prescription pain killers or adderall(amphetamines) because both have a very high chance of being abused then maybe the school's ruling would make sense. However this is not the case, there are a lot og grey areas with medical marijuana and the legality of it but I think the evidence is overwhelming that it does treat some serious medical conditions rather well. The school system and those againse medicinal marijuana need to pull their heads of the sand and stop buying into the "Reefer Madness" lie.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
"have seizures in his chest and throat"

I don' t understand this . I thought seizures were a neurological thing

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
anybody who does not understand the benefits of marijuana or believes that it should remain illegal would do the world a big favor by going and having themselves sterilized so as not to pollute the gene pool any further...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
they prefer the student take a pharmaceutical drug synthesized in a lab and made out of petroleum by-products with a list of side effects that would scare dr. mengele, than ingest the bud of an all natural plant that the worst side effect is a bad case of the munchies and making jay leno funny.

that or spasm out on the floor and be rushed to the emergency room in an attempt to save his life.

anything but give credit that the evil marijuana plant isn't as harmful as the government says it is, but that it could actually save your life.

that's when you know a government is broken. when it would rather let it's citizens die and be sick than admit that they are wrong.

edit on 10-2-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
I'm still surprised at how ignorant people are to the medical benefits of hemp/mairjuana... One day things will change

Those same people will take morphine prescriptions for severe pain and not bat an eyelash that Morphine is the most abundant alkaloid found in opium

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This is so not right - so very backwards.
School Districts are becoming nothing more than an extension of Big Brother.
Poor kid, if I were his parents I would take him out of school - try home school
or tutoring.

link   

edit on 10-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

link   
Schools are retarded. My sister got suspended for having a bottle of asprins FFS...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
If it were my kid in this situation I just simply would not tell the school that my kid is on the medicine.

I doubt the parents broadcast it. I would suspect that the kid may have bragged about it? Otherwise how would anyone know what was in the pill?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

He should just go smoke it round the back of the gym in his lunch break with the other kids since he's not allowed his perscription lozenge.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Actually I would assume the parents followed the proper way to do things and notified the school about medication. These days if you are on medication, you are expected to leave it with the nurse, even if it is just OTC, and let them dole it out... At least in NY that was how it was.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

According to the article his parents tried to the 'right thing' and wanted to give the Rx to the school's nurse so the student could see the nurse when he needed his medicine. That is the when the shtf on the kid and his family and the school layed down the law.
edit on 10-2-2011 by jrod because: clean up

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Oh you can be under the influence alright... You just gotta choose from their pre authorized list of drugs, like Adderal or Ritalin, or Prozac. I`m sure the school is worried about what the parents will think when their kid comes home and says the school lets their friend take thc pills. It would be nice to see an opposite reaction than they expected from parents and see the parents stand up for this kid and his medically prescribed marijuana. if the schools saw that people are accepting it a lot more these days, then they could change their policy...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
As prescriptions for psychotropic drugs soar for children...

Many children are being identified as potential recipients of psychotropic drugs through government-supported, school-based mental health “screening.” Is this uncovering a vast, previously unrecognized epidemic, as Richard Friedman, M.D., of the Psychopharmacology Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical School, holds (N Engl J Med 2006;355:2717-2719)?

There are finally legislatures acting to bar schools from strong arming parents into medicating their children

The fourth time was the charm for the so-called "Ritalin bill," signed into law Friday by Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. The new law bars schools from forcing parents to put their kids on psychotropic drugs such as Ritalin. The law is the first of its kind in the nation, said Madeline Kriescher, a health policy associate at the National Conference for State Legislatures. "Utah is pretty much on the forefront of doing that sort of thing," she said.

But, for a strange twist of irony, consider the case of the Conneticutt State Supreme Court forcing a marijuana traffiker as defendant to take psychotropic drugs in order to stand trial:

The state Supreme Court of Connecticut ruled that a 30 year-old man should be forced to take psychotropic medication in order to be fit to stand trial of possession of more than 8 pounds of marijuana. Christopher Seekins of Torrington Connecticut had been ruled incompetent to stand trial due to his bipolar disorder. The high court ruled in a stunning 7-0 vote that his possession charge is a serious enough crime to warrant forcing medication on the defendant.

The horrors of "reefer madness" cannot compare to the insanity of ambitious government employees.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join