It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Day in Pictures: A Reminder....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So today I finally watched a movie I had been meaning to search out, but hadn't yet. Some posts here this morning on ATS compelled me to and both my husband and I were able to see Gasland together. (HBO on demand)
Link to Gasland website

He didn't even want to watch it and admitted later he had planned on taking a nap after I started it. But he got sucked in and afterward it led to an amazing conversation between us about the state of our country. The documentary left me feeling sick to my stomach. My husband had never heard of fracking before and I knew a little bit from what I had read here. Seems the MSM doesn't like reporting the downside much. Although I knew it was bad, I had absolutely no idea just how horrible it is and it looks like it will get worse.

Anyways....I felt enlightened but sick at the same time. Needing to be reminded what it is about this world that I love so much, I do what I often do when feeling overwhelmed. I went outside. It happened to be a beautiful day here today in the Pacific Northwest. One of those cold, crisp days with deep blue skies and only a few clouds on the horizon. We don't get them very often. Seeing the beauty, I again did what I often do when needing to capture that beauty so I can remember it on the cold, wet and grey days. I grabbed my camera.

I thought some of you might enjoy going on my walk with me, seeing some of the beautiful things God has blessed us with, and to remember that no matter how much we frack it up....this earth will always prevail.

I was first greeted with a clear moon against a bluish/purple sky:

As I started walking down my street in search of an eagle I saw a lenticular cloud! Funny, because I had just been discussing them here on ATS with some other members. Normally they are seen immediately above a montain top:

Some geese took flight as I walked past their field of choice:

On the other side of the street a hawk soared above the trees....or perhaps a gold eagle??

...and then, just when I had given up, into my view emerged my original goal. A bald eagle! A vivid reminder of the beauty and grace our country did and can stand for:

By the time I got home, I was finally at peace. No matter how bad things get, we are still and always will be blessed with God's grace if we only choose to see it!

This last picture I did not take on my walk today, but in my backyard a few months ago. Some people do not get it. For me, it is a very powerful image. Please everyone, every once in awhile, look at a blade of grass.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What beautiful and inspiring photos! I would look at a blade of grass but our grass is burried beneath mountains of snow right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Its interesting that the guy who made the movie is now on a watch list.
Your pictures are beautiful.
I too wish we weren't sh**ting in our own backyard but we have allowed greed and complacency to rule our lives.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Westcoast S&F for you. make everyday just like this one. my wife and I are fixing to head down to Patagonia again this spring. as the sailmaker is busy on her sails. I am busy on her bottom
I prefer to live on 12 volts and limited space then to be in a crowded subdivision. Instead of waiting for the world to end, enjoy everyday like it was your last.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Thank you for all for the comments!

It seems that no matter how down things might try to get us, there is always something of beauty around us to remind us of what is really important.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Our world is full of anger, hate, violence, greed, pain, sorrow, destruction, fear, etc.etc.etc. We see and/or hear about it everyday. There is no escaping the negativity within our world, and sadly, this negativity often blinds many of us. It causes us to not stop, and look around. We are surrounded by the miracles of nature every day, and often forget about them. I am not excluding myself. I too, at times, am guilty of overlooking the beauty that surrounds us all.

No artist ever has, nor ever will compare to the beauties that our Mother Nature shows us all the time. I often need to keep reminding myself of this. For example, the sunrise/sunset: It is easy to just glance at it and then turn our heads, but taking the time to stop, watch it closely, and enjoy it to its fullest can be a wonderful experience. Even some of the most simplest of things can be amazing if we just stop, and take the time to look. Such as a blade of grass, a small stream, a single tree, one cloud, or a tiny bug. Miracles really are everywhere. This rock that we live on is a very beautiful place.

Thank you for reminding me of this.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Nice pics westcoast.
I take it you live near a river if you see bald eagles regularly.
I once saw one steal a fish from an Osprey - he dived on the Osprey which let go of the fish then the B.Eagle pulled in his wings and dove down and caught it. We we awed.

There is ALWAYS something in nature to be found that is beautiful and/or interesting.
I can see why kids who play indoors all day are losing interest in life - they're missing out on the bigger world outdoors that helps keep our sense of curiosity and awe alive.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your walk with us. Nice imagery in words and the pics were incredible.

It is important that we "stop and smell the roses". Life has become so wrapped around earning a living, that we have forgotten how to live. If we don't drag those kids outside ourselves, they will have no motivation to do it themselves as adults, then our grandkids will never know what is missing. I have been around kids who had never heard a glass sing. Having several kinds of crystal and sizes in shapes, I took then all out of the cabinets, ex hubs and kids thought I was loosing it, till I started filling with bits of water, and moistened my finger tips and the rims began to sing. I invited them all to help. I stepped back and watched 3 kids and a grown man make the most wonderful cacophony heard. The older boys later went to google why the tones were so loud and clear based upon the vibration between fingerprint ,water, and glass rim. Now on occasion one of us will remind us all while they are doing dishes with a short serenade.

Lets hope we can save this big rock and pictures is not all we have left.

edit on 11-2-2011 by SunflowerStar because: grammer

edit on 11-2-2011 by SunflowerStar because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Awesome pics. The blade of grass picture makes me think you've already heard of this. You should look into a book title One Square inch of Silence. Your pictures make me think you would appreciate it. Here is a link to the author's website.

onesquareinch.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Very nice thread! It reminds us that there's still beauty in this world of hatred and corruption. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. I agree with the posts above - this world is so full of negativity that sometimes you forget to enjoy the awesome things around you, no matter how small or large. When I have a very stressful day, I find the only way I can calm down is to take a walk through the woods at the State Park down the street from me. I walk slowly and pay attention to EVERYTHING around me - the birds singing, the insects crawling, the wind blowing through the leaves, the water flowing in the creek... I usually go alone & try to find the spots less travelled so I can feel more at one with Nature. She is very calming

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Westcoast !

these are awesome pis

simply breathtaking......

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks again for the input you guys!

Yes, I live near the skagit river. It is known for its eagles. A tributary, or slough courses past my backyard, giving me a literal oasis. I use that as a canvas for a big chunk of my pictures. Here is one I took a month or so ago of it:

The actuall river itself is about a mile down the road, which is where I walk to. No matter how many times I walk this route, I am always surprised at what I see. My neighbors may think I am wierd since I am usually looking up, down, or even walking with my eyes closed pointed at the sun.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rakkasansct

I have never heard of this place before! How cool is that? I looked at the pictures of the park at the website and oh wow...now I know where one of our camping trips will be this summer.

Funny you mention the olympics. Last week when I was out walking, on my way back as I was looking back towards horizon, i noticed something. Thinking it couldn't be, I zoomed in with my camera and sure enough, there they were! This picture does them no justice, but I took it anyways as proof that I actually saw the olympic range from my road. Amazing optical illusions....

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you, Westcoast. Wonderful pictures -- as we have come to expect in your posts! (You now have a standard to live up to, you know...
)

I understand what you mean about the blade of grass. Strangely, looking at that image you posted reminded me of the time I spent watching a flower. (It's in my signature.) We can learn something of ourselves by contemplating nature -- even the quietest and most peaceful aspects of it.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

Funny you should mention that about making crystal glasses sing... We have a guy here in Prague who plays crystal glasses and he can often be seen on Charles bridge giving his concerts. Just watching him set up then tune the glasses is something to see. Here he is playing "Ave Maria":

And yes, that's truly what it sounds like... They're amazingly loud. (Czech crystal is perfect for this!)

Mike

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
S+F OP.

In a world that is quickly turning upside down, I find myself with more angry thoughts and frustrations... I often forget that is alright to take a moment and be happy. I used to be happy... Your beautiful photo's uplifted me, our planet is truly amazing. We should all remember to enjoy it as much as possible

Namaste

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Thank you! That my thread uplifted the spirits of even one person, made it all the worthwhile. You put a smile on my face.

JustMike....thanks, now that I know there are standards I'm feeling the pressure (just kiddin).

I have been wanting to try and show some of my pics locally for the past year but just haven't gotten it done yet. That I have a way of sharing here with so many people is just so cool. It isn't about making any money for me, but expressing something and hopefully evoking those same emotions in others. I will have to read your flower link later...looking forward to it!!

I'll leave you with one of my favorites:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thats lovely. I am not musically inclined, but mother used to entertain me as a child with that, so I had to do the same with "my kids".

Makes me want to go wash some wine glasses. Thanks for the video, too, thats inspiring.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
lovely thread..
thank you
kx

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What a beautiful thread ! I loved the pictures so serene and calming..sometimes i think people need to open there eyes and look around there is alot of beautiful sites on our planet ..I'm lucky to live in the country and i see alot of what our earth has to offer..thank you for making me smile~~

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join