It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Anti-war Billboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Check out Aljazeera.Net for an article that says Clear Channel is in a Manhattan Court trying to stop Project Billboard from posting an antiwar billboard in NYC Times Square during the Republican Convention on a billboard that they leased from Clear Channel. The billboard depicts a flag draped bomb and the message "Democracy is best taught by example- not by war". Looks to become a campaign issue as Clear Channel is a major supporter of Republicans and is objecting to this display more vehemently that they objected to the Dixie Chicks. Ain't it awful!! If you want to know what's going on in your own country you have to tune in the opposition!!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by j2ts2
Check out Aljazeera.Net for an article that says Clear Channel is in a Manhattan Court trying to stop Project Billboard from posting an antiwar billboard in NYC Times Square during the Republican Convention on a billboard that they leased from Clear Channel. The billboard depicts a flag draped bomb and the message "Democracy is best taught by example- not by war". Looks to become a campaign issue as Clear Channel is a major supporter of Republicans and is objecting to this display more vehemently that they objected to the Dixie Chicks. Ain't it awful!! If you want to know what's going on in your own country you have to tune in the opposition!!

It is going to be a mess when they come here. They are preparing for anarchist attacks now. It will be almost impossible to navigate in most of Midtown Manhattan.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   

If you want to know what's going on in your own country you have to tune in the opposition!!

Not really. I heard this story on a local conservative radio station this morning, there was actually a discussion for about 15 or 20 minutes.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yea...super...thats what I want...A big Anti-American billboard sitting in Manhattan...a place where everybody knows someone whos died in 9/11...a place where the war on terrorism started...yea...i want my friends coming back from overseas to see this...Clear Channel is garbage...we could do without this in NYC...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
Yea...super...thats what I want...A big Anti-American billboard sitting in Manhattan...a place where everybody knows someone whos died in 9/11...a place where the war on terrorism started...yea...i want my friends coming back from overseas to see this...Clear Channel is garbage...we could do without this in NYC...

how is the poster anti-american?

and clear channel is the company who wants to stop the poster being put up.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I still dont like Clear Channel...just has to let that be known...an this poster is Anti-American...How can you call a Bomb colored with stars and stripes otherwise?...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Keep the slogan...fine...but change the image...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Well thats the problem with free speech, sometimes you won't like what other have to say. Considering that they won't allow people to protest I think that if they want to put a billboard up to protest the war, and if they are paying for the right to do it, then they should be allowed to.

I'm glad that I dont live in NYC or Boston during the conventions, both cities are going to be shut down. They're damn near declaring martial law in those cities. The GOP convention is going to be guarded by over 10,000 policemen, nearly every street withing blocks of both conventions will be closed. They're even closing part of the Boston Harbor.

But as Lewis Black of the Daily Show stated, "the last person to make it through Boston in less than three hours anyway was shouting "The British are coming"."

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
First of all US is a democracy, and for our troops they need to know that they were used by lied to by this administration that took the 9/11 tragedy to pursued his own political and financial agenda that had nothing to do with the American people and their pain.

The billboard is a message, we as the greatest nation of the world should have used better ways to fight the terrorist attacks than by invasion of a country that obviously did not have anything to do with what Al-queda did.

Where is bin-laden? That is what the billboard should say.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeyer
Well thats the problem with free speech, sometimes you won't like what other have to say. Considering that they won't allow people to protest I think that if they want to put a billboard up to protest the war, and if they are paying for the right to do it, then they should be allowed to.

I'm glad that I dont live in NYC or Boston during the conventions, both cities are going to be shut down. They're damn near declaring martial law in those cities. The GOP convention is going to be guarded by over 10,000 policemen, nearly every street withing blocks of both conventions will be closed. They're even closing part of the Boston Harbor.

You dont know much....for one...NYC is a hell of alot bigger then mid-town manhattan (the "closed" section)....And 10,000 cops isnt sh@t compared to the numbers of protesters that will be there...add a couple of zero's...and I dont know where you get your news...but only one group is having problems with getting a permit...and thats because they want to fit a few thousand people on the lawn of the mayors office (not physically possible)...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Is America a democracy? Strange.
1) Your freedom of speech is being taken away.
2) Your President is a dictator.
3) Your constitution is being rewritten/anulled.

Yeah....America is a lovely democracy.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjamison
Is America a democracy? Strange.
1) Your freedom of speech is being taken away.
2) Your President is a dictator.
3) Your constitution is being rewritten/anulled.

Yeah....America is a lovely democracy.

None of those are true. How is democracy down in South Africa?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Although South Africa is supposed to have one of the best constitutions in the world, corruption, as is normal in government and civil service, is rampant. Just as long as I get something back on my tax return.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Scanned for the ususal....

CNN - ClearChannel Anti-War Ad Flap

A NY Times story too. But no Image.

Hoping it shows up here...

www.clearchannelsucks.org...

The lack of an image during a public debate over it's use, just tells me this Anti-War group are AMATEURS. Anyone knows the sizzle is better than the steak. They've got the hype they wanted. Backlash in place.
But not releasing the image for the news to show what all the hubbub is about is lame, lame, lame. It's PR 101. Make news of your ad campaign.

They could have reached millions more than the billboard would have for free. The billboard already won't happen. It's ClearChannel property. All they have to do is pay the fine for breaking a contract.

Let us know if anyone sees the ad in mainstream media as part of a news story. Normally that's the main reason people make political ads. So the networks can "discuss" them.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
"Settlement Reached"

www.projectbillboard.org...

Clear Channel approves new ad replacing Bomb imagery with Dove.

What did I tell you? Amatuers.

The controversy over being banned was better. Compromised free speech is not free speech. Now they get the honor of paying Clear Channel to promote a concept so ambiguous it could misconstrued as Pro-Republican. And the controversy disappears. LAME.

I only found out about any of this (or found ProjectBillboard) from a random post on the MusicForAmerica.org blogsite...

Hi I am Amy Harmon, president of Project Billboard. You can check out our site at www.projectbillboard.org

I prefered the bomb outside the Republican National Convention myself.

FYI: [email protected]

[edit on 18-7-2004 by RANT]

I figured it out! It's not that Project Billboard doesn't know what it's doing. It's that ClearChannel has infiltrated POD PEOPLE!!!

Deborah Rappaport, Board Member of Project Billboard: "We are impressed with the options [ClearChannel] Spectacolor presented to us and appreciate their cooperation and flexibility."

[edit on 18-7-2004 by RANT]

top topics

join