It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy birthday to France

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
WD - How would you like it if I attacked the United States on July 4 in a birthday thread? If I said that all Americans are arrogant bullies? Would you like that? No, you wouldn't.

And YES, I'm proud of my French roots. I started this thread because I wanted to underline what France contributed to civilization. Not to start a fight.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by Otts]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

As a French Canadian, I have been quite angered in the past at how France and the French have been treated for their opposition to the War in Iraq.

As a Canadian Canadian, I have not been.

Anyways... Happy Birthday!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sorry Otts, I am just trying to deny ignorance. Sometimes I get too into it.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Insults will not be tolerated in this thread Zzub has already poited this out!

Keep on topic!

Asala

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
intrepid - no, it's all good... I wasn't aiming at you. You didn't *start* a fight. You just defended the spirit in which this thread was meant.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Here's another problem with ATS. People can come into a thread and say the most ignorant, vile, and hateful things yet we aren't allowed to call them idiots or cuss them out. Sad really....

I guess next 4th O July, someone should compile a list of all of America's past misdeeds (that would be one long list) and post it in the Happy Independence Day thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Not being onesided! i said all insults would not be tolerated.

That goes for everyone, Now if you have issues on how this is delt with please use the complaints thing not this thread..

Thanks Asala

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Happy B-day France! Although I do not agree with the current
War on terror, I am American Vet of the 1st Gulf War and I will
always support my Constitution. France had a Major role in
helping the United States during the Revolution and I am sure
America will always be grateful for that.

What I do not understand about the French people is
why do they have so much animosity towards the
United States? We have always tried to help France
as gratitude for their help to us in the past............
yet France tries to undermine the U.S. every chance it
gets, why?

Originally posted by Otts
As a French Canadian, I have been quite angered in the past at how France and the French have been treated for their opposition to the War in Iraq. An entire nation was vilified by American public opinion and American politicians, and portrayed as a "nation of surrenderers". I feel that this was incredibly unjust.

I'm not making this thread to start a debate. I'm just starting it to remind people that although you may disagree with one decision France made in 2003 (not to support the invasion of Iraq) you may want to remember that as much as other nations, France as a claim to 2,000 years of history and played a good part in building our modern civilization.

- France was one of the three main European powers who founded modern North American society

- It's in part because of France's support that the United States managed to throw off the yoke of the British in 1783

- It's in part because of France, its Revolution and its Declaration of the Rights of Man that democracy spread to Europe in the 19th century

- A good number of the Founding Fathers of America were influenced by French thinkers like Voltaire and Montesquieu

- France fought bravely in the 1914-18 war to resist invasion by Germany, and stood fast even though the battles on its soil were terrible

I shall deny ignorance, and I shall remember.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FRANCE.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Happy Bastille Day France!

Today for the first time British troops marched at the head of France's Bastille Day parade to celebrate 100 years of the Entente Cordiale.

And of course Scotland remembers the Auld Alliance

Vive La France! Vive la Difference!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ad reads as follows on Ebay...

Antique French WWII Rifles For Sale.
Conditions as follows
ropped once, Never fired

I ked, I ked....

[edit on 7/14/2004 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I am so embarrassed by some of these posts by Americans. World, if you are reading this, we're not all jerks.

EDIT: That wasn't aimed specifically at you bobbafett1972.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by curme]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Notice I made it quite clear that I wish kidding all in good fun...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Ey Spiderj... Read some history books... The french kicked out some english butts in 1066 and the english crown became french from William (Guillaume) Duc de Normandie, they built windsor castle and started a new era for England.

I think you've mistaken me with another poster because I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I never said anything abnout 99.9% or whatever the hell you were ranting at me about.

Yeesh.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Indeed, I'm sorry for some of that ignorant flaming. Thats not the way I am. I had a bad day, sorry for taking it out on all of you.

Forgive and forget, shall we? It was innocent taunts, nothing more. Didn't really say anything to harmful. BTW: Otts, if you did indeed want to flame the "Happy Independance Day" thread, by all means, go ahead. Free Speech IS in the Bill of Rights of course.

:EDIT: Although, in regards to the warning, why did you send me one? Yes, I do know that I said the word "bastard", however, I have seen worse been said and no warning go out. Why is that? Also, regarding the Free Speech, I guess freedom is a concept that ATS has yet to achieve. I have the right to my opinion, which I did express, and you have the right to yours. A "warning" would be the equal of a "internet arrest".

Why, then, was I warned over something I was doing in Free Speech.

Cussing out the President all you want is allowed. Attacking him isn't. I made no and do not have means to, and am not going to physically harm anyone on this site. Why then, is Free Speech banned from this site?

-wD

[edit on 14-7-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Happy Birthday to France!

I also feel the world is a richer place because of France's contributions.

We must not allow ourselves to let politics so blind us as to forget the many ties and friendships which exist between the US and France.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
KrazyIvan - So, if I get your drift from what you posted, France is a worthless, lazy, useless country that should be wiped off the face of the earth, right? So why don't we drop the bomb on them and be rid of them?

And who better to do the job than the almighty, all-encompassing United States of America? After all, you guys are always victorious and always right, aren't you?

Sheesh. Try to honor a country on its birthday and to get some even-handedness and you find more American self-righteousness...

always right, no. (see iraqi wmds)

always victorious, no. (se vietnam and bay of pigs)

its just that the US is everyones go to buddy when the # hits the fan and its our guys doing the bleeding. we sure coulda used some french, or european troops for that matter, in somilia in '93. after all the cutrnt situation in africa (civil wars and famines) is a result of european countries breaking up tribes and moving them together back when they were trying to colonize the place. its your mess and the US is not the janitor. your mother doenst liver here any more so clean up your own mess!

and i bet you didnt know this. back when france had troops in indochina, ho chi min asked eisenhower to drop the bomb on them. luckly ike wasnt stupid.

if france didnt screw up all the time i wouldnt be this way. screw ups like the magino line, and selling saddam huisein a nuclear reactor? appesing the nazis, being apart of nato but not putting any troops forward to use in said treaty organization.

not to mention being one of the most anti islamic nations in the world.

if it wasnt for the US everyone in france would be speaking german or calling everyone comrade. liberating american soilders though german civilians were nicer than the french.

the only thing i thank them for is helping us in the revolution. although they did come in late. everything in the XXth century i think they owe the US big time. helped to lick the germans twice, not to metion liberating the entire country the second time around, being a force in europe so the communist woludnt get any bright ideas, denying a request from ho chi min not to nuke them in indo china. trying to clean up the mess in africa. not taking action agnsit thme for selling a nuc reactor to so damn insane.

once they start puling their weight in the world il have some more respect for them.

[edit on 7-15-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
*bump*

Happy Bastille Day 2007!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Happy Birthday to the country with the best football team in the world! Besides the Netherlands, of course

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Sure the French have participate in about a million wars with the brits and have a loss factor of 99.9% so they sure did contribute to our modern society have a good one

Nice. Coming from someone who equates "modern society" with killing people. But then again who would expect anything less from your post.

Happy b-day France.

brill

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join