It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
As a French Canadian, I have been quite angered in the past at how France and the French have been treated for their opposition to the War in Iraq.
Originally posted by Otts
As a French Canadian, I have been quite angered in the past at how France and the French have been treated for their opposition to the War in Iraq. An entire nation was vilified by American public opinion and American politicians, and portrayed as a "nation of surrenderers". I feel that this was incredibly unjust.
I'm not making this thread to start a debate. I'm just starting it to remind people that although you may disagree with one decision France made in 2003 (not to support the invasion of Iraq) you may want to remember that as much as other nations, France as a claim to 2,000 years of history and played a good part in building our modern civilization.
- France was one of the three main European powers who founded modern North American society
- It's in part because of France's support that the United States managed to throw off the yoke of the British in 1783
- It's in part because of France, its Revolution and its Declaration of the Rights of Man that democracy spread to Europe in the 19th century
- A good number of the Founding Fathers of America were influenced by French thinkers like Voltaire and Montesquieu
- France fought bravely in the 1914-18 war to resist invasion by Germany, and stood fast even though the battles on its soil were terrible
I shall deny ignorance, and I shall remember.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FRANCE.
Ey Spiderj... Read some history books... The french kicked out some english butts in 1066 and the english crown became french from William (Guillaume) Duc de Normandie, they built windsor castle and started a new era for England.
Originally posted by Otts
KrazyIvan - So, if I get your drift from what you posted, France is a worthless, lazy, useless country that should be wiped off the face of the earth, right? So why don't we drop the bomb on them and be rid of them?
And who better to do the job than the almighty, all-encompassing United States of America? After all, you guys are always victorious and always right, aren't you?
Sheesh. Try to honor a country on its birthday and to get some even-handedness and you find more American self-righteousness...
Originally posted by WestPoint23
Sure the French have participate in about a million wars with the brits and have a loss factor of 99.9% so they sure did contribute to our modern society have a good one