It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy birthday to France

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't think France has forgotten 1917 and the doughboys who came to help.

All I'm saying is that you can disagree with a government's actions or policies, but you cannot cast an entire nation as a nation of losers, appeasers or surrenderers. The French government might have some stakes in Iraqi oil (and so did the U.S., which is why I can't fathom why that argument is being used against France). It doesn't mean that all the French people who demonstrated against the war did it because of that reason.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ey Spiderj... Read some history books... The french kicked out some english butts in 1066 and the english crown became french from William (Guillaume) Duc de Normandie, they built windsor castle and started a new era for England.

They kicked out again the english out of the continent after the 100 year war in 14xx.

It took the whole damn europe to stop Napoleon from taking it and it saved America from the british project to take it back. The man sold... yes sold to the US half its actual territory.

Stop bragging with "99.9 loss ratio" the Us would not even exist without the french blocus of brits reinforcement.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
well every french i met hates americans and are nasty to us, not just recenfly but since years ago they acted that way, even if i was nice as can be they insulted and derided me.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
people emptying bottles of French wine into the ocean that really got me...

OMG, that is wrong on so many levels. Wonder if the make a nice reisling?

Originally posted by American Mad Man
The most indicative thing about this post are the events that France contributed to and ther place in history. Notice they haven't done ANYTHING since WWI. France used to be a nation that could be respected. Now they are a bunch of coward surrender monkeys

You know, I checked the threads on America's Ind. Day and I didn't see one person flame Amer., as a warmongerer. Why are you doing this?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Happy B-Day France! I'll be sure to get tipsy on some cheap French wine to celebrate! Libertie, Fraternite, et Egaliete.

Like Otts said, people always tend to forget the horrible battles of WWI. The French took the brunt of that war and kept fighting!

then why couldnt they put up that much fight in WWII? the resistance di more damage than the regular french army.

dont make me whip out french military history again

[edit on 7-14-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Please remember those 69,382 dead American troops buried in France,
as the French seem to have forgotten them.

France has every right to disagree with America, but France has moved from simple dissent to active hostility toward America.

France President Chirac warned East European nations that if they sided with the US, France would oppose their membership in the European Union.

Two years agos William Safire reported in the New York Times that France had been secretly helping to arm Iraq and had been helping Iraq build long range missiles. These same missiles may have possibly be used against our own US soldiers.

Not to mention the attitude President Chirac displayed at the recent G8 Summit. Just as France has exercised its right to disagree, Americans can exercise their right to disagree with the French.

And you wonder why Americans are bitter!

john

What about France trying to Block any sanctions on the Sudan. The goverment is allowing a genoside to go on there. You might ask why France would oppose these actions In a couple of words: Oil Concessionaires Gives new meaning to "No Blood for Oil" ehh?

The United States has been pressing for new UN sanctions against Sudan, and most observers of Darfur want a UN-mandated peacekeeping force. So, I am told, do many high level US officials. Such a force could be small yet effective, and several African nations are eager to supply troops. The price would be minimal compared to the (albeit defered) cost of inaction. So why is this logical choice not being made? Why is the "international community" not willing to confront the Sudanese governing regime and force them to accept such an intervention? Because the international community includes several powerful nations who have lucrative oil-related business with Sudan. First on the list are France and China. And let's see, what nations are currently arguing against stronger action on Sudan?

The UN is not without blame here though they have been draging there feet while thousands perhaps millions are killed. Just another showing of how unaffective the UN has become

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
SpiderJ - California, huh? Cool! My girlfriend lives there and yes, she's quite a Cali wine aficionado. And she's teaching me some!

American Madman - I was going to respond to you, but on second thought your comment is not worth my time.

KrazyIvan - Common belief is that people in the French army warned the higher-ups as early as 1938 that France wasn't ready to fight a war. Essentially, France put all its faith in the Maginot line, which wasn't designed to resist to the Panzer tank. It was an incredible mistake. Plus, France had the big disadvantage of sharing a long border with Germany, which meant it was easily overrun.

At least, while France was trying (and failing) to resist invasion, it gave England two months to scramble to organize its own resistance.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
french military history. and note the site i got this from is not american run.

- Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

- Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
- Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
- Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
- Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
- In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
- Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
- Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

- War on Terrorism
- France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "Can we count on the French?", but rather "How long until France collapses?"

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."

Or, better still, the quote from last week's Wall Street Journal: "They're there when they need you."

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

KRAZY Ivan I have to say that is a pretty unimpressive tally of outcomes in wars.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Lets not forget about the Oil for Food Program in Iraq.

The money was to help Iraqi women and children but instead has lined the pockets of French and German politicans, not to metion Kofi from the UN.

No wonder France was so against the US, it was all about money and oil which France just lost, not about kill terrorists!

I dont dislike the French, just your Leaders!
John

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Ivan, this thread is about wishing our French bretheren a happy Bastille Day. I don't get this animosity towards these people. If you wish we can debate America's millitary history in that forum. I'm sure Kano could set up a grudge match. It's easy to say Amer. won those wars, they came in once everyone was spent. As for the ones you started, Korea, V.N., War on Drugs(South Amer.), War on Terrorism, you haven't won one yet.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
KrazyIvan - So, if I get your drift from what you posted, France is a worthless, lazy, useless country that should be wiped off the face of the earth, right? So why don't we drop the bomb on them and be rid of them?

And who better to do the job than the almighty, all-encompassing United States of America? After all, you guys are always victorious and always right, aren't you?

Sheesh. Try to honor a country on its birthday and to get some even-handedness and you find more American self-righteousness...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I would also like to sy happy b-day to France. Have been there many times, in the Alsace region. Despite the bad rap they've been getting lately, they are actually very nice people.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If you want to argue about France's military history, start a new thread, this one is about happy birthdays.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
If you want to argue about France's military history, start a new thread, this one is about happy birthdays.

Exactly.Thank you.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It was pointed out to me by a neutral source that my last statement could be read as slander against ALL Americans. That's not what I want, and I got carried away. Thus I apologize to those who would feel offended by my words.

If I condemn people characterizing an entire nation, I shouldn't do it either, even under the influence of anger.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
LoL French Canadian!

Sorry, but heres my rant:

"Modern" America is not what France invented. "Modern" America is rap, drugs, money, shootings, killings, etct etc L o L, and I have yet to hear one good French rapper

Second, Its France's Birthday, who cares.

Thirdly, So what if they helped us back in the 1700's. Lets not forget that they didn't show up until the VERY end of the Revolutionary War. AFTER General Washington had Cornwallis BACKED INTO A WALL. All they did was make sure he didn't escape. Big deal.

Sorry, I don't like France to much. Bunch of white-flag-waving cowards

:EDIT: OK, i saw another reply

Well, you said that France took stakes in Oil. THEY ALSO WANTED TO CLAIM LAND in Afghanistan. Wow, we do all the work and they come in and try to take the land. Gimme a break.

Bunch of cowards refuse to go to war and then try to make money off a war that they:

a) Didn't fight in.
b) Didn't support
c) Not only did they not support it, they constantly "cussed out" the U.S.

And then they try to take the land? Thats some BS if I ever saw some...

-wD

[edit on 14-7-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Sorry, I don't like France to much. Bunch of white-flag-waving cowards

Maybe you should read the WHOLE thread. We've had enough of that juvinille crap. Go out and actually learn something, then come back and make an informed post.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Alright buddy, I won't make a JUVENILE thread. Learn to spell right and come back and make a post.

BTW: I DID read the thread you assuming bastard.

I really don't want to get into a debate right now, but what the hell.

Where do you want to start? Make the first move. I'll follow it up.

:EDIT: Hmm..I see your from Canada. So perhaps you are a French Canadian yourself? If you are, no wonder you are so defensive about me making fun of your precious little country, "eh?"

((hm no answer. OK, well Im going to leave this thread alone then. Good day.))

-wD

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well pal, I'm not French Canadian and I've already made my first move. I spelled it wrong to see if you could pick it out. Wanted to know if you could spell juvenile, goes so well with "detention." Let's take this to another forum. You game?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join