It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Fails To Extend Patriot Act Spy Powers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

LOL, must be another liberal publication. The liberals passed a dozen other laws compensating for "The Patriot Act" over the last 2 years that make the original Patriot Act look like a joke.

Fools gold my friends.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yes Ron Paul! America wake up and do not let the ones who 'represent' you to take your freedoms away! Let alone the whole world. Still, this war is not over yet. :/

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Didn't the government privatize surveillance anyway?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Listen up; 65% of the garbage which represents you voted in favor of this draconian, insidious and UnAmerican law. If you think that's a victory, the cucumber up your anal cavity is permanently irremovable.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This gives me hope, that covertly -- where no lobbyist can find it -- perhaps there are a few people in Congress that are not stupid and evil.

... I know, it's a long shot, but you know, deep, deep down, where they can keep it hidden; heart and brain functioning.

Will anyone hold a war crimes tribunal -- or enforce the Sherman anti-trust laws -- or remove electronic voting? Not holding my breathe or waiting for Santa's sleigh to give me a ride.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkylefletcher
Didn't the government privatize surveillance anyway?

Right. It's perfectly legal for AT&T to pipe ALL OF THE DATA across their lines to a 3rd party. Perhaps headed by the scumbag Poindexter who privatized his Total Information Awareness Project.

Sure, and if my foodstore can know every dang food item I buy, and Google can know everywhere I go on the internet -- we aren't much better off.

>> So yes, if Senator X buys sex in Vegas with a credit card -- then whomever is controlling Senator X to make sure he never has a hearing to bother Corporation Y, will still know all the sordid details. But at least, it's going to COST people like Karl Rove money, and he doesn't get free snooping by the NSA.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
This will be passed on a later date by a simple majority vote. Ive written my rep and asked him to vote no on that issue, but those folks dont listen to us anymore. Unless they have some personal issue with the thing, they will support it as it will be a means to their final solution for us pesky voters.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451

LOL, must be another liberal publication. The liberals passed a dozen other laws compensating for "The Patriot Act" over the last 2 years that make the original Patriot Act look like a joke.

Fools gold my friends.

LOL and call it liberal if you want to but the reality of the situation is that some very prominent self proclaimed Tea Party/Republicans, namely Michele Bachmann, voted to extend the Patriot Act while some of the most liberal Democrats, namely Dennis Kucinich, voted to end it. Go figure.

Personally, I am thankful for any steps taken to dismantle the Patriot Act, piecemeal or otherwise. We have to start somewhere and it looks like this is it. As Larry the cable guy might say, "Get er done."

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
House is once again voting on extending the Patriot Act provisions from last week... it's expected to pass since it will only need a simple majority vote..

as I type this the current tally yays 212 nays 111 no vote 111 1:36 left on the clock..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Looks like you are right, it just happened; voices.washingtonpost.com...

It didn't take them long to reverse that little bit of good news, did it? I guess that's where the old saying, "Nothing good lasts forever" came from.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451

Fools gold my friends.

Name one Law that is more intrusive then this.. This is Law is socialize m at its best.. Led by the Republicans!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

As a liberal-leaning voter, I say GOOD!

I never supported the Patriot Act. If a Republican-dominated House can strike it down, then that will be one positive thing to come out of the recent elections.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Out of the 3 proposed bills on extending the provisions, this one was the best.. only temp extending them through this year, the 2 in the Senate extends them either 2 years or in the REP proposal's case permanently..

It's hard to forecast which one will actually be passed by both houses of Congress.. though I would think that the REP proposal won't make it out of the Senate.

With Big Sis crying that we are at our most serious threat levels since 9/11, you know that one of them will pass, there's not enough new blood in Congress to fight for the people yet...

With 5 more Senators retiring.. 2012 election changeover could actually bring in enough new blood to start voting these Patriot Act provisions out of existence.. Maybe then they could tackle abolishing the DHS..

Wouldn't that be nice ?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Personally, I don't give a damn who gets the credit, I just want the Act repealed. Surprisingly, the fact of the matter is that some very prominent tea party/republicans are voting to keep the Act in place. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Seattle Times /Ap Link

Democrats got only one chance to change the bill: an amendment stating that investigations must comply with the Constitution and that courts must give expedited consideration when a U.S. citizen argues that his or her constitutional rights have been violated. It was defeated on a party-line vote.

The main objections are to what critics see as unconstitutional search-and-seize authority and big-government intrusions into private lives.

"I believe the American people have a legitimate fear of out-of-control government," said conservative Republican Dana Rohrabacher, one of the GOP no votes. "And yes, they have a legitimate fear of out-of-control prosecutors and out-of-control spy networks."

But House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, argued that the courts had consistently upheld the constitutionality of the provisions and that if Congress fails to extend them, "we will forfeit our ability to prevent terrorist attacks." He said a temporary extension "is the only way to provide House members the time to study the law" and consider possible changes.

There it is. Why would Lamar Smith argue against having an amendment stating " that investigations must comply with the Constitution"? Don't legislators take an oath to uphold our Constitution? I would think that should be considered an act of treason. How do these enemy's of the people get elected in the first place? Lamar claims that the Constitution is followed, but he and his party refuses to have it written in as an amendment..

There must be big contracts tied to this renewal as I can see no other reason that they would be pushing for this crap. I'm disgusted.

edit on 15-2-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join