It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Fails To Extend Patriot Act Spy Powers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The calm before the storm... A temporary setback to the alphabet agencies who will disregard it anyway... The spooks never listen to d.c unless it suits them...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Problem with spy powers is that it can be used by governments to hang onto power. Knowledge is power.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Its a start for sure. All of the provisions involved FISA oversight. Now we just need to do away with the warrantless spying.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I heard about this this morning from a local abc news channel. They also said that new rules, soon to be implemented, would require only majority vote to extend the Act and thay they would vote on it again once that rule has taken effect. I was at work, so I couldn't give my complete attention to it. Did anyone else hear this?
edit on 9-2-2011 by For Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Its a start for sure. All of the provisions involved FISA oversight. Now we just need to do away with the warrantless spying.

Do you really think these people will ever be stopped doing the crimes they do? The gov can do anything.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
We should send our Congress a thank-you note. Then gear up to let them know how we feel about the next round. I'm keeping a close eye on this issue.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I too don't feel this changes anything. And since they are so busy pushing for us to spy on each other, maybe figure they can work that angle more effectively.

I can't believe people would be that dumb. Some maybe, as it seems there's a shortage of real brains out there... but it's unbelieveable the calls for people to spy on their neighbors. Unbelieveable.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I am worried that they put so many new measures into place while the PA has been in full force, we don't know what they are doing behind our backs.

Who has oversight over such a massive and secret bureaucracy?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yes the Patriot act was probably holding them back from more extreme measures they want to take, wonder if and when an attack happens how quickly a new bill will be passed...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

the irony with your comment is normally its a good thing not to listen to DC : ) ... GO TEAM CIA... j/k

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Sorry...yes, you're right, but I wasn't clear. This was a temporary extension and only in regards to three parts of the act. The battle in Congress isn't over. They'll call for another vote, and there are many other bills in the works.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is where we see the new house getting things right. If we all support these people maybe this whole goverment will get the idea we don't want to live in a Nazi State! The time of real change is coming out with the old thinkers and in with the new freedom policies of this newly elected house of real change.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Let's hope they were the right provisions...sounds like a good start. And let's hope the Senate does the same.

If I'm not mistaken but if it failed to pass The House means those provisions are effectively dead. All there is to do now is to fill up the calendar with nonsense and they will die on their own requiring no further action.

For a piece of legislation to advance from one chamber to another it needs to pass that chamber, no passage and a defeat in The House kills these provisions.
edit on 9-2-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

Not quite.
This legislation expires on Feb 28th. Republicans will introduce it under normal rules and pass it with 218 votes.
25 Republicans and 122 Democrats voted against it. The Executive branch can only ask. Congress has to pass the bill.The Senate then has to pass it and send it back to congress.Then it goes to the President.

The Republican Tea Party congress will be the first to pass this bill. You would think the newly elected representatives sent to congress to "clean house" would never let this happen. Instead what you have is a vote the Republican super majority completely controls in congress. If the Tea party reps and their Republican sponsors pass this bill, are the Tea parties going to hold them responsible?

If it passes and then the Democrat Senate passes the bill, are we all going to hold the Senators, and Congress Reps accountable?

Or are we just going to rationalize it as a TPTB issue?

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are TPTB.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

YAHOO!

'Bout time.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
YES!! YES!! YES! This is GREAT news! Finally a step forward, I guess there is hope after all.

Tea Party...woot woot!

Next we have to chop, chop Homeland security's budget and scope of operation that grew into unconstitutional extremes in the aftermath of Katrina. In keeping us "safe" from disasters, FEMA has committed all degrees of offense in expansion of it's role in "protecting" society from itself. FEMA's budget and role in society needs to be seriously diminished. It's turned into a hyperventalating drama queen.

TSA needs to get it's hands out of our pants. It has taken too much authority and personnel to violate our rights in the name of political correctness - namely that all people are domestic terrorists who must submit to molestion with illegal searches and seizures by agents of the government every time we fly (and soon go to malls, arenas, gov. buildings, etc. Without clear cause, no agent of the government should be harassing citizens like this. We need to cut TSA's funding and scope of intrusion into society. TSA using passive equipment or search dogs for detection of explosives and arms is one thing; TSA molesting and searching every citizen at Homeland Security's hyperventaling whim is another.

We also need to cut Homeland Security's budget that has them training and equiping local police officers to act as an occupying military force. They have been taught to violate everyone's constitutional rights in the name of "safety." Now we have "progressed" to have some police officers thinking they can shoot and kill at will - any pet or person - who they deem might be a threat to their safety. It is a form of "pre-crime" punishment; the way a military force behaves when surrounded by a hostile enemy population during occupation.

We need to secure the borders because we know terrorists are coming over the border and are rewarded with the ability to bring in weapons of mass destruction into the US. We know from wikileaks Islamic terrorists have access to biological weapons and nukes and we know they can easily bring these materials over the unguarded border. Guarding the border is one of the few constitutional duties of the government and they do everything unconstitutional under the sun while ignoring the constitutional duty of protecting the border! This would help to undo the elite's illusion that they live as "citizens of the world" and can violate any law or contstitutional mandate at the whim of their internationalist, corporatist (fascist) whim. Americans are paying a steep cost for the cheap labor of illegal immigration which serves corporate interests and the interests of radicals seeking to destabalize the US.

Lot's to do!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thanks to the Republicans and Democrats for finally teaming up on a serious matter such as the disgraceful Patriot Act.

Glad we have some sensible politicians.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
That is great news indeed. But it's just a start. I'm surprised at the ratio of the votes. We all need to make sure our elected representatives know what WE want...and if they're no good give'em the boot!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Defiantly not rejoicing yet...there is always a " calm " before the storm~

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Which is what worries me. Get everyone all jazzed up thinking they won, and then *ZING* get em in the back while they are jumping around congratulating each other.

If its too good to be true, it probably is.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This seems to be good news, but for a powerful planner, I'd think it would open gates for another false flag...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join