It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need input on music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Please dont move this thread. It fits here perfectly, since most of you here have better critical, analytical thinking here and all, and because the music forum is essentially inactive.

Thanks for understanding. Now, I want you guys to take a few minutes to listen to this one musical piece called "Someday the Dream Will End".

Give me your input on it. Tell me how you felt listening to it. Try turning off all the lights, and making sure that your eyes are open yet you see absolutely no light for best effects. You can also close your eyes, but you might not feel the effects of the song.

Now I understand analyzing a piece of music is highly subjective, but it is objectively subjective. Its like looking at a murder, and giving your own subjected opinion. It will be different slightly than someone else's, but it will be similar.

Please listen to it here www.youtube.com...

One Question to go along with your analysis, does this make you feel like you are in a dream, yet gives you hope that everything will be better?

Just a question that's all.

This is a philosophy/psychology thread but a special one, don't ignore it please.

Thanks for taking some of your time.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NaturalKnowledge

Give me your input on it.

First impression: Bad source samples. At first I thought they were low resolution, but after listening more closely I think that's not it...I think the dynamic range of some of the sounds have been truncated. For example, listen to the cymbal at around 0:16. It sounds bad. The sample was edited and lost some of its quality in the process.

Second impression: Very simple music

Third impression: This is boring. No harmony at all, just a simple beat, and every now and then they change the sample being used to make that beat. The composition style reminds me of a lot of .mod music made in the BBS era. Simplistic. Mostly just playing with samples.

Fourth impression: The melody is pretty simple too. A lot of just running up and down scales over and over.

Fifth impression: Yeah, that submarine ping is totally like .mod music. Except they're not even changing the pitch, it's just droning on over and over. I'm now 3 minutes in and the melody is just repeating over and over, and I'm ready to stop listening now. This is really dull.

Conclusion: generic, mass-produced background music made from sound samples.

does this make you feel like you are in a dream, yet gives
you hope that everything will be better?

No. It mostly just annoyed me. The quality is like somebody absent mindedly humming to themself in the shower deluding themselves into thinking they're producing fine art.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by NaturalKnowledge

Give me your input on it.

First impression: Bad source samples. At first I thought they were low resolution, but after listening more closely I think that's not it...I think the dynamic range of some of the sounds have been truncated. For example, listen to the cymbal at around 0:16. It sounds bad. The sample was edited and lost some of its quality in the process.

Second impression: Very simple music

Third impression: This is boring. No harmony at all, just a simple beat, and every now and then they change the sample being used to make that beat. The composition style reminds me of a lot of .mod music made in the BBS era. Simplistic. Mostly just playing with samples.

Fourth impression: The melody is pretty simple too. A lot of just running up and down scales over and over.

Fifth impression: Yeah, that submarine ping is totally like .mod music. Except they're not even changing the pitch, it's just droning on over and over. I'm now 3 minutes in and the melody is just repeating over and over, and I'm ready to stop listening now. This is really dull.

Conclusion: generic, mass-produced background music made from sound samples.

does this make you feel like you are in a dream, yet gives
you hope that everything will be better?

No. It mostly just annoyed me. The quality is like somebody absent mindedly humming to themself in the shower deluding themselves into thinking they're producing fine art.

Thank you for your input. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the quality was mostly reduced to due the up loader messing around with it, and Youtube lowering quality?

And you should really major in composition.

When you say BBS, do you mean Bulletin Board System? I'm lost

But I'm honest, you do know what you are talking about. I kinda wanted you to analyze it and tell me what you felt, I didn't want you to break it all down for me and especially tell me everything negative about it.

And it's not my piece so don't attack me.
edit on 6-2-2011 by NaturalKnowledge because: (no reason given)

Oh hey, try this. www.youtube.com...

Please just tell me what feelings and images you get into your head, dont break it down, anyone can do that. Open yourself up a bit, you'll get it.
edit on 6-2-2011 by NaturalKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
To you questions only,
No,
No it did not,
Not really.

Opinion,
You may have more emotion invested in it than I,
I did not get drawn in to the song.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
ah im guessing its your own edit, i'm a fan of Nobuo Uematsu, nice try but this doesnt do the man justice, keep trying.

edit: after seeing you say its not yours . i'll be a bit more honest. theres some really great ff music avaiable, this is not very good, the edit is quite poor, and sound quality is bad, im not sure what your thoughts are or why you made a thread on a ffX fan vid?

edit on 6-2-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

It's all good I guess if you guys couldn't get into it. I'm sure if you guys actually wanted to, you could, but you all didn't. Guess there was no time.

And yea, Nobuo Uematsu is God. I will be a full time composer within a few years, and he has inspired me so much. I feel like I can do just as good, and even better. I love this man truly.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I liked the music it had a dream like quality to it maybe even a bit hypnotic in some places..thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Music is the language of the soul, I forget who said that but it applies here. I have made it my number one rule in life not to bash someones life's work. So I refuse to that here, even though it is extremely hard for me to maintain that attitude. Hey, if a song or a soundtrack moves you good that is the point, and don't let anyone change your opinion on that. I have extremely varied tastes in music and in this person's opinion it was good for the time it was created, hasn't aged well but I can recognize why it would touch some people. As for what it reminded me of, I would say it reminded me of a rain soaked evening looking out the window panes wondering where my life has gone, and where I would be in years to come. Sometimes dream come and go and end and we have no control over them, but it is up to you to decide to let them go.

Thank you for sharing this.

PS found the quote ironically: music is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate. ~Arnold Bennett

for more cool quotes on music: www.quotegarden.com...
edit on 6-2-2011 by Golithion because: BAM quotified!

edit on 6-2-2011 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Watch also Djam Leeli...

top topics

join