It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Nearly 28,000 Pelicans from ND Still Nowhere to be Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The nearly 28,000 white pelicans that unexpectedly left Chase Lake Refuge, ND are still unaccaounted for and nowhere to be found. Normally the birds stay in the refuge until September, but for some reason all the adults decided to leave the area which they had used for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, leaving their eggs and chicks behind, and noone has an explanation as to why.

What Happened To The Pelicans?
The 4,385-acre refuge in central North Dakota had been known as the home of the largest nesting colony of white pelicans in North America. The nearly 28,000 birds that showed up to nest here in early April took off in late May and early June, leaving their chicks and eggs behind.

Wildlife officials have considered diseases, food supply, water quality, weather, predators and other factors, but have found no satisfactory explanation for the exodus, said Mick Erickson, the Chase Lake refuge manager.

"Right now, everybody has an opinion," Erickson said. "But honestly, there isn't any explanation. This is the first time it's happened."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pelicans have been monitored since 1905, the birds only numbered 50 then because they were killed for their feathers and for target practice. It was in 1908 that president Theodore Roosevelt designated the site a bird refuge, since then it has become the largest nesting colony of white pelicans in North America. The question still is, where did they go?

Related News
27,000 Pelicans Disappear in N.D.

ATS Related Links
27,000 pelicans have abandonned their eggs in North Dakota.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
That is really strange Muaddib especially since they left their eggs and chicks behind. Maybe the pelicans know something we don't know.

Out here in the desert we are having an accumalation of different species of birds. Lately I've been feeding and watering all the animals and birds. At around 3:30 p.m. everyday they all come around to eat. I'm surprised how well they all get along. We have quails, doves, finches, a brown-headed cow birds, yellow breasted ones...you name it. All these birds along with jack-rabbits, cottontail rabbits, and squirels all eat together and get along.
Sure one of the little squirels may sniff a rabbits bumb, but that's about it. No pecking or biting. If the pelicans show up I'll let you know okay?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Geez, that's so strange. 28,000 Pelicans are missing from their refuge and we are having an onslaught of pelicans in Phoenix..right in the middle of the desert..smashing into the asphalt because they think it's water. Maybe the pelicans think Phoenix is a safe place
In that case, I feel better.
Weird!!!!
joey

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
i am beginning to think perhaps this has something to do with the pole shift story that another member posted. Now I am not certain if this is the anwser, but no one has yet found why these pelicans have been acting this way.
Here is the link.
Pole Shift, Already Underway
I would advice that anyone post in here if there have been strange animal behaviour like what has been happening with the pelicans. This way we can monitor by first hand accounts if there are any links or more strange coincidences like this one happen.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm in SE Indiana and have a strnge bird situation. A bunch (hundreds) of birds (not sure what species) congregate in two of my trees late at night (usually between midnight to early morning). The sound keeps me up at night, even over the A/C. I've lived here for 12 years and just noticed it this summer.

Mabey they're eating all the dead cicadas.

Other than that, I have no explanation for it.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Fascinating Muaddib.
I read this thread earlier with interest, but magnetic field of the Earth as a possible reason is an excellent inclusion.

Although the pole shift is a natural occurance, what about research centres such as HAARP? Could they have any effect on the Earth's magnetic field?

[edit on 14-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
hey, here are the missing pelicans...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
hey, here are the missing pelicans...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, I covered that one too, and they found 20 pelicans dead, not the 27,000-28,000.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I would say this 'smacks' of 'survival instincts', most birds are intune with the planets magnetic field and use it as a navigational referance.
Perhaps they sense something funky like say a 'Yellowstone' occurance in the future? I've heard some animals act crazy before earthquake activitey could this be in the vein?
I would believe for thousands of birds to break instinctional parental behavoiur a stronger instinctional behavoiur needs to over-ride the 1st one.....such as survivial

top topics

join