It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks cables: US agrees to tell Russia Britain's nuclear secrets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

WikiLeaks cables: US agrees to tell Russia Britain's nuclear secrets

www.telegrap h.co.uk

The US secretly agreed to give the Russians sensitive information on Britain’s nuclear deterrent to persuade them to sign a key treaty, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.
Information about every Trident missile the US supplies to Britain will be given to Russia as part of an arms control deal signed by President Barack Obama next week.
Defence analysts claim the agreement risks undermining Britain’s policy of refusing to confirm the exact size of its nuclear arsenal.
The fact that the Ameri
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I did a search and didn't come up with anything on this. It surprised since this is really big news, IMO.

What kind of government do we have in place at the present? Selling out our closest allies? I'm as red-blooded as an American can get but this makes my blood boil.

I will not blame the UK if they broke every tie they have with us. What in the world is Obama thinking? I didn't like him from the get go and now I can say that I hate this person.

You just don't give secrets of this sensitive nature of our allies to our 'enemies.' Russia is NOT our friend and now the UK won't be.

I'm very pissed now. Obama is now proving that he is not just an enemy pof the United States. He's an enemy to the entire free world.

www.telegrap h.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4/2/11 by Intelearthling because: Added more to post.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

You missed it, its here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The Russians have been tracking our nuclear subs successfully, flying nuclear bombers up to our airspace, conducting cold war levels of espionage operations, building huge no's of nuclear bunkers.

They are clearly preparing for a nuclear war - whilst Obama is disarming the US defences as fast as he can!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
wow nice obama licking the ass of chinese and
now the russians ahahaha poor USA

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Thanks backinblack. I typed in 'UK', 'Russia', and 'nuclear secrets' and came up with nothing in relation. I'll do a more thorough search in the future.

With that said, I'm really quite disturbed upon reading this news.

I mean that I can't put into words at how pissed I am at MY own government now.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Don't feel to bad..
We all know it's not the people's idea and also, other countries probably do the same..

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If the US were to drop an A-Bomb on the Uk, nothing would come out of it. A little whispering of secrets aint going to do anything.

The only nations who have the balls to do something are the US and Israel. Everybody else in the world has gone soft (military and government wise).
edit on 4-2-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
If the US were to drop an A-Bomb on the Uk, nothing would come out of it. A little whispering of secrets aint going to do anything.

The only nations who have the balls to do something are the US and Israel. Everybody else in the world has gone soft (military and government wise).

No offence but without US backing Israel would be sadly lacking in the groin area..

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
True.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but I fail to see anything strange here.

Obama bends over backwards to appease the Russians over a system that was NEVER a threat to them; places domestic suppression over than investigation of intimidation, and trades"secrets" to gain a favored spot at the picnic.

We get what we deserve.

We've abandoned our best interests in favor of courting Russian flirts.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
I'm sorry, but I fail to see anything strange here.

I meant to post awhile ago but was having some difficulty with my connection.

I don't think you're getting the story. I don't see anything 'strange' neither. I just see the Obama administration selling out one of our closest allies in order to get the Russians to sign a treaty that'll throw the balance in their favor.

I don't want to ridicule your assessment of the situation here. You're telling me to deny ignorance when the bigger picture is being totally ignored by you.

The fact that the Americans used British nuclear secrets as a bargaining chip also sheds new light on the so-called “special relationship”, which is shown often to be a one-sided affair by US diplomatic communications obtained by the WikiLeaks website.

What happened is that the American government toally jeopardized the UK national security by disclosing their nuclear secrets. That's like Canada telling China the locations of our submarines are if they knew. Obama is in Washington believing that Russia is politically stable. Nothing can be further from the truth. Russia may not don the name USSR anymore but their mindset is still the same. They're still our enemy.

ries of classified messages sent to Washington by US negotiators show how information on Britain’s nuclear capability was crucial to securing Russia’s support for the “New START” deal.

Answer me this. Why were the nuclear secrets of the UK, a nation not even involved, so crucial for a treaty that was only meant for the US and the Russians. If anything, this borderlines treason and treason is grounds for impeachment. This is something and it's not strange.

Washington lobbied London in 2009 for permission to supply Moscow with detailed data about the performance of UK missiles. The UK refused, but the US agreed to hand over the serial numbers of Trident missiles it transfers to Britain.

In a treaty that has nothing to do with the UK, Washington was lobbying London to disclose their secrets. When the UK refused, and well within their rights to do so, Washington said "Eff-U' and disclosed their secrets despite Londons wishes.

You really need to look at the implications the Obama administration is causing to the security of the United States. With this wikileak information, our security just eroded that much more. I wouldn't be surprised if the UK broke all ties with us. You know? We aren't doing anything but screwing ourselves.

I really sad for you if you don't understand the unique relationship the US and the UK once had.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

So they gave them serial numbers of the missiles, as opposed to any actual "nuclear" secrets about the warheads (designed and made in the UK..not far from my home as it happens) or the submarines that carry them.

Don't really see the problem. What use are serial numbers? Are the Russians going to tick them off the list as they come flying down on Moscow?

And before anyone chimes in about the old "UK needing US permission to launch" bollocks, well, it's bollocks. We don't. The Yanks would like to be told first, but they have no way of actually stopping a UK launch if we were in that position.

EDIT: But your right, Obama has damaged the UK-US relationship as he can't get over the whole Kenya thing. He hates us, it seems and we're not overly fond of him either. I actually preferred Bush! He may have been a total Christian, neo-con whackjob and as bright as a skidmark, but he could be quite amusing.
edit on 5/2/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You are correct in that there isn't really any security damage.

The UK never publicly disclosed exactly how many missiles it has. By giving all the serial numbers it makes it obvious exactly how many we have.

The point is largely moot though as only one Vanguard class is ever at sea at any one time. So the deterrent potential is limited by the missile capacity of the sub x missile warhead capacity rather the amount of tridents.

Its embarrassing though.

Sad to say scrapping Nimrod has probably damaged our deterrent more.

edit on 5-2-2011 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Let's ally with Russia and China, Barak won't be so keen to piss the British lion off again!!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
while everyone else is building new bunkers and overhauling old ones the UK has sold ALL of theirs.

only two left.

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
So they gave them serial numbers of the missiles, as opposed to any actual "nuclear" secrets about the warheads (designed and made in the UK..not far from my home as it happens) or the submarines that carry them.

Don't really see the problem. What use are serial numbers? Are the Russians going to tick them off the list as they come flying down on Moscow?

stumason. They real big deal about all this is this is only what the public knows. Serial numbers aren't a big deal but they are a verification of the missiles. Then again, Obama could've given them false serials but I seriously doubt it.

This is just what's on the surface. The question is what's below the surface. If Obama is capable of betraying the UK on their wishes not to disclose this information, what more is he capable of?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think Obama should be arrested by MI5 for spying/conspiracy or something of that nature, I'm sure there's some law against what he's done, the man is a wretch and a hypocrite. Moaning about Wikileaks giving secrets away yet at the same time completely betraying my nation by doing the same thing? America really does deserve better than him.

I love Wikileaks, I love how it's making things more transparent, I think in the long run politicians will start to fear dishonesty a lot more due to possible exposure.

top topics

join