It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales Appearing in New York Harbor in Greater Numbers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Having lived in NY much of my life this is NOT normal. This is not their 'home turf'. If ONE whale was spotted off the coast of Long Island, it caused quite a commotion. So having 50 whales cruising the harbor off New York city, to me, is indicative of something much greater.

Just minutes outside of the New York Harbor, whales, dolphins and seals have been arriving in increasing numbers.

Prof. Christopher Clark, neurobiology and behavior and zoology, has monitored the animals since 1972 by placing acoustic recorders on Long Island and the mouth of New York Harbor and analyzing the data collected from them.

Although their presence has surprised many people, whales and other aquatic mammals have inhabited the area for many years, Clark said. He explained that scientists had not studied them consistently until recently.

"The whales are quite mobile and might go out from the continental shelf into the Gulf Stream, but there are enough of them moving around that there are always whales in New York," Clark said. "This is part of their home turf."

www.sott.net...
edit on Fri Feb 4 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Bump i want to see were this thread go's

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That is very odd , maybe this has something to do with the pole shift everyone is talking about , or maybe it has something to do with the BP oil spill. This is troubling times we live in .

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Maybe they're waiting for Scotty to beam them up?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't see how the article can be considered irrelevant so easily? I mean it says in there that they have been there regularly. Isn't that kind of like saying that just because I haven't run across a mountain lion or bear that it means that the area around my town isn't there natural habitat? There is always a commotion when one of the 2 animals make there way into neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean they aren't here naturally.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
www.nydailynews.com...

Thanks buddy

Tom Paladino, captain of two ferry boats from the Rockaways, says pods of aquatic mammals off the city's coast have "increased tenfold." "We used to see 10 whales a year - now we see 100," he said. "We saw dolphins almost on a daily basis between June and September.
www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Ok maybe I am missing something here, but how does having 50 + whales show up around New York Harbor that may or may not have been there before equate to "This is troubling times we live in" Troubleng times is when food is running low and natuarl drinking water becomes harder and harder to find. Troubling times is when the a earthquake like the quake of 1812 hit the New Madrid Fault Line. Troubling times is when a solar flare knocks out all electronics in the Eastern United States. How is having Whales swimming in a harbor troubling? I mean at one point in time before there were cities and harbors Whales pretty much went whereever they wanted. I wonder if when people started showing up in New York if the Whlaes were thinking we live in troubling times. So maybe your right and the whales see something we don't and know that soon New York will be part of the ocean and they are scouting out there new turf after a Pole Shift has split continents in half and of course after 2012.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
I don't see how the article can be considered irrelevant so easily? I mean it says in there that they have been there regularly. Isn't that kind of like saying that just because I haven't run across a mountain lion or bear that it means that the area around my town isn't there natural habitat? There is always a commotion when one of the 2 animals make there way into neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean they aren't here naturally.

Media just maintaining calm for the dumb'd-down

Pretty soon they'll have people feeding the dolphins and offering whale-watch excursions.....where people will think everything is perfectly normal and copacetic!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Media just maintaining calm for the dumb'd-down

Pretty soon they'll have people feeding the dolphins and offering whale-watch excursions.....where people will think everything is perfectly normal and copacetic!

Wouldn't be suprised if big corporation has already set up the game plan.

edit on 4-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

reply to post by bdb818888

Ok maybe I am missing something here, but how does having 50 + whales show up around New York Harbor that may or may not have been there before equate to "This is troubling times we live in" Troubleng times is when food is running low and natuarl drinking water becomes harder and harder to find. Troubling times is when the a earthquake like the quake of 1812 hit the New Madrid Fault Line. Troubling times is when a solar flare knocks out all electronics in the Eastern United States. How is having Whales swimming in a harbor troubling? I mean at one point in time before there were cities and harbors Whales pretty much went whereever they wanted. I wonder if when people started showing up in New York if the Whlaes were thinking we live in troubling times. So maybe your right and the whales see something we don't and know that soon New York will be part of the ocean and they are scouting out there new turf after a Pole Shift has split continents in half and of course after 2012.

Because this may be due to magnetic fields being wacky. This may also be due to glacial melt-downs forcing them further south. This may have something to due with pure survival.

Although alligators are indigenous to Florida..... if 50 of them start showing up on I-95 ....I think most would think something is terribly wrong with their usual habitat.
Call me a kook for thinking that!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
At first I thought hey if it`s so normal should they have charters for watching Whales. So I used Google and they do. Here is one link.
traveltips.usatoday.com...

So I wouldn`t be so alarmed at this just yet although I`ve never known that till now.

This is off that site it says best time below so this seems abnormal to me then.

Whales frequent New York's waters from July through September, when they feast on schools of herring, sand eels and marine crustaceans like krill. CRESLI offers local whale-watching trips three times a week in July and August, and one weekend trip to New England's Great South Channel in late August.

edit on 2/4/2011 by Connman because: updated the best time

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

That's the ocean.
This is the harbor. A bit of a difference.

And they're not just passing through. It sounds like they are hunkering down in the harbor.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Something bad is definitely is going on ,all the fish, seals and birds dying off in the thousands , sharks swarming off the coast of Florida in the thousands , people are going crazy in Egypt , country's are collapsing all over the world, yes we are living it troubling times.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I`ve also went back and it says best time is July through September. So this should be considered abnormal I`d think.
Just hope they don`t go beaching themselves.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

And they're not just passing through. It sounds like they are hunkering down in the harbor.

Whales don't hunker down for long..
Does sound a little strange though maybe due to the gulf spill or changing water temps..

Wasn't there also a few threads a while back on seals dissapearing?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Whales don't hunker down for long..
Does sound a little strange though maybe due to the gulf spill or changing water temps..

Wasn't there also a few threads a while back on seals dissapearing?

Ooooooh, I didn't even think of the GOM.
Apparently they've been showing up more and more according those articles.

Why would any type of wild-life prefer urban settings? Hell, I don't even like urban settings! It makes no sense to choose to be around boats, populates and shallower waters.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bdb818888
reply to post by Phantom28804

Something bad is definitely is going on ,all the fish, seals and birds dying off in the thousands , sharks swarming off the coast of Florida in the thousands , people are going crazy in Egypt , country's are collapsing all over the world, yes we are living it troubling times.

But we still have 32 flavors, iPods and the choice of plastic or paper so I think.........everything is just dandy!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman

I`ve also went back and it says best time is July through September. So this should be considered abnormal I`d think.
Just hope they don`t go beaching themselves.

Can you imagine them beaching themselves at Battery Park (site of the WTCs)?
They'll blame that on 19 terrorists too I bet!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join