It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales Appearing in New York Harbor in Greater Numbers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Why would any type of wild-life prefer urban settings? Hell, I don't even like urban settings! It makes no sense to choose to be around boats, populates and shallower waters.

Have they recently cleaned up the harbour?
I know we saw increases in wildlife once water was cleaner and had fishing bans...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Whales are mammals not fish so they rely on krill and food sources for fresh water. Lots of snow melt and other fresh water runoff in New York Harbor probably lots of krill. The Sea surface temperatures plunge just north of 40 degrees latitude so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Marine mammals and sharks usually congregate where the food is unless they are mating or migrating.

Could be something unusual in the harbor that is making the bait fish school there too.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Marine mammals and sharks usually congregate where the food is unless they are mating or migrating.

Could be something unusual in the harbor that is making the bait fish school there too.

Or like BIB kinda put out there, maybe because of the GOM disaster the bait fish have sought safer 'inland' areas.
Who knows but I do know, whales and Manhattan are not a common duo!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

There was a post earlier today about porbeagle sharks showing up where they normally don't.

Over the past two years, Gary Monks, a King's Cove fisherman, has been noticing something in the water he's never seen in his 40 years of fishing - the porbeagle shark.

Porbeagle sharks Making a Comeback?

Who can truly say what is causing this? For myself, I don't doubt it is because of earth's changes in magnetic fields.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Yeah. I lived in NYC most of my life, and we don't get whales here. Something's very wrong.

It must be because of the oil spill. Either that, or maybe there is really a pole shift happening and the whales sense of direction is thrown off because of the changing polarity of the planet?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I know we saw increases in wildlife once water was cleaner and had fishing bans...

Clean up the harbor? Hahahahaha!!!! Hilarious!

Never in a million years.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Never in a million years.

Well it was a reasonable question..

Or have they dredged the harbour entrance lately??

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
In and of itself it's just an odd blip. But it seems like the "normal" patterns of so much of the animal kingdom right now are giving way -- to the point where the patterns themselves are made up of odd blips. Bees dying off, birds falling to earth, sea life dying in large groups. Maybe these are the type of thing that happen constantly -- but the reporting is being tailored to make it feel like related symptoms that are being driven by a much larger problem.

The centre cannot hold.

Very disquieting, imo.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

That would have been big news here. I doubt it.

We barely have money to keep the state running. Schools are being closed left and right. And the harbor is constantly busy.

And I bet you that most New Yorkers have no idea that there are whales out there now. I don't think New Yorkers think about the harbor at all. All we know is that it's not something you want to fall in to.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
One or two might be normal....50 is not. More signs from nature to worry about.

Sigh....
edit on 2/4/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The same thing has been happening here in the Derwent River in recent years IE more & more frequent visits by whales and seals. 100 years & more ago there was a thriving whaling industry on the river so it's not an odd thing to see them out there except in more recent times. The key to it is that the industries upstream (a paper mill and a zinc refinery being the worst of them) and sewage treatment plants have been made to clean up their acts allowing the river's health to recover to the point where aquatic mammals will come upstream again in search of fish and shelter from the southern ocean.

We only shoot at them with cameras these days which also means there's more of them after some like the southern right whale were hunted to the brink of extinction. Seal numbers are recovering too after their colonies were once decimated and some even venture ashore here now like they used to ages ago.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
SnF

For the nay Sayers,

Whales return to New York City: Massive mammals appearing again in seas near city; draws sightseers

www.nydailynews.com...
Experts say anti-hunting laws and cleaner waters may have brought back whales and their cousins after being largely absent for a century. The numbers are "far, far more than expected, even for me," Clark said. "I've been surprised elsewhere in the world, but off New York - yikes!"
outwalkingthedog.wordpress.com...
Six different species of whale have been identified in New York waters: Humpback, Minke, Fin, Sei, Blue and the endangered North Atlantic Right whale, of which fewer than 400 still exist.

www.oldsaltblog.com...
For many years, whales were never seen close to New York City. In the last few years, that has changed. We have seen humpbacks in the harbor (see here and here.) We have also had dead humpbacks wash up on local beaches. Large numbers of humpbacks and fin whales returned last year to Montauk on the other end of the Log Island. Harbor seals are even showing up in the inner harbor.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Wow after reading this thread I wouldn't be surprised to see an alligator in Indiana.

Are animals relocating in desperate need of the right environment for their needs? Death and relocation are on a massive scale as far I can tell -- magnetic pole shift.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Wow after reading this thread I wouldn't be surprised to see an alligator in Indiana.

Are animals relocating in desperate need of the right environment for their needs? Death and relocation are on a massive scale as far I can tell -- magnetic pole shift.

Or something much less sinister?

Experts say anti-hunting laws and cleaner waters may have brought back whales and their cousins after being largely absent for a century.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I like that concept much better, that would be a great thing if true.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

reply to post by windwaker

Never in a million years. [/quote

Well it was a reasonable question..

Or have they dredged the harbour entrance lately??

BIB is not from USA so it was a fair question.
I think there are way too many dead bodies in that harbor to ever have a clean harbor. I kid you not. That is/was a huge Mafia and gang (and possibly government too) dumping ground.

Apparently they dredged it back in 2006
edit on 4-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I think there are way too many dead bodies in that harbor to ever have a clean harbor.

lol, thanks HA...
The bodies aint the problem though..
They are fish food.....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
An earthquake is imminent!!! That is what that means! A huge QuAKE will rock this earth nearing stop of rotation of Mother Earth!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by light2012
An earthquake is imminent!!! That is what that means! A huge QuAKE will rock this earth nearing stop of rotation of Mother Earth!

You kind of rocked this thread with that. I know your new, and probably don't know many of the rules. But try to stay on topic, this is about the whales.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join