It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Chinese moms raise the best kids?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I agree the education system in the US has gone in the crapper both in discipline and quality. I think though that in fixing the discipline the quality will automatically improve. But parents are quick to blame the system instead of the fact that they suck as parents and will sue to defend their suckage

When I was in school, the teachers didn't hit, but we would have to go out to stables for a week and shovel horse crap for being disrespectful or get up and march at 5 am for two hours, that was enough of a punishment for us.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

See though, I wonder about that. From what I understand the Chinese take standardized tests that place you into a career path. I don't know that that is a bad thing. A career based on your intelligence and the best people for the job. I knew tons of people in college that had zero idea what they wanted to do, changed their major, wasted 2 or 3 years, all in an effort to "find themselves" or what they want to do. Most don't even work in their trained field, it seems like a waste. Train for the job you are going to do.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

You honestly think it's better for people to have their path chosen for them by the government based merely upon intelligence rather than allow them the free-will to choose for themselves? Perhaps the instances you mention could be curbed if people did two things: 1. didn't go to school until they were sure of what they wanted to do and 2. didn't go to a 4-year school if they're cut out to be a mechanic or hair dresser.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar

You honestly think it's better for people to have their path chosen for them by the government based merely upon intelligence rather than allow them the free-will to choose for themselves? Perhaps the instances you mention could be curbed if people did two things: 1. didn't go to school until they were sure of what they wanted to do and 2. didn't go to a 4-year school if they're cut out to be a mechanic or hair dresser.

Well I don't know, I don't necessarily think it's better, but it's definitely more efficient, also I'm not sure the level of corruption (putting your sisters kids into a better path than they deserve and such).

I can absolutely agree with the second part. Or have a standard for a major, for example if you did not do well either in say science and math classes and/or didn't score well on the SAT or ACT or entrance exam then you should not be eligible to pretend your going to be a chemist or a doctor. Just stream line it, sort of. I don't know if I buy into the whole "I don't test well" argument I think if you know the material testing shouldn't be a problem. However, if there is some truth to that then one must perform very well in class.

Also, I know quite a few parents whose children did not want to attend a 4 year school, they wanted to get into a trade but the parents were dead set against it and essentially forcing the kid into school because it is better. Most times the kids either failed out or dropped out anyway. But I do think parents need to be honest with themselves. Whether your kid should be a garbage man or a surgeon is just a matter of pride, both positions are necessary in society.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Here are some video's of Chinese schools. This is a Strict Teacher.

This is a Very Poor School,

As you all can see the teachers do not have whips or chains and their not beating any kids.

They talk and joke about their future.

It's China and their our Children Our Future and The Chinese Parents of Today, Have Their Hopes and Dreams For Their Children and That is, they don't have to suffer like we did.

edit on 5-2-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Great videos. No....I didn't see any whips or chains either. I see nothing wrong with competition, it will only get harder as life goes on and a good work ethic is something that must be taught (which is horribly lacking in the States today). Where I went to school, we had an abundance of academic competition and if the teacher called on you, you were not allowed to say "I don't know". We had to give an answer, even if it was wrong. I think because of this we studied harder because no one wanted to be the fool, the teacher didn't ridicule you so much......but your classmates sure did, lol.

I LOVE that foreign language is taught from an early age, I just can't say that enough

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Clearly, everyone in China is dominating every field, study and industry on this planet. The best at everything.

Oh wait. They aren't.

What I like best about this concept is that these immigrant ideas came from China.

The original and ongoing Chinese immigrants to North America haven't been their "elite" until recently. They were their poorest - the least of them. Those immigrants whom this woman claims as her own, aren't.

Just another woman making a name for herself by kicking other women.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Slave training. That is what it is.
What do you get for all of that hard work? Not that I am against hard work, in fact, anybody that knows me will tell you that I outwork just about anybody else.
But this "competition for excellence", where one is indoctrinated into this belief system that life is study, study, study...excel, beat the others, outperform, out test the others...
Bull#.
Life is to be lived, enjoyed. Our time here has to mean more than that, more than earning the biggest cookie.
India has engineers making the pay of garbage men. China has workers slaving away to make the "system" rich and proud while putting others in far away lands out of work.
For what?
Plant a damn garden. Educate yourself at your own pace, and let the rats chase each other for the blue ribbon.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie

Slave training. That is what it is.
What do you get for all of that hard work? Not that I am against hard work, in fact, anybody that knows me will tell you that I outwork just about anybody else.
But this "competition for excellence", where one is indoctrinated into this belief system that life is study, study, study...excel, beat the others, outperform, out test the others...
Bull#.
Life is to be lived, enjoyed. Our time here has to mean more than that, more than earning the biggest cookie.
India has engineers making the pay of garbage men. China has workers slaving away to make the "system" rich and proud while putting others in far away lands out of work.
For what?
Plant a damn garden. Educate yourself at your own pace, and let the rats chase each other for the blue ribbon.

I'm Sorry, I don't want to embarrass you, But why do you outwork just about everybody else? Why are you working so hard if you're not trying to outperform or show you're better than the others?
It sounds like you are proud of the fact you're a hard worker,,,....
You're self employed?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

You cannot embarrass me.
I work hard because I choose to. I like work. I like to read. I like to write. I like to play the guitar. I love doing art...pastel, acrylic or digital. I have my own business, and last year I didn't make any money at all, but other years I have made plenty.
Luckily, I had savings, and a garden.
I am self taught. I have a lot of scars for my mistakes, but I can do more than anybody I know. In fact, I know of no one that can match what I do. That is not internet bravado, I am being honest.
I can frame, wire, and plumb a house. I can fix your lawnmower, chainsaw, install a septic tank, roof your house, fix your foundation.
I see the limitations people put upon themselves almost daily, but I recognize that is their choice. I often try to expand their horizons. Sometimes a teacher comes along and makes life a little richer for me.
I really don't fear interaction with anyone, on any level. I know that there are those that know more than me but I disarm them with my curiosity. They learn that I am not competing with them. Teach or learn, or do neither.
Whatever gave you the idea that you could embarrass me? That is funny.
(You would probably like me if you knew me btw)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Funny article on Cracked.com hits all the same things we have been saying in this thread. Kind of a funny read - I like Cracked.

5 Reasons Parenting Is One Place We Shouldn't Imitate China

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I went to get some chinese food the other day and the chinese "mother" was smacking her sons hand with a ruler VERY hard and he was crying his eyes out. I felt like calling child services because she was acting crazy. it was over buying a piece of candy or soemthing.. I'll stick to my American mother thanks..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join