It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange tells internet generation 'their time has come' to hit back at abuse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Assange tells internet generation 'their time has come' to hit back at abuse

www.andhranews.net

"The state has asserted its authority by surveilling, monitoring and regimenting all of us, all the while hiding behind cloaks of security and opaqueness. Surely it was only a matter of time before citizens pushed back and we asserted our rights,"

"For the internet generation this is our challenge and this is our time. We support a cause that is no more radical a proposition than that the citizenry has a right to scrutinise the state,"

He further compared WikiLeaks' push for more transpar
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Seems like just as how Egypt used the internet to form a form of protest he is asking us to do the same.

Basically I think what he means is that in order for the planet to progress we cannot have bit and pieces(some countries) protest, we need the whole to protest, as in everyone on the planet!

He makes a good point, because as Egypt protests for change, how much change will they get if the U.S. again props up the wrong type of leader once again?

Americans need to protest for change and lobby for the abolition of foreign aid, meaning the money that stays in the pockets of dictators to maintain string pulling.

And this doesn't only apply to a global scale, it can only to regional bits too.
For example check this out:

It could even apply to local cases of police brutality, not just global or national oppression/corruption.

Thoughts ATS?

Is it possible?

www.andhranews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-2-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Please tell me this is a joke! Assnage tells people to "hit back at abuse" while HE HIMSELF is engaged in blackmail????

EPIC irony.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wish I had the time to watch the vid!

Anyway, here is a peaceful "revolution:" Join the Ethical Planetarian Party. All that is asked is that you claim membership, and send the platform to others for consideration. If awareness reaches a tipping point, itr will happen:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for bringing up others seeking solutions.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Please tell me this is a joke! Assnage tells people to "hit back at abuse" while HE HIMSELF is engaged in blackmail????

EPIC irony.

Blackmail? Are you talking about all the information he's threatening to release? Because that information is all that stands between him and death. If he releases all his information immediately, he's as good as dead. That's not blackmail, that's protecting his life.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

No, it's blackmail. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig to a fuzzy kitten.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

No, it's blackmail. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig to a fuzzy kitten.

It's blackmail to want transparency from the governments? That's news to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Seems like just as how Egypt used the internet to form a form of protest he is asking us to do the same.

Thanks for posting the link. It is remarkable to see that Assange is not consumed with his personal problems but is rather focused on encouraging all of us to examine the issues and make a decision to action.

As far as using the internet as a form of protest, what I have found most useful is using the internet to study the aspect of the contracts that bind us into this system. There are many legal tricks that they have used on us and deceptive language as well. Their hold on us is all done by our own consent through contracts that grant us "privileges". To release the bonds you must find a way to untangle each strand of their web that holds your very life as bailment or pledge for their schemes. This is the only way that non-compliance can work.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03

It's blackmail to want transparency from the governments? That's news to me.

Straw man argument and moot point. I want transparency from the government. I don't condone espionage, trafficking in stolen information or blackmail to achieve it though.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03

EPIC irony.

Blackmail? Are you talking about all the information he's threatening to release? Because that information is all that stands between him and death. If he releases all his information immediately, he's as good as dead. That's not blackmail, that's protecting his life.

It apparent that he knew very well the risks and he allowed himself to be placed into that position. Perhaps one should begin to question his true motives.

Similar to me knowing that leaking particular information to public view will result in:

Major sh1t storm across the net.
Will be accused of breaking NDA.

You really do not need to be a genius to figure it all out.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Strange...

I was saying pretty much the same thing on the Euro show on wednesday.

Governments have truly underestimated technology and it's uses for the dissemination of information.

We live in the information age, and revolution of different types is going to be a natural consequence of this, UNLESS governments start actually listening to the people and what they want, instead of protecting their own interests and engaging in corporate croneyism.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head, then we will see if these so called free democracies, will or will not crack down on the uprise in people doing something to stop the abuse which is happening on the Internet.

If they do, do something to stop anyone from protesting. Then they have proven yet again that there is no democracy or freedom. If they arrest people as they have done so, in the UK over the Master Card Attacks Organised by Anonymous it shows, that in the UK alone, what freedom is, freedom is a joke nowadays.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yep. The Internet Wars have begun. From here on, it's going to become more and more of a challenge (as if it wasn't already) to tell the info from the disinfo, the lies from the truth. And maybe even to stay connected and trust that we're actually seeing everything that's out there. China and Google really were a sign of things to come. Companies again wanting to limit bandwidth and track all your activities (as if they and the government don't already). Be aware and be cautious. Don't leap to conclusions and get freaked out by trivial things. And support the efforts of those who are working to keep the internet free, open, and honest, no matter how they're vilified. Interesting times.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I don't condone espionage, trafficking in stolen information or blackmail to achieve it though.

WOW!!...You've just described the CIA and the NSA ... If they can do it and call it legal, then so can anyone else.

edit on 4/2/2011 by Dagar because: Edited for formatting

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Straw man argument and moot point. I want transparency from the government. I don't condone espionage, trafficking in stolen information or blackmail to achieve it though.

That's not at all strawman

So deepthroat during Nixon was a traitor?

And in this case deepthroat is an australian, not even an american.

It seems you are the one putting lipstick on a pig

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

It seems you are the one putting lipstick on a pig

And calling it a supermodel...

TPTB have seriously underestimated the power of the web and modern communication devices - and it's all coming back to bite them on the arse.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

TPTB have seriously underestimated the power of the web and modern communication devices -

As a gesture to ats and members and my interaction, i suggest you re think that !.

Food for thought...!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

EPIC irony.

Any source for this? Even a single one please?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Originally posted by budski

TPTB have seriously underestimated the power of the web and modern communication devices -

As a gesture to ats and members and my interaction, i suggest you re think that !.

Food for thought...!

I see no reason to.

If TPTB want to do something about the ramblings of a nobody, on an internet forum which is admitedly the best around, then they have seriously underestimated threat levels from the places they said threats were coming from.

OR

If they are placing so much attention on the ramblings of one poster on an internet forum, then maybe the threats they keep telling us about don't exist?

Or perhaps we are responsible for the "severe" alert level indicating a possibility of attack.

Whatever - your post makes little sense to me - and I am not so ego driven that I believe that "they" would single me or us out for special treatment when there are so many people who are posting much worse stuff.

Bottom line is they CAN'T turn off the internet without bringing about the revolution they fear.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

EPIC irony.

Blackmail...really??? Where's he charged for blackmailing?

<<   2  3 >>

join