It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange tells internet generation 'their time has come' to hit back at abuse

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by warbird03

reply to post by warbird03

No, it's blackmail. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig to a fuzzy kitten.

It's blackmail to want transparency from the governments? That's news to me.

Straw man argument and moot point. I want transparency from the government. I don't condone espionage, trafficking in stolen information or blackmail to achieve it though.

Then you wont achieve it, just as the founders of America wouldn't have wrestled themselves from the crown had they not fought for it. Are you suggesting espionage is OK for countries to do to each other, but not for its citizens to correct the government by those means?
edit on 7-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

He knowingly placed himself in a position that obviously would bring him up against major intel agencies, so you still assume that he is that ignorant.

I suggest a re think of your and his intentions or you assume i am intelligent as an oxygen molecule.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

He has not profited from Wikileaks? I do not agree.
Yes, it is true that he has profitted from wikileaks, but he never forced anyone to give him money... they(sponsors, news outlets, even possibly other countries) offer it to him. That in no way is blackmail.

Are you serious? He is trying to force the United States hand in preventing them from prosecuting him. He is basically holding a knife to the US's throat and demanding they sit back idle and do nothing to stop or impede him.
No he is not doing that at all. He is saying in the event that he is killed or shut up, the people can trust that the news will still come out. His message is not intended for gov'ts, it's intended for the public. Even more it's not like he is forcing the mirror sites to release it, he asked them to do it, in an event where he(the holder of the truths) comes up missing. Again in no way at all blackmail.

And by the way, what charges can the US bring upon him. It's called spying, and we the US do it all the time. We can't charge him simply because he is better at it then we are.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

He knowingly placed himself in a position that obviously would bring him up against major intel agencies, so you still assume that he is that ignorant.

I suggest a re think of your and his intentions or you assume i am intelligent as an oxygen molecule.

You seem to like suggesting that people rethink things.

Yes, he knowingly put himself in a position where the US government would most likely come after him. That doesn't mean they were forced to come after him.

Bottom line is that they US government is trying to punish him because information that should be available to the public anyways. It's the people that give them money and power, it's the people who should know what is done with that money and power.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

You seem to like suggesting that people rethink things.

Yes, he knowingly put himself in a position where the US government would most likely come after him. That doesn't mean they were forced to come after him.

Bottom line is that they US government is trying to punish him because information that should be available to the public anyways. It's the people that give them money and power, it's the people who should know what is done with that money and power.

I have not suggested anything, everything is open to interpretation. But what if and i mean what if, i was to openly publish documents that would place your nation in a direct conflict of interest. So lest move on, what if i was to publish documents that would place you, you as an individual that would cause a direct conflict of interest to your personal life. Would that make me, a freedom of speech advocate, or would that place me as an a$$hole since i am openly attacking your personal holdings ?. So who is, judge , jury and executioner upon anyone, since freedom for the public seems to the motto here....No ?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Honestly, if there was anything like that about me to be made public, it could only make me a better person by keeping me more honest. Secrets cause nothing but problems. It's a shame the US government doesn't share that point of view.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Honestly, if there was anything like that about me to be made public, it could only make me a better person by keeping me more honest. Secrets cause nothing but problems. It's a shame the US government doesn't share that point of view.

Curious as to why you only assume the U.S. is withholding, is it because you have been fed what you should be fed.

On a side note, what the U.S. is and will be doing is nothing different to what countless other empires have done, the only difference is, they are allowing an opportunity, is that difficult to understand or is it perhaps that due to information exchange it is becoming far more volatile for one to interact and only through sincere interaction that one is able to achieve a cumulative goal.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I don't assume that only the US is withholding, nor did I say that anywhere. The whole wikileaks deal has been mostly about the US though. I know other countries do the same thing, but we've gotta start somewhere don't we?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No, it's blackmail. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig to a fuzzy kitten.

So I assume that you also realize it's blackmail for the US government to threaten an Australian citizen operating out of Switzerland with prosecutions of rape, treason, and terrorism if he doesn't shut down the site and hand over any leaked information he might have?

I suppose you also realize that it is blackmail for the US government to go behind the scenes and coerce companies to shut down legal, financial, and other types of support to Julian Assange and Wikileaks by making direct, indirect, or veiled threats against those companies and the people who are behind them?

You may not condone the actions of blackmail, I'm with you there, I don't either, but when the lipstick wearing pig is backed into a corner by a wild hogzilla driving a tank, it better turn into something cute and cuddly if it hopes to distract the boar and survive with its life.

Please tell me that under extreme pressure and circumstances you wouldn't do the same.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

I don't assume that only the US is withholding, nor did I say that anywhere. The whole wikileaks deal has been mostly about the US though. I know other countries do the same thing, but we've gotta start somewhere don't we?

Let me point out, wikiL. has created far more issues and they are not related to the U.S. that alone indicates to me that you are not aware of your surroundings. Again, do not take my reply as hostile, but since my time is very limited and i do enjoy my interaction within this site, you need to factor out that not everyone who interacts with ats is U.S. driven.

Within here, you and will find a multiple level of interaction far beyond the casual site.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I know that not everybody here is US driven. I'm also well aware that wikileaks has caused issues for other countries too. However, the US has without a doubt made the biggest deal about it. No surprises about that though, they seem to have their fingers in everything.

Trust me, I have no love for the US.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

I know that not everybody here is US driven. I'm also well aware that wikileaks has caused issues for other countries too. However, the US has without a doubt made the biggest deal about it. No surprises about that though, they seem to have their fingers in everything.

Trust me, I have no love for the US.

Hey, how about you choose the nation within then next 1minute, and perhaps we can get the net buzzing.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Perhaps I'm having a blond moment, but I'm not sure what you're saying there

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Perhaps I'm having a blond moment, but I'm not sure what you're saying there

Really, hmm..how about we assume on a hypothetical question as to the next nation to create mayhem..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Impress me.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Well, if we're still talking in refence to wikileaks then the most likely in my opinion would be England of course because of his trial there.

Outside of that, it seems there could be some interesting developments in Sudan.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Well, if we're still talking in refence to wikileaks then the most likely in my opinion would be England of course because of his trial there.

Outside of that, it seems there could be some interesting developments in Sudan.

Try all roads lead to Rome

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join