posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets
Ignoring some of the divergences in the body of your post, I want to address one aspect of it... That Al Bundy is not an appropriate male role
I happen to strongly disagree. Please allow me to tell you why.
When the comedic craft is stripped away from the Al Bundy character we are left with some very glaring truths.
1) Beneath it all, he loves his wife. He doesn't cheat on her.
2) He works hard, constantly, to provide for his family and does so in a manner which is so selfless that he is rarely left with anything for
3) No matter what happens, he never leaves his family. No matter how frustrated or bizarre the situation, he is forever there, with them.
4) Ultimately he is always supportive of his family. He is protective of their best interests.
5) Many episodes of this show highlight the "my family is more important to me than...." aspect of Al Bundy. His family may in-squabble, but he
never lets outsiders slight his family.
Satire is meant to make light of subject matter. Strip away the satire, and Al Bundy is one hell of a guy.