It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wikileaks nominated to get nobel prize 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

wikileaks nominated to get nobel prize 2011

www.reuters.com

Norwegian politician Snorre Valen cited the site's role in freedom of speech and disclosing information....

OSLO (AFP) - A Norwegian member of parliament said Wednesday he had nominated WikiLeaks for this year's Nobel Peace Prize, insisting the whistleblower website was a gauge of transparency in the world, including in democratic societies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.swedishwire.com[e ditby]edit on 2/2/11 by darrman because: misquoted

edit on 2/2/11 by darrman because: miss steak

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i love the idea...

Among WikiLeaks' accomplishments making it a natural name on the list is the role it played in the recent Tunisian Jasmin Revolution, Valen said Wednesday.

"By disclosing the economic arrangements by the presidential family in Tunisia, Wikileaks have (sic) made a small contribution to bringing down a 24-year-lasting dictatorship," he wrote.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
wikileaks will have stiff competition, i heard barak obama's pencil was nominated.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
As they should get nominated! Glad people are able to stand up for truth and disclosure in times like these where we can't trust our own governments.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
HELL YEAH ! Now thats what Im talking about ! Screw the governments and the pundits and the weakling security services wetting thier pants over the releases, Wikileaks has nobel nomination ! It has global recognition as a genuine source of transparency!
I love it when august bodies throw spanners in the works of lesser minds!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well wikileaks certainly deserve it infinitely more than Obama did.

I hope they get it, so if the US Gov. Goes after wikileaks it highlights just how fascistic and anti-freedom they have become.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

your head line is not only innacurate - it violates the ATS T&C for " breaking news " - you MUST use the headline used by the source you cite

here is the real headline :

WikiLeaks among nominees for Nobel Peace Prize

quite a big difference between ` nomination ` and ` to get `

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Your title makes it sound like it's been finalized, however, from what I read it is still just a nomination.

However, it was just announced a few hours ago that Assange is to be awarded the Sydney peace medal.

As he outrages and embarrasses world leaders by leaking secret US diplomatic cables - and continues to face down allegations of sex offences - Mr Assange has been chosen by the foundation to receive a rare gold medal for peace with justice
www.smh.com.au...

You can read more about this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You know what?

I think everything now could win Nobel peace Price!

" Now , I give Nobel Peace Price to : The greys! . For the loving support and their experiment for a deeper understanding in humans. ... Uhm Mr.Gray , would you mind stop hitting my bottom with that probe? "

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by darrman

your head line is not only innacurate - it violates the ATS T&C for " breaking news " - you MUST use the headline used by the source you cite

`

thank you for the backup,, changed and apologized for...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

What a monumental joke. Wikileaks has done nothing but raise tensions with nations against other nations and somehow this is "PEACE"?

How absurd. The first step to war is an escalation in tensions.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
What a monumental joke. Wikileaks has done nothing but raise tensions with nations against other nations and somehow this is "PEACE"?

Perhaps peace is defined by alternate decades of war in different world locations to feed corporate application of military research instead of actually helping people...

Someone get Oxford on the line...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hope they get it, it'll be funny to hear the US government whining about the Nobel Prize winner instead of the Chinese government for a change.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
wikileaks will have stiff competition, i heard barak obama's pencil was nominated.

I thought he used crayons? Oh well learn something new everyday i suppose.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
he just one some peace medal in australia too... Given out to the likes of the dala lama... let us not forget about bradley mannings. he deserves a medal too.
kx
edit on 2-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Perhaps peace is defined by alternate decades of war in different world locations to feed corporate application of military research instead of actually helping people...

Someone get Oxford on the line...

Nice arbitrary opinion you've conjured up sir, but my point still remains unchallenged. The precursor to war is always an escalation of tensions between nations.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

when one considers the fact that "his O-ness", got one and is guilty of everything you accuse Assange of...

"If you seek peace, then you must prepare for war"

lot's of warmongers have received the peace prize
apologists claim it's a sort of bribe as if giving a PP will magically bring about peace itself.

on the fence about wiki leaks receiving one maybe they should refuse it, it might be an attempt by TCOTBIP to give the appearance of co-opting wiki leaks and taint their image, or it could be a trap.

or accept it in name of Manning or another worthy clause and spring a Big Leak at the ceremony...

it's only a nomination.

of course lot's of worthy candidates have been nominated, and never won one.

edit on 2-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

edit on 2-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The Noble Peace prize has been nothing more than a joke for some time.

Seeing that they are one of the nominees makes me distrust them even more. Look at some of the more recent recipients of the parlor favor.

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I never accused Assnage (sp?) Of anything. What r you talking about? Secondly, his Oness should never have received the Nobel Prize EITHER. Lastly, again that doesn't address my point that the prize for PEACE shouldn't be given to anyone who escalates tensions between nations or peoples.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

The Noble Peace prize has been nothing more than a joke for some time.

Seeing that they are one of the nominees makes me distrust them even more. Look at some of the more recent recipients of the parlor favor.

Raist
it's been a joke since it was given to Arafat.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join