It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM Calling latest Winter Storm "Potentially biggest storm ever seen"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The winter storm that is unfolding in the US Midwest this week (Jan. 31st, 2011), is expected to affect 29 states and over 100,000,000 people in its path. NBC and even some NWS officials are calling this storm, "Potentially the biggest storm ever seen in the US".

Heres a brief video from NBC Nightly News, on January 31st, 2011.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The video briefly shows the satellite view of the storm, and it covers so much of the US, that at a quick glance, you almost can't tell where the land is below.

Could this be mother nature ramping up her "cleansing" mode? Or maybe HAARP at work? Thoughts?

EDIT: Added Satellite image to the first post, from NASA...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6c0d0ff3a2f.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 1/31/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

All i can say is to anyone here on ATS from those effected states Take Care!

That is one mega storm, everytime i see a thread about something like this happening i get the slightest feeling its the calm before the storm.. (no pun intended)

StrangeyD
edit on 07/03/07 by StrangeyD because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I live in northern Pennsylvania, where there are warnings out for over 12" of snow PLUS up to or over 1/4" of ice. This storm started in the northern Pacific, off the Alaska and Washington coasts and looked like one humongous hurricane before it came ashore. Kinda funny how it formed in the neighborhood of our HAARP buddies. I don't have any proof to back that claim up, but, ya know, just saying.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I am in Ontario Canada...on Lake Ontario and we're being told the same thing here..."monster storm" to be exact. They had said snow beginning tomorrow and ramping up in the evening. Overnight and Wednesday bringing the brunt of the storm. The snow during the day Tuesday was a "pre-storm before the real storm hits"...but it has snowed slow but steady ALL day Monday here and that wasn't even supposed to happen.

Even watching the news and weather channel it shows my city as clear and sunny all day LOL. I think we're probably at about 5 cm at least. If this was a non-snowy day, I hate to think what's headed our way. I wish everyone luck and stay home if you can! I've already made plans with work and keeping the kids home from school. I'm not taking any chances

Michelle

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
that sat pic is crazy! reminds me of some movie a couple years ago, forgot the name atm. but when the astronauts looked at earth there was a storm that looked like that.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Damn i saw that ...
cant remember name of it??

Was is the 2012 movie?

StrangeyD

link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Exactly! Can we say "The Day After Tomorrow"?

The National Weather Service is practically screaming phrases like "Killer Storm" and "Mega Storm!".

link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

I'm 20 minutes south of St. Louis. I thank god I prepared for power outages like those that are most likely to occur over the next 48 hours. We have a safe room set up with enough heat and supplies to ride this out. I pray for all of those who are affected by this storm. Be safe, stay warm!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Central Colorado here and so far just a light dusting maybe 1 inch or so. Its very cold and dry though so far. The snow that fell today was a lot like Styrofoam because it was so dry. When it first started coming down it would bounce when it hit the ground or your clothing.

As of right now where I am at its calmed down and quiet.

This isn't uncommon for Colorado this time of year though, actually this is the most normal the weather has been for this area lately.

I hope we don't get dumped on, I JUST washed my car a couple days ago when it was 67 degrees out. I can't stand icy roads and being stuck inside either so, I'm hoping Colorado lucks out and gets the least of the storm.

~sly~

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

When at it's peak the storm is said to be more than 2100 miles in length. I feel really bad sitting here in Sarasota Florida. Tomorrow: Sunny and 73 degrees!

Becker

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

You're lucking out on this one. Its in the Midwest, heading East by North East tonight. Due to dump on the North East by Tuesday late night/Early Wednesday.

That satellite photo from NBC is creepy and eerily familiar from that Day after Tomorrow movie.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

your avatar sooooo looks like Chevy Chase...

anyhow enjoy the weather and possibly the refugees from up north LOL!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The latest Satellite photo of this storm, courtesy of Universe Today

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They say 8"-12" here in Southwest Michigan this afternoon it wasgoing to be 18"- 24" so don't think it's anything special. They have been wrong most of the year. Probably won't get 6"

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's been getting itself going for about an hour where I am (indiana) and already it's one of the nastier ones we've had so far this year.

It's gonna get real ugly lol

link   
www.nasa.gov...

biggest storm....or EPIC CHEMTRAIL?!?!?!

link   
Chicago here, I've heard everything from 6 inches (best case) to 30 inches (worst case) most estimates put it around 20-24, we will definitely see.

I don't know this is the worst storm ever, I think we've gotten spoiled with a few fairly mild years. Who knows maybe I'll eat my words, but I'm guessing we're all gonna be just fine

Go and rent some movies and stock up on staples and hot cocoa it's a winter staycation

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hate to say this but it sees that ever since NBC bought the Weather Channel, things are more drastic.
Coverage is all about ratings and big names and 'scare' factors.

Now, I am not saying that this isn't a big snow storm, but it hasn't started quite yet in the Northeast yet.
So I'll give them the benefit of a doubt.

What happened to all the Nor'Easters from years ago?
Those storms brought feet of snow to the NorthEast.

I guess I see too much sensationalism from NBC, and having the same people run TWC,

Either way, prepare for snow, or ice and be safe.

Could be a record breaking storm!
Could also be a push to get people to panic.

Just think rationally. That's all.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba8d6160fc64.png[/atsimg]
edit on 31-1-2011 by havok because: added picture

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Bracing for the snow in Wisconsin...

I sought shelter in my parents basement...satellite, surround sound, and I've surrounded myself with soda and popcorn. I hope that I make it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I uploaded so no one has to go offsite to see it....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6c0d0ff3a2f.jpg[/atsimg]
The GOES-13 satellite captured this image on Jan. 31, 2011 of a major winter storm covering a large portion of the US. Image Credit: NOAA/NASA GOES Project
edit on 1/31/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join