It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with killer kitty! I'm serious

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
We moved into our house last summer and soon found out we had a new addition to our family: Maya, a beautiful Ragdoll cat. The previous owner of the house had left her behind... She left a note and some money on the table saying that she couldn't take Maya with her and if we didn't want to take care of her, the money was meant to have her put to sleep.
She also left all of Maya's paper work which said that both the mother and father where European champions, and an owner certificate that showed the cat had cost 1600€ to adopt. Maya is about 12 years old now.
We decided to keep her. At first she didn't come into the house much at all and she couldn't get along with my two other cats, but after a month or two that changed. She still doesn't get along with the other two but as long as they leave her alone all is fine.

I noticed from the beginning that Maya has an odd personality. For a Ragdoll, she doesn't like to be held or cuddled and she rather spends the day outside. She whines a lot and sometimes she growls, like a dog...when she growls we must leave her alone because she can be agressive...like a dog...

A few months back she came into the house with a mouse. Now I thought that when a cat brings you a mouse it is meant as a present, so I stood there like an idiot "ooh nice kitty brought me a present! How sweet of youuuuu!!".. but when I tried to take the mouse away from her.. she growled and scratched... I let her out in the garden, with the mouse still in her mouth.
About a week later there was another mouse in my living room, death.. and another on upstairs in the bedroom, still alive.
So ok, cats hunt mice, I get that, it's normal.

But then, back in September, I suddenly find a death squirl in my garden, a big one! So I think 'poor thing' and got rid of it. A week later I find another death squirl... What is going one? Squirls don't just drop death from the trees??
Then in October there is a death rabbit on my porch. I started to suspect Maya but I wasn't sure... how does a cat catch and kill squirls and rabbits?? Until in November I caught her with yet another rabbit, she was eating it.

Today I went upstairs to change my bedding and find a death mouse between my sheets... it was torn to pieces! The head on the floor, a leg on my pillow... and the rest between the sheets... one bloody mess that turned my stomach around!

It seems I got myself one Big killer Ragdoll cat on my hands. I don't think it's normal for a cat to behave like that and I certainly don't know how to fix it. The animal is 12 years old and she obviously hasn't been trained right. My own two cats are indoors, they play, but are never aggressive, never break stuff (much) and they certainly don't kill. Then will play with the occasional spider they find, but even then it's just play and not kill....
Maya doesn't just kill, she torns apart and leaves horrible half-eaten messes!

To be honest, I don't like this cat so much anymore... I'm usual a big animal lover, but this cat, there is something wrong with it, she behaves like a fox or a wolf, not like the expensive lap cat that she should be!

Help!
edit on 31/1/2011 by GypsK because: spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Is there not such a thing like rspca for this sort of animal?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow..all I can think to do is to throw Holy water at it while saying over and over "the power of Christ compels you"

That is one mean sounding cat. Never heard of one like that before and have no idea how to calm it down.

maybe zumba??

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Catnip, it's like crack to cats. Train the cat to come to you, if the cat is aggressive then do not give it any.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Is there not such a thing like rspca for this sort of animal?

if there is then they probably put her down.... she really is a beauty (on the outside!)... and I'm not killing her off just like that

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

lol @ zumba! think that'll work?

she also growls at me when I kiss my husband... jealous evil kitty!
The other day she crawled into the bed at night, between the two of us and I swear she was trying to push me out!

maybe a priest will do...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pittsburgh
Catnip, it's like crack to cats. Train the cat to come to you, if the cat is aggressive then do not give it any.

I've never tried catnip.. it seems cruel from what I've seen on youtube.

besides, I'm not so sure if you can train a 12 year old cat but if all else fails I think I'll give the catnip a try

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

At 12 or so your asking alot to change her. But you can give a go. I do not like cats, and i stay away from them.

But if your really into saving it, there is probably alot you can do, and you need to de some research.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Don't kill her for doing what comes natural. First of all, if you have a garage or overhang to keep her out of the elements, don't allow her in the main living area. Secondly, if you want to get rid of her, fine. Why is death the only option? There are farmers out there who would love an effective pest killer. Mice, squirrels, and rabbits are pests. I'd be thankful for that part of it. Just don't allow her in your bedroom!!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

You could try this link:

No Kill Shelter

Taken from the ALF website.

I knew a cat like that when I was younger. He was named Ivan the Terrible. A truly vicious sort also.

He would beat dogs up for fun, and leave bloody little presents for his owner.

Every kid in the neighboorhood knew to give Ivan a wide berth!
edit on 31-1-2011 by sixswornsermon because: oops bad link

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That is indeed unusual behavior for a ragdoll cat. First I have to ask, how long was this cat left alone before you got her? Perhaps she had to fend for herself, hence the hunting. Also, have you taken it to a vet? She may be in pain and that would explain the mean behavior. 12 years is old for a cat, she may need medical attention. These cats are usually quite docile. Please have her checked.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I wish you could send her to me!

I would love to have such a proficient hunter to eradicate the critters who view my garden as their personal feeding grounds.

My dog doesn't seem to have that instinct and I cut down a HUGE oak so I would have a straight shot to my garden but have yet to see what is using it as a feeding ground.

I was just talking to someone yesterday who informed me that what I need are a couple of cats.

edit on 31-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Cats are predatory animals (carnivores) it is in their nature to kill and eat prey animals such as rabbits, mice and squirrels. We have a cat and we tried to introduce it to my sisters two rabbits at an early age, to try and stop the cat from killing them. Every time they are anywhere near each other, the cat goes straight for the neck. It's not your cats fault, it's how it catches food in the wild

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Strangely I saw a program yesterday with a woman that had a cat doing exactly the same thing.

The vet said that the cat was trying to teach the owner how to hunt and leading by example, she is worried that you suck at catching mice and is trying to show you how to do it!

Unfortunately I missed the end of the program
So I don't know how they resolved the issue, maybe if she sees you catching a mouse?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by louieprima
Why is death the only option? There are farmers out there who would love an effective pest killer. Mice, squirrels, and rabbits are pests. I'd be thankful for that part of it. Just don't allow her in your bedroom!!!!!

I'm not planning on killing her, I could never do that!
We are curently trying the 'not allowed in the bedroom' option, which is a punishment for my other cats as well... guess they'll have to learn and live with that.
I know the mice come from the corn fields behind my house and yes, a lot of farmers would be grateful...

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

You could try this link:

No Kill Shelter
Taken from the ALF website.

I knew a cat like that when I was younger. He was named Ivan the Terrible. A truly vicious sort also. He would beat dogs up for fun, and leave bloody little presents for his owner.

lol@ Ivan the terrible, I can just imagine!
thanks for that link, but... do you know what the ALF is? (are you from around Belgium) Because, that organisation may have the best intentions, sometimes they take it a little to far... like burning down the fast food restaurants to make their point...
I'm not taking the cat to a shelter, I'm keeping her as long as possible.

Originally posted by Night Star
First I have to ask, how long was this cat left alone before you got her? Perhaps she had to fend for herself, hence the hunting. Also, have you taken it to a vet? She may be in pain and that would explain the mean behavior. 12 years is old for a cat, she may need medical attention. These cats are usually quite docile. Please have her checked.

The cat was never alone but of course I don't know how the previous owner treated her... maybe she did have to provide for her own food... who knows, it would surely explain her behaviour. I went to a vet with her already and she's perfectly healthy. The vet said that that Ragdolls can get as old as 17-18 years.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with your cat. She's perfectly normal. She's a carnivore and she's a huntress. We have one on our property, but she isn't allowed inside. She hunts and kills birds, mice, rats, rabbits and probably squirrels.

The growling at you is a little strange, but if she were my cat, I think I'd restrict her to the outdoors.

Our dogs have brought rabbits and rats into the house! I woke to the screams of a rabbit dying in my living room. Living under the same roof with prey-driven carnivores is not for the faint of heart.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
I wish you could send her to me!

I would love to have such a proficient hunter to eradicate the critters who view my garden as their personal feeding grounds.

I was just talking to someone yesterday who informed me that what I need are a couple of cats.

lol your not getting her, I'm gonna free her from all the evilness inside!

My other two cats don't hunt at all... only insects maybe, but nothing bigger. I guess it all depends on the breed as well, maybe some cats can help you with your problem.

Originally posted by Griffo
Cats are predatory animals (carnivores) it is in their nature to kill and eat prey animals such as rabbits, mice and squirrels. We have a cat and we tried to introduce it to my sisters two rabbits at an early age, to try and stop the cat from killing them. Every time they are anywhere near each other, the cat goes straight for the neck. It's not your cats fault, it's how it catches food in the wild

I honestly didn't know cats eat squirrels, I don't even get how they can ever catch one! lol

But that's the thing, Maya was bought as a lap cat, and everyone who pays 1600 euro for a cat should keep it inside and not let it go wild in the fields.... my other cats stay inside and they don't have that killer instinct because they never learned to develop it.

Originally posted by davespanners
Strangely I saw a program yesterday with a woman that had a cat doing exactly the same thing.

The vet said that the cat was trying to teach the owner how to hunt and leading by example, she is worried that you suck at catching mice and is trying to show you how to do it!

Unfortunately I missed the end of the program
So I don't know how they resolved the issue, maybe if she sees you catching a mouse?

omg rofl!
Unfortunately for Maya, I used to keep mice as pets, before I started having cats. I pet them instead of eating them, lol

teaching me how to do it...ha, by shreding them to pieces in my bed!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I honestly didn't know cats eat squirrels, I don't even get how they can ever catch one! lol

But that's the thing, Maya was bought as a lap cat, and everyone who pays 1600 euro for a cat should keep it inside and not let it go wild in the fields.... my other cats stay inside and they don't have that killer instinct because they never learned to develop it.

They'll eat anything that they can catch! I woke up one morning and went outside only to be greeted by a mass of feathers and a pigeon with its head ripped off.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sometimes when Maya gets stuborn, she goes lay outside the window in the rain... I can't help but feeling sorry for her then and I could never leave a pet ouside at night. My other two cats grew up on an appartment in the city and even now that I live on the country I don't let them out...

from all the replies here I get it that it is normal behaviour for an outdoor or wild cat.... just wish she kept her trofees outside because I even feel sorry for the mice and the squirls

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
I can't help but feeling sorry for her then and I could never leave a pet ouside at night.

Just thought you might get some info from this site if you change your mind. Our Bonzie cat lives her entire life outside, but she has shelter. That's what's important.

www.neighborhoodcats.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join