It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with killer kitty! I'm serious

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

They'll eat anything that they can catch! I woke up one morning and went outside only to be greeted by a mass of feathers and a pigeon with its head ripped off.

great! I'd cry if I found that on my doorstep...
then give it a nice and proper burial in my garden,
next to the rabbits and the squirls... and punish the cat

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for the link
I'll check it out...

and yes, Maya does have shelter when she desides to stay out all night

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

You are making it sound as though this cat has a deficiency or a problem of some sort when in fact the poor misunderstood animal is as bright as a button - a shining example of it's species!

My family had a cat that matches yours to a tee so here's a few hints and tips.

First and foremost, she isn't mindlessly ripping apart mice, rabbits and squirrels out of bloodlust - she's dissecting them to get at the bits she likes to gobble up most (with the precision of a butcher).

Never touch or try to remove her kills. Spend a minute or two looking at it and then let her get on with eating it. You'll find that cats like these need to show off their achievements but they think you are trying to rob them of their dinner if you pick the corpse up and go to chuck it out the window. It's a pain to clear up the mess afterwards but things will go more smoothly for you in the long run if you make the effort.

Do not try to stroke, mollycoddle or molest the beast in any way. If maya fancies a stroke, she'll come to you on her own terms if she trusts you.

And once you've gained the little devils trust, you'll find the relationship more rewarding than any you would get from a 'pussy' cat.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Yes, I know what the ALF is. No , I'm not from Belgium, but I enjoy your beers

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
great! I'd cry if I found that on my doorstep...
then give it a nice and proper burial in my garden,
next to the rabbits and the squirls... and punish the cat

...cats are the only critter thats considered (by arrogant humans) to be domesticated but they really arent... humans can profoundly retard them and call it domestication but its not...

...cats (thats havent been retarded by humans) know they are superior and they enjoy putting you in your place (far below them)... your ragdoll is one of those and good for her...

...you will never be superior in her view... you might eventually attain equal status but that'll only happen if she has reason to respect you and, so far, she obviously doesnt...

...to keep her kills out of your house - do not allow her free access to the house... she'll be fine... if she nags to come inside with a kill, crack the door a wee bit and squirt her with a water pistol, then shut the door and walk away... she'll figure it out...

...post a pic of her if you can...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

Originally posted by bozzchem
I wish you could send her to me!

I would love to have such a proficient hunter to eradicate the critters who view my garden as their personal feeding grounds.

I was just talking to someone yesterday who informed me that what I need are a couple of cats.

lol your not getting her, I'm gonna free her from all the evilness inside!

My other two cats don't hunt at all... only insects maybe, but nothing bigger. I guess it all depends on the breed as well, maybe some cats can help you with your problem.

I'm afraid I don't see this behavior as "evilness". To me it sounds like you have an awesome cat and I hope to get a set of cats that are as proficient as the one you have issues with. I'm a dog rather than a cat person but it sounds like you have one hell of a hunter and should reward her rather than try to change her.

Then again, you probably don't live in the woods as I do.

It sounds to me like you have a gift.

My german shepherd brought me a mouse. I never knew dogs did that!

edit on 31-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Your kittie is very normal, sounds like she is an excellent hunter! I think some cats just prefer solitude, and she sounds like that suits her just fine, so her needing to be off by herself also sounds normal. She also may be growling at you because when you moved in (from her perspective), you invaded her space, her home, and because she has taken to you the most, she is venting at you, just like kids will do to their moms. She sounds like she has a dominant personality, hence her need to be alone, and also maybe her aggressiveness. I would definately get her assessed by a vet though to see if there are any physical problems, especially due to her age, she could be having any number of issues like joint or urinary problems.

I had to laugh at the disected squirel she left for you. Twice, one of my cats, who is the best hunter of the bunch (I've had up to 15 in my care), brought me snakes, oh yes, and was even kind enough to leave them in my bedroom for me! He has also brought me fish, birds, squirrels, moles, and mice. Gotta love cats and the adventure they bring, lol.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just sayin.....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies and I get the point, all of the points made here.
I'll post some pictures of my cats tomorrow.

So far my view on cats was a lot different then the view of all of you who feel that cats should be kept in their natural environment (outside) and with their natural instincts (hunt, kill and eat).

My first cat, Angel, came from an animal shelter when she was two months old. I picked her because she was the most scared kitty. She's almost 3 years old now and still is a scared cat, whenever we have visiters she hides and she will only come out when there are no strangers around. She sneaked out once, stayed away for two days and after that never wanted to go out again.

My second cat, Ishti (nicknamed E.T.) also came from a shelter, she was 3 weeks old and I picked her because I felt she wouldn't survive in the shelter, alone and without a mother to feed her. They where feeding her meat in the shelter. Two days later she was as good as death so we had to give her fluids under the skin twice a day with an injection needle to keep her hydrated. I bottle fed her for 2 more weeks, woke up two times each night to make sure she got fluids and threated her like a baby. The result of all this is that now, two years later, she still thinks she's my baby and doesn't act like a cat at all. But she's the sweetest most gentile cat you can imagine. She's the one who developed food allergies early on, everything that contains chicken or bird products gives her distress... so even if I wanted to, I can't let her outside because there she will find and eat a lot of things that could kill her.

Our new house is at the edge of the woods, forrest on one side and corn fields on the other side. Maya grew up outside and I wouldn't force her to stay indoors. She has these 'kitten doors' to go in and outside. My other two cats are to stupid to use the kitten doors, after almost 6 months they still haven't figured them out...lol
Now some would argue that Angel and Ishti aren't "real" cats and Maya is. To me they are all pets and I keep them just because of that, not because they are good hunters.

Next spring we will be 'catproofing' a part of our garden so all of them can go outside, IF I can get them to go outside, without being able to wonder outside the garden, except for Maya, she will get a magnetic cat door.

Like I said, I keep cats because they are pets and I don't want my pets to go bother the neighbors or kill their chickens or rabbits. so I try to keep them on my own property.

I know to my other two cats I'm not the boss, I'm more like their employee that serves them on their needs... but Maya, she's something else, not like any other cat I've ever seen when I still lived in the city... guess that's how cats in the country our. And of course she's not the devil himself, that was just talk.
She can be sweet as well, when she wants to, but never when I want her to... she jumps on my lap on very rare occasions and she trusts and respects my husband more then she does me... probably because hubby thinks it's cool to have a hunter in the house.

With the previous owner she had 6 food bowls all lined up with 6 different brands of food. It took her only a week to learn that I give her one brand of food in only one bowl and on set times. So she learns and she accepts certain things.
The only thing that bothers me is the killing and the mess inside the house.

And yes, I did take her to see a vet and she's perfectly fine and healthy for her age.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Glad your kitty has been to the vets. All of my cats have been indoor cats as well and all lived long lives. One lived to be 19. The cat we have now is a rescue and a persian who was outside for who knows how long. She is deaf. When we first got her she was terrified of everything and would hiss and growl and sounded like a wildcat. With much time and patience she turned into the most loving and sweetest cat. I can't wait to see pictures of your ragdoll!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...cats are the only critter thats considered (by arrogant humans) to be domesticated but they really arent... humans can profoundly retard them and call it domestication but its not...

What about dogs by the way? Domestication just means taming so that they can become accustomed to humans. Cats and dogs do to varying degrees
edit on 31/1/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

As others have already said, your cat is normal in every respect, and is doing what many years of evolution has programmed her to do. Even though she is a Ragdoll, all domestic cats share a common ancestry traced back to the times where they were all wild. Having been around cats my entire life, even the most docile ones can become mean and nasty if they feel threatened. I think the previous owner left her outside for the most part and she reverted back to her wild side to survive, and as far as your other cats, she has earned the Alpha status and reminds them and you by aggression. I had two Maine coon cats, known for their lovable nature, play with those furry mice you buy in pet stores, and would prance around with one in their mouths, growling at the other cats and almost daring them to try to get it from them. If I tried to get it, they would growl at me, but would never bite. They were indoors 100%, so that would be the difference. I recently bought a home in the country and was left 2 outdoor barn cats as part of the deal. One was very lovable and people friendly, while the other was feral. The previous owners even warned me that she is feral and would scratch and bite if picked up. They left them outside 24/7, which allowed them to adopt a more primitive way of life. Long story short - that little feral cat is now my lap cat since I allowed her to accept me and trust me, slowly and over time, and did not act nervous or allow her to think she was the Alpha - just an equal so to speak. And yes, she catches and eats fairly large rabbits and mice, birds, etc. That is why the owners had them - to keep mice out of the barn. They cannot be "untrained" to kill. And as another poster stated, her bringing home her kill to show you is just reminding you that you are part of her "pride."

Relax, ignore her threats, and let her accept you. Don't force it or punish her with hitting, etc...You will be pleasantly surprised.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What about dogs by the way?

...they're not as smart as cats...

...you cant train a cat to work... you can train it to do tricks, use a kitty door, litter pan, not climb up the curtains - stuff like that - but if you try to train it to work, it'll give you a look that clearly says "you're an idiot", then it'll flip its tail and walk off cuz it knows its the superior being...

...dogs are naturally pack animals (cats arent)... so its fairly easy to get them to work for you, as long as they see you as an alpha...

Domestication just means taming so that they can become accustomed to humans.

...domestication means far more than just that...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As a cat owner myself, I have had the same issues with my short hair. We ended up putting a bell around he neck so it would signal the animals she would prey to run away before she pounced. She also had a habit of killing the animal and then playing with its body and then leaving it for my dog to chew up.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I had a ragdoll. He was born on a farm as a barn cat.While he would be affecionate at times it was always on his terms.His mother and father both taught him that mice and such were food and not to be toyed with.He was an amazing hunter and would dissect his kill much as you describe to get to the parts he liked and then would leave the rest.I never saw any aggression such as you describe,growling and such.I did not permit him to bring kills into the house and he always respected that rule.he was raised as an outdoor cat although he stayed inside especially when it was very cold as it does get cold here in winter.Your cat behaves like an outdoor cat and I would keep it that way as much as you can.Hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Well maybe moreso than some dogs. Some breeds of dogs are extremely intelligent. You couldn't train a cat to lead a blind person across the street could you?

Yes, I know it means more than that, I was just giving a simple example

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So where is the picture of our little devil? I mean darling.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
So where is the picture of our little devil? I mean darling.

While you are waiting..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
she got in bed with you! that is good and nice.
maybe she was cuddling up to you
and not pushing you out of the bed.
is she had growled at you in bed.
then you could say she wonted you out.
it takes time for the both of you to become close freinds.
one day it will just happen.
you will not even notice.

I have a evil cat to.
she come up ask's to be stroked.
then after once she grows and walks off?
I have had her since a kitten.
now about 11.
I have taken her to the vets and can find nothing wrounge.
she is a lovely cat and will not bit or scratch.

just give your cat time.
and let her see the love your other cats get.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sorry it took me a while to get these uploaded
but here she is: Maya

The squirrl killer!

Btw, she's not fat, that's just the winter fur
underneath she's even a bit to skinny, according to the vet...
edit on 3/2/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join