It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans how do you feel about YOUR tax $$$ going to Egypt?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Giving money away does not strengthen the giver.

If that was the case then when you walk down the high street shop owners would run out and give you money on the proviso you came into their shop and bought something.

So stop talking nonsense. If the US wanted to strengthen its military manufactures it would simply give them the money instead of giving it to somebody else.

Of course the recievers of this cash are going to make up any fairy tale to make it sound like it's a good deal for the giver. But they must think we all button up the back if they think we are gonna fall for it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Not one dime for foreign aid to ANY other country until every last American owns a modest home.

And there is a chicken in every American's cookpot.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

So what you're saying is that the U.S would have benefited more from not giving aid to anyone.

That's.. Pretty obvious, isn't it?

But seeing as it has chosen to give aid to others, I am merely pointing out the fact that not only does it give very little aid, to all those concerned with its donations bringing down its economy, it has also found a way to benefit from giving aid to other countries, an action which you don't usually benefit very much from.
So in terms of giving aid, they're really not giving as much as they think.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Eliad because: Redid the whole post to make it more clear.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Personally, it makes me feel GREAT.

It was that money that funded the Egyptian Military, which in turn PROTECTED the citizens from the corrupt Police State.

Thanks for asking

Yes i am seeing that now....Didn't know a lot when i posted this thread....Thanks!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad
reply to post by bigyin

Actually my point was that the aid the U.S gives the world is less than 1 percent of its federal budget, and that a lot of what it gives it actually uses to strengthen its own war industry.

My point was that the U.S isn't in a big financial hole because of the aid it's giving, and that it doesn't spend much at all on aid, in fact it found a way to get something out of giving that aid...

I thought that was pretty clear...

Edit- Also, don't complain about "zionist mods" later when your post gets deleted for your derogatory and unmannered behavior.

Well you always provide us with a good laugh at least.

What a crock of bs.

Seriously you sound delusional to me. Please seek professional help.

Being rude and disgraceful doesn't help you prove your point.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Eliad because: Second part added.

I never complain about the mods, nor do I call them zionist, so please stop making stuff up.

Telling lies is not a way to prove your point.

Besides I'm not trying to prove any point, what I'm saying doesn't need to be proved, everyone knows it already, except you obviously, but you do now.

All I was doing was having a laugh at some some of the things you were saying. Keep going though cause we could all do with something to laugh about right now.
edit on 31-1-2011 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Really hah!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

Why? You written a book?

Nunya!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

1% is not much in foreign aid.Did not know that.....As stated before i probably should have done more research before posting this......Need less to say I AM fed up with our government waste,but that would be a whole other topic.lol.Thank you for the info!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I'm sorry, I must have confused you with someone else. People in this forum often behave in a derogatory and disrespectful manner, and then complain about mods being pro or anti Israeli when their posts get T&Ced.

You yourself have said that you've asked the mods to ban me for my "hate speech and personal attacks", so I only assumed someone as sensitive as you to this subject would not behave in the same manner you complained about.

Also it seems as though the OP completely understood my point as I meant it, and appreciates my contribution to his thread.

I just don't see what the problem is with what I said.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
No what pisses me off the most is when I see people come on these boards and rip into us Americans when we have an opinion on what should happen in Egypt. Because it's not like it's our concern or anything, sorry they could have refused the money. I guess we are good for propping up economies and such at the expense of our own but other than that we are just evil. So how much have all the other countries given from their taxpayers?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnis
reply to post by Ellen15

That is the thing, our tax monies haven't HELPED those who could use it, it has gone to things that really are mostly useless..

Military equipment, leaders pockets, etc. instead of the people. Even here in the USA, the taxes go to funding "unknown" things that we never hear about.

Actually, that isn't totally true. The military does get the bulk of the money - that is true. As someone pointed out - the military in Egypt is actually liked and have thus far pledged not to fire on the people in these protests.

However, the rest of the aid (some $250mil last year) went to things like schools, libraries, better health, etc.

Some of the good things US Tax dollars have done or helped bring about in Egypt
Libraries for 39,000 schools (that's over 24 million books)
Teachers - 65,000 teachers trained
Polio Eradication campaigns ( Polio was eradicated in Egypt in 2006)
Utilities - (99% of the population now has electricity and 98% has clean water)

The US government doesn't always spend money on good or wise things. However, they are not always the great satan or stupid either. Like it or not - the US does do some good things and does spend some money that actually helps people. As a tax-payer I'm very ok with the programs I just listed above.

All came from the site linked in the OP.. USAID - Egypt

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
They give Egyptians bombs while Americans starve:

NO MORE FOREIGN AID

edit on 31-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Im ok to with the money going for teachers and librarys..I WAS NOT ok thinking the president of that country was living like a king on our money..On the other hand however ,when our country is trillions in debt and our schools are failing and social security is on the verge of being bankrupt that 3 billion that goes for foreign aid could stay here and help our country.....If we can NOT help ourselves out of this mess how can we continue to help others in the future??...Thank you sharing!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

I am sure Mubarak finds some way to siphon money off it, or double-deal some of the weapons that we gave them for free to other Africa/Middle Eastern nations in the black-market for a profit. He's still a power hungry dictator that won’t drop his power even though millions of his own people have been demanding he step down for over a week..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Yes we do need to take care of our own for sure..Imagine is a favorite song of mine and i wish the world could be like that.....I am a dreamer to.Maybe someday...Thank you for the video,brought tears to my eyes.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Most Official Development Assistance (ODA) came from the 23 members of the Development Assistance Committee (DAC), or about USD 103.49 billion in 2007. A further USD 11.8 billion came from the European Commission while all non-DAC countries gave USD 5.56 billion.[6]
The largest DAC donors were the United States (USD 21.8 billion), Germany ($12.29 billion), France ($9.88 billion), United Kingdom ($9.85 billion) and Japan ($7.68 billion), while the largest non-DAC donors were Saudi Arabia (USD 2 billion) and Turkey ($0.6 billion). However, none of those met the UN target of giving at least 0.7 percent of the Gross National Income (GNI) as aid. United States (0.16% of GNI) and Japan (0.17% of GNI) were in fact giving least among the members of DAC. The only countries meeting the targets in 2007 were Norway (0.96% of GNI), Sweden (0.93% of GNI), Luxembourg (0.91% of GNI), the Netherlands and Denmark (both 0.81% of GNI).[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We pay to keep the Suez Canal open. I'm fine with it whether Mubarak is deserving or not. I'm all for spending more to keep the canal open as long as it stays out of the control of radical muslims.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think the money sent to Egypt was a fantastic idea. Sadly, the way it was used was wrong.

We should have worked hard to remove as much Islamic influence from the region as possible so as to foster individual rights and liberty. Instead, we unthinkingly funded the eventual rise of an Islamic nation uninterested in fancy Western notions like individual rights.

Had we mitigated the influence of Islam and fostered Western culture, we would be in better place today and so would the Egyptians. To think what heights they may have reached unshackled from the bonds of Mecca.

Our money was squandered on Jihad and the Egyptians will pay for our mistake.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The same way I feel about foreign welfare to any foreign state, including izrael, IT HAS TO STOP.

Thank you Rand Paul for standing up for America.

Video: Rand Paul Wants Cut Foreign Aid to Everyone

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The aid you give is less than 0.2% of your GNI.. Will getting that back really save America's economy, or is Paul Rand just talking out of his ass?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join