It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested With Explosives Outside One of Nation's Largest Mosques

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Man Arrested With Explosives Outside One of Nation's Largest Mosques

www.foxnews.com

DETROIT -- A 63-year-old U.S. man who had explosives in his vehicle was arrested outside one of America's largest mosques in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, authorities said.

Police said Roger Stockham was arraigned Wednesday on one count of making a false report or threat of terrorism and one count of possessing explosives with an unlawful intent. Stockham had a large but undisclosed quantity of class-C fireworks including M-80s, which are outlawed in Michigan, Chief Ronald Haddad said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well it wasn't really ``explosives``... it were big fireworks.

Anyone knows if you could pack a bunch of fireworks together and blow them up to act like a bomb? I bet you could.

Thing is, what would have happened if this guy actually bombed the mosque? Egypt/Tunisia style riots anyone?

I doubt this was a thwarted false-flag... probably some old guy who wanted to kill some muslims because he's been told to hate them by the MSM.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

lawl...

all revolutions should have fireworks after the victory.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Reminds me of the NY incident with the alleged firework bomb in the car....
Dry run or some thing else?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

M-80s are firecrackers.

Sensationalism at its finest.
edit on 30/1/11 by MikeboydUS because: s

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

M-80s are firecrackers.

Yeah but, can you make a bomb with those? I mean, there's gun powder in those fireworks. It can act like a bomb.

But yeah, it's probably just sensationalism and the guy never wanted to bomb the mosque.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sensationalism for sure but at the same time, its the amount of gun powder or "explosives" which determine strength.

As usual, the corporate media is exposing itself. The label "terrorist" or "terrorism" is not defined by the act, but rather by the group or affiliation.

Had this been a Muslim guy arrested for doing the exact same thing, "terrorist, terrorism and Al-Qaeda" would have been plastered all over the place.

TPTB then wonder why newspapers and magazines are declaring bankruptcy, why ratings are at an all time low. They've been exposed and people have had enough of the hypocritical propaganda.

edit on 30-1-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Are you ****ting me?

Arrested for M-80's?

Dear Lord, these retarded authorities should have seen me as a fifteen year old. This was back when an M-80 was the equivalent of a quarter stick of 40% dynamite. I'd have a pack full, enough to keep me occupied for hours!

I recall going into a store at thirteen and buying four one-pound cans of reloading powder. Just for the weekend!

And yes, I later became a SF team engineer, which so happened to have the greatest demolition/improvised explosives school in the world.

Funny how that works out.

The stupidity of this incident is what's really frightening.

Be arresting kids with sparklers within a hundred feet of a water tower next.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Are you ****ting me?

Arrested for M-80's?

Dear Lord, these retarded authorities should have seen me as a fifteen year old. This was back when an M-80 was the equivalent of a quarter stick of 40% dynamite. I'd have a pack full, enough to keep me occupied for hours!

I recall going into a store at thirteen and buying four one-pound cans of reloading powder. Just for the weekend!

And yes, I later became a SF team engineer, which so happened to have the greatest demolition/improvised explosives school in the world.

Funny how that works out.

The stupidity of this incident is what's really frightening.

Be arresting kids with sparklers within a hundred feet of a water tower next.

did ya ever tape an M80 to a window and use a Lucky Strike cigarette as a time delay fuse ?

works every time !

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The only fireworks I would be concerned about would be if he had about 6 boxes of sparklers. I will not go into detail, but those are serious stuff.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I dont know what the guys exact intent was but that place is a massive concrete structure. Those m80's might have scared some people but they wouldn't come close to blowing up that building.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

M-80s, like the old fasioned "cherrybombs" and "silver salutes", are not made with gunpowder or high explosives but rather use flash powder, typically a mix of aluminum, sulfur and an oxidizer. Flash powder burns fast with a "POOF" when unconfined and was originally used by photographers to illuminate objects for a photograph.

When confined, flash powder has a loud report, bright flash and mild concussion. Same type of stuff used in police "flash bang" or stun grenades. The media reporting that M-80s are an explosive is technically not accurate and is typical of the fear mongering and sensationalism run rampant in the media today.

And to answer the question, No putting a bunch of M-80s together and lighting a fuse would not cause a huge explosion. The flash powder would need to be be combined and then confined to make a larger bang. Trust me, I know having blown off thousands of these as a kid. (Yes, I still have all my fingers and toes.)

Wiki entry

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Any compound that burns fast enough in a combined space can simulate an explosion. Same thing can be said for match heads. Deflagration is vastly different the detonation.
edit on 30-1-2011 by survivalstation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
How stupid is this? Did the guy admit to having criminal intent? Nothing is said about that in the article all we see is "man arrested with fireworks in his car by local mosque. Police say he had criminal intent"

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

One M-80 is a firecracker. A hundred will mess your up plans for the rest of the day.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vampiri

One of the news stations hre is reporting the guy made some kind of statements while at a bar which were disturbing enough that the bartender alerted the authorities.

www.freep.com...|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

He had driven to Michigan from California and reportedly was overheard in a bar making threatening comments about Muslims or Arabs. His car was loaded with large, illegal fireworks, police said. Now, Roger Stockham, 63, is jailed on charges that include making a false report or threat of terrorism.

edit on 31-1-2011 by ANOMALY502 because: added link

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I doubt this was a thwarted false-flag... probably some old guy who wanted to kill some muslims because he's been told to hate them by the MSM.
Yes agree there are a few "people" on ats like that unfortunately .

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
If you packed together M-80's you may blow a hole in a wall but you couldn't "blow up" a mosque especially one that big. And did anyone else catch the double speak where they say he had "anti-government" sentiments yet wanted to bomb a mosque? We all know the most racist Islamophobes are the ones working with the government.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
If you packed together M-80's you may blow a hole in a wall but you couldn't "blow up" a mosque especially one that big. And did anyone else catch the double speak where they say he had "anti-government" sentiments yet wanted to bomb a mosque? We all know the most racist Islamophobes are the ones working with the government.

YES couldn't agree more plus they are protected by sites such as this which in itself is scandalous .

DONT LET THEM DIVIDE AND CONQUER YOU !!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

M-80s are firecrackers.

Yeah but, can you make a bomb with those? I mean, there's gun powder in those fireworks. It can act like a bomb.

But yeah, it's probably just sensationalism and the guy never wanted to bomb the mosque.

How are you going to get them to all explode simultaneously??? the gunpowder is a pretty inefficient explosive. It is the packing the gives it the bang. I used to make my own as a kid.

Why didn't grandpaw stay home?

When will we be content? Will it be when every peaceful moslem is converted to terrorism?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join