It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looters destroy mummies in Egyptian Museum: official

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
But to destroy your own history and culture?

Buddhas of Bamiyan

They were intentionally dynamited and destroyed in 2001 by the Taliban, on orders from leader Mullah Mohammed Omar,[4] after the Taliban government declared that they were "idols".[5] International opinion strongly condemned the destruction of the Buddhas, which was viewed as an example of the intolerance of the Taliban. Japan and Switzerland, among others, have pledged support for the rebuilding of the statues

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather
But destroying it? Flat-out destroying it?
There is literally nothing to gain from that!

THE SECRET OF NIMRUD
JIACG Recovers Treasures of Nimrud

Nothing like stealing artifacts and melting down the gold

At least Nimrud's crown survived

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
This threw me for a loop, I am sure they were well protected but to think someone, anyone would want to get revenge by destroying ancient artifacts, this is just beyond my comprehension. I know criminals loot, but why destroy? I don't get it.

Iraq Archeological sites... The dig site is the rectangles, all the round holes are looters digging random holes

Aerial Photographs of Looted Sites
Photos by special permission from the Italian Carabinieri
Copyright Carabinieri T.P.C. Italia.

Umm-al-Aqarib

Zabalam

Tell-Shmid

Tell-Medinah

Jokha

From
Heritage Lost
Looting of archaeological sites continues in Iraq
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Looters at work waving at camera

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
And THAT'S why the British and French took so many treasures from archaeological findings the past three centuries.

'Indiana Jones' of Egyptian archaeology demands Rosetta Stone from British Museum
www.dailymail.co.uk...

When I said I want to have it on a short-term loan, the British Museum wrote a letter to say that they need to know the security of the museum that will host the stone. 'They know that this museum is going to be the largest museum in the world, the security will be perfect.

it's the same guy who had that archaeology show on TV.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

shhhh..
How dare you try to derail this thread with facts!
Star!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by filosophia

Before blaming the protesters for this digusting act, check out the links showing that police were in plain clothes and causing a lot of mayhem to paint the protesters in a bad light..

Find and punish anyone who does this kind of thing, be they protesters or police...

Don't get me wrong, my first thought was something sinister must be involved. No way would Egyptians destroy their own artifacts. People discussed "looting" in case the fire was out of control and burned the museum, but they would "return it" (well, maybe) but destruction makes no sense when looting is at least an option. I'm not endorsing looting, I'm just saying that looting is bad, but it at least has a point, what is the point of destroying it? This is why I'm thinking this may be a personal vendetta. I don't want to go off the deep end but what if it was alien involvement? I don't think I believe that but it's kinda freaky if you think about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

It's been reported that The Muslim Brotherhood arranged protesters to PROTECT the Museum and other worthy sites..

If anyone is destroying stuff then it's random idiots or police wishing to stir trouble..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

A friend sent me this link that illustrates this point quite clearly.

Its obvious we're being told some things by the MSM but there are many things left out.
edit on 29-1-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Stupid iPhone auto correct.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I simply stated that Human life is more valuable than dead life. If they lose couple of historical monuments to gain freedom, then that is fine by me.

I find it odd that the Western media is showing more concern towards these artifacts, than the Egyptian people.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I want to point some things out to you people who think the people are doing this..

I am on fb that is supposed someone is getting news from eygpt so i will link the source and so 2 things that are important for this post..

Source

Numerous reports from people on the ground confirmed that the situation now is the Egyptian Police (Amn Markazy) along with the usual plain cloths government-thugs/convicts are looting and stealing cars and making as much destruction as they can. So there plan is to cause as much chaos & destruction as possible, stick ...it to the millions of protesters & use this as an execuse to attack them

and

ok. To some of the comments on the last post about protesters NOT looting: I still stand by that. Protesters who went to the street to ask for their freedom & have been sleeping rough for the good of the country are DEFINITLEY not looting. The situation is ugly but not as ugly as you may think. There are lootings but not as wide spread as rumours say.

Food for thought..

Dont believe everything you read and only half of what you see.. Remember they do this all the time.. Look at the g20 summits to see this point.
edit on 1/29/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
This is what happens when the people don't have law. If you haven't noticed, and when I say you, yes, I mean you.... People are pigs. It doesn't matter what country it happens in. When it happens in the usa, the second the people are free to do whatever they want, every single shopping mall, grocery store, musuem, and whatever else, will be raided, looted, and destroyed. It's a fact. People will take advantage of it while there is no law. So to those of you that are heartbroken, how can you be? This is normal, and expected. This is what we are as a human race. Watch Zeitgeist. We are pre-conditioned this way, so when the monetary system does let go, we will have NOTHING left. It will all be destroyed.

Not to mention if this did happen in the U.S. think what would happen if the prison system
disintegrates and 2 million convicts are roaming the streets. Chaos and mayhem will be the order of the day. ^Y^
edit on 29-1-2011 by amari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by reatarded

I simply stated that Human life is more valuable than dead life.

I also agree

If they lose couple of historical monuments to gain freedom, then that is fine by me.

That treasure belongs to humanity and not just the Egyptians.

I find it odd that the Western media is showing more concern towards these artifacts, than the Egyptian people.

Whats wrong with reporting everything including this topic? As far as whats going on to your specific interests It's all over the media just look. Google it. ATS alone is spilling over with threads.
I'm sorry that argument doesn't hold water.

edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The police are absolutely looting. I'm not saying it's all police related but they have been seen 100%.

Did you also see that at the museum the citizen formed a human chain around it to protect it. The military was not there protecting it as had been reported and the citizens took it upon themselves to save it from further destruction. They do not want their culture broken, ruined, and forgotten about, anything else is a complete fallacy.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Whats wrong with reporting everything including this topic? As far as whats going on to your specific interests It's all over the media just look. Google it. ATS alone is spilling over with threads.
I'm sorry that argument doesn't hold water.

edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Obviously there are those who have biases, and they let it show through quite clearly here on ATS on a daily basis. We are supposed to look at every angle here, which most of here are doing, except zorgon trying to be so factual

This is definetly a shame, and a throwback to Alexandria just as was stated earlier.
Unfortunately, the generations of the future will have less tangible history because of acts like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

That treasure belongs to humanity and not just the Egyptians.

Yes I agree, but Egyptians are also humans, that is why I said, if Egyptians (humans) lose couple of artifacts in order to gain their freedom, then that's fine by me.

You can disagree all you want, that is why we are entitled to our own opinions.

Also

I agree there is nothing wrong in reporting this, but I'm not concerned about the reporting, rather concerned how some put more value towards these artifacts than Egyptian life (Egyptians are human therefore "Human Life").

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
We are supposed to look at every angle here, which most of here are doing, except zorgon trying to be so factual

This is definetly a shame..

AH well... I guess I forgot...

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Originally posted by SLAYER69
shhhh..
How dare you try to derail this thread with facts!

Et tu, Brute?

edit on 29-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Why don't you prove it then?

rather then just lunching an attack on Christianity

Let me re quote that quote

These Muslims are the same crew who burned the remainder of the Library at Alexandria. If it's not retarded, if it's not from the Qur'an, Muslims have a documented history of destroying other valuable archaeological items.

He is right about that.

edit on 30-1-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

These Muslims are the same crew who burned the remainder of the Library at Alexandria. If it's not retarded, if it's not from the Qur'an, Muslims have a documented history of destroying other valuable archaeological items.

He is right about that.

[[[sneaks into the room... slams heavy book on table]]]

The destruction of this priceless treasure was a stroke of the most unimaginable bad luck. If Byzantine Egypt had been taken by one of the later Islamic conquerors, this irreplaceable collection would have been counted amongst the finest of the spoils of war to fall into a victor's hands.

Early in the year A. D. 642, Alexandria surrendered to Amrou, the Islamic general leading the armies of Omar, Caliph of Baghdad. Long one of the most important cities of the ancient world and capital of Byzantine Egypt, Alexandria surrendered only after a long siege and attempts to rescue the city by the Byzantines. On the orders of Omar, Caliph of Baghdad, the entire collection of books (except for the works of Aristotle) stored at the Library of Alexandria were removed and used as fuel to heat water for the city's public baths.

This is not the first time the library was damaged or destroyed. Originally built to house the massive collection of books accumulated by the Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt, the library had been devastated by fire several times. During Julius Caesar's Alexandrian campaign in 47 B. C., Caesar set fire to ships in the port. The fire spread to the library, which was called the Museum at that time.

In A. D. 391, riots instigated by fanatical Christians damaged the collection heavily. During the years between disastrous events, the library collection had been gradually restored.

www.mediahistory.umn.edu...

The final individual to get blamed for the destruction is the Moslem Caliph Omar. In 640 AD the Moslems took the city of Alexandria. Upon learning of "a great library containing all the knowledge of the world" the conquering general supposedly asked Caliph Omar for instructions. The Caliph has been quoted as saying of the Library's holdings, "they will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous." So, allegedly, all the texts were destroyed by using them as tinder for the bathhouses of the city. Even then it was said to have taken six months to burn all the documents.

[[[slips out the back door]]]

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Why would they want to destroy their own history? It has nothing to do with their current government, so I don't understand why they would do something like this.

This is why, in general, I don't support riots or violent protests, they get out of control and hurt the original cause. There needs to be good organization and non violence for a protest to get their message across, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join