It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looters destroy mummies in Egyptian Museum: official

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Looters destroy mummies in Egyptian Museum: official

rawstory.com

CAIRO (Reuters) - Looters broke into the Egyptian Museum during anti-government protests late Friday and destroyed two Pharaonic mummies, Egypt's top archaeologist told state television.

The museum in central Cairo, which has the world's biggest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, is adjacent to the headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party that protesters had earlier set ablaze. Flames were seen still pouring out of the party headquarters early Saturday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They were worried the museum would catch on fire since the headquarters right next door was set on fire during the protests, but this is just heartbreaking. I am all for the Egyptians to have a less corrupt government and more freedoms but it is horrible to hear that priceless artifacts are now ruined. I think the average Egyptian (if not all) is infuriated over this. I hope they catch the vandals who did this, that is just inexcusable, what kind of monster would do such a thing? Hopefully the majority of the artifacts can be preserved.

rawstory.com

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm giving this thread a well deserved bump.

BUMP!

I hope they don't go on a rampage and destroy any other artifacts that belong to all of mankind!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

this kind of behavior is what separates the children
from the adults,.
Such a shame,.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No excuse for destroying something beyond our time.

Sure, stand up for what you believe, defy authority, save yourselves...

But to destroy your own history and culture?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This is what happens when the people don't have law. If you haven't noticed, and when I say you, yes, I mean you.... People are pigs. It doesn't matter what country it happens in. When it happens in the usa, the second the people are free to do whatever they want, every single shopping mall, grocery store, musuem, and whatever else, will be raided, looted, and destroyed. It's a fact. People will take advantage of it while there is no law. So to those of you that are heartbroken, how can you be? This is normal, and expected. This is what we are as a human race. Watch Zeitgeist. We are pre-conditioned this way, so when the monetary system does let go, we will have NOTHING left. It will all be destroyed.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Before blaming the protesters for this digusting act, check out the links showing that police were in plain clothes and causing a lot of mayhem to paint the protesters in a bad light..

Find and punish anyone who does this kind of thing, be they protesters or police...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Why the hell would anybody in their right mind destroy such a valuable and fantastic historical artifact?

You know, I would totally understand if they had stolen artifacts. I would not ever approve of it, but at least I would be able to understand the motivations behind it. Selling a 3000 year old piece of gold would make a nice amount of money, if sold to the right people.

But destroying it? Flat-out destroying it?
There is literally nothing to gain from that!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
This is what happens when the people don't have law. If you haven't noticed, and when I say you, yes, I mean you.... People are pigs. It doesn't matter what country it happens in. When it happens in the usa, the second the people are free to do whatever they want, every single shopping mall, grocery store, musuem, and whatever else, will be raided, looted, and destroyed. It's a fact. People will take advantage of it while there is no law. So to those of you that are heartbroken, how can you be? This is normal, and expected. This is what we are as a human race. Watch Zeitgeist. We are pre-conditioned this way, so when the monetary system does let go, we will have NOTHING left. It will all be destroyed.
Sorry,.
that is not my personality,.
I would not destroy something of such importance,.
I would not steal just because there is no law,.
survive ,. yes
there is a differance

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This threw me for a loop, I am sure they were well protected but to think someone, anyone would want to get revenge by destroying ancient artifacts, this is just beyond my comprehension. I know criminals loot, but why destroy? I don't get it.

edit on 29-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: Removed sentence

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
And THAT'S why the British and French took so many treasures from archaeological findings the past three centuries.

These Muslims are the same crew who burned the remainder of the Library at Alexandria.

If it's not retarded, if it's not from the Qur'an, Muslims have a documented history of destroying other valuable archaeological items.

Best thing to do is for Britain or someone go get the stuff.

Hell, these guys didn't even build the pyramids. Have been tearing them down for centuries though.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I heard an Egyptian woman on NPR discussing police lighting fires to try to pin it on the protesters. This wasn't inferred either, it is what the woman said. So I'm not taking the Egyptian govts word on any damage they say the protesters caused.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I heard an Egyptian woman on NPR discussing police lighting fires to try to pin it on the protesters. This wasn't inferred either, it is what the woman said. So I'm not taking the Egyptian govts word on any damage they say the protesters caused.

Yes, that's what I said..
MSM is even reporting it...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yeah I just saw your mention of it.
I wish more people were aware of these tactics. Canadian cops did the same thing at the g20 summit.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Human life is priceless, not dead life.

Egyptians are alive, their lives are priceless, who are being murdered by a fascist puppet who has been torturing them for over 2 decades.

The living people had enough, it seems dead bodies are respected more than living human beings in Egypt.

Down with oppression Mubarak.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

They were worried the museum would catch on fire since the headquarters right next door was set on fire during the protests, but this is just heartbreaking. I am all for the Egyptians to have a less corrupt government and more freedoms but it is horrible to hear that priceless artifacts are now ruined. I think the average Egyptian (if not all) is infuriated over this. I hope they catch the vandals who did this, that is just inexcusable, what kind of monster would do such a thing? Hopefully the majority of the artifacts can be preserved.

rawstory.com

LET THEM BURN!!! Egypt was a slave state just like us. I think its better to rid our earth of this crap. Blow up the pyramids, destroy all the artifacts. May sound ignorant but im ready to make a new beginning.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

rawstory.com

LET THEM BURN!!! Egypt was a slave state just like us. I think its better to rid our earth of this crap. Blow up the pyramids, destroy all the artifacts. May sound ignorant but im ready to make a new beginning. If we rid the idea that another human being can control another human being, this crap is less likely to happen. We have all been brain washed that these are priceless artifacts because "we can learn so much". Sure they are interesting, but its power from a old apressive state to bring a new apressive state.
edit on 29-1-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

You do realise Catholics have done the exact same thing for centuries, right? The Mayans are a very good example of that. Seems a pretty ridiculous statement to blame solely Muslims for destroying artifacts and the likes.

This is a disgusting event though- as others have said, what's to be gained by this?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

reply to post by reatarded

That sounds a lot like the kind of ignorant myopic simpleton actions that were behind the irreplaceable losses with the burning and destruction of the Library of Alexandria or China's Hanlin academy library during the Boxer Uprising ETC.

edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The focus here is off of what is important. In my opinion, those "artifacts" are okay with being sacrificed. The problem is the bodies of the Egyptians who were killed trying to dismantle something that they did not create or condone.

Moreover, if we want to truly discuss this we should discuss the countless artifacts that have been destroyed by military forces for decades. (ie Iraq)

Please do not assume that the artifacts were destroyed on purpose or with malicious intent.

I hope more information about this surfaces. I'd like to see the museums security camera footage. Wouldn't you?
edit on 29-1-2011 by K8sarvesbarkooh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join