It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looters destroy mummies in Egyptian Museum: official

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
Why would they want to destroy their own history? It has nothing to do with their current government, so I don't understand why they would do something like this.

Well if it is indeed the police doing it, and it appears that way, the purpose would be to create disgust from the outside world against the rebels that are getting blamed for it. Since Egypt PTB cut of cell phone and internet access to try to keep reports from getting out... I would say that would be a reason.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
And more on the police making a mess to make the protesters appear more of a societal concern.

www.stratfor.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
This will probably be buried under an avalanche of self-righteous condemnation, but it is worth pointing out that the museum was only broken into by 2 men, through the roof. Local citizens had formed militia to combat looting and, by and large, they stopped it. A couple of morons got in and caused a little bit of damage but it hasn't gone down well with most Egyptians.

Also, the Army has secured such sites as well and it seems that is all they are doing. They are not getting involved in these protests and, it seems, are not backing Mubarak.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Quick and easy way to demonize protesters: send goons to destroy cultural things of the nation.

Just sayin

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Actually it looks like the army have been fairly righteous. They are acting as the police should be.
To me this feels right. Cops apparently act like asses everywhere. Here is a video of the Egyptian army using armored vehicles to give protesters cover from the cops.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Inded, that's what I mean. The Army is going to decide which way the wind blows in Egypt and at the moment they are trying to stay neutral, which is a nail in the coffin for Mubarak as without them, his hold is tenuos at best.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Provocateurs in my opinion or an act by an outside group.

Seriously doubt Egyptians would do this unprovoked, if at all. They are protesting against corruption and a US puppet. Theyre not out to destroy their culture and heritage.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

Looters destroy mummies in Egyptian Museum: official

rawstory.com

CAIRO (Reuters) - Looters broke into the Egyptian Museum during anti-government protests late Friday and destroyed two Pharaonic mummies, Egypt's top archaeologist told state television.

The museum in central Cairo, which has the world's biggest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, is adjacent to the headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party that protesters had earlier set ablaze. Flames were seen still pouring out of the party headquarters early Saturday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Breaking my own rule here by not reading the whole thread before posting.

But this caught my eye because as soon as I heard about the troubles in Egypt I had a sick feeling in my stomach that it would cause loss and destruction to the antiquities ... and I felt that would include the pyramids.

I sincerely hope they are protecting them better than usual because if the source of civilization is lost because of 21st century man ... that would be beyond tragic.

Woody

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
You can bet money that as soon as Hawass knew this was going down he removed priceless artifacts and had them hidden where ever he keeps all his precious artifacts. He feels that all this stuff is personally his property. He is very powerful in Egypt as we all know and I am pretty sure he liked things just as they were. He being all powerful and in charge. This uprising could politically change his massive power over the antiquities and I am sure he would not like that at all. I am sure he put this out there to somehow show the people in a bad light and somehow slow or stop what is happening.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
And THAT'S why the British and French took so many treasures from archaeological findings the past three centuries.

These Muslims are the same crew who burned the remainder of the Library at Alexandria.

If it's not retarded, if it's not from the Qur'an, Muslims have a documented history of destroying other valuable archaeological items.

Best thing to do is for Britain or someone go get the stuff.

Hell, these guys didn't even build the pyramids. Have been tearing them down for centuries though.

Apologies in advance for my language but there is only one word to describe the content of your post sir/madam and that is 'bollocks' ...

It is inflamamatory and self-righteous comments like yours that add fuel to any fire ... whether political or racial ... as for your comment about getting 'Britain to get the stuff' (as you so quaintly put it) ... I have to ask ... do you know anything at all about British history ?

You seem somehow deluded by the thought that we were and continue to be fine upstanding citizens !!!

We British have persecuted more races and destroyed more countries (because we arrogantly assumed we knew best) than you could ever imagine in your wildest nightmares sugar. Don't get me wrong ... I love Britain ... we have some of the finest countryside and richest history in the world ... but let's not get all misty eyed about it and see ourselves as the saviours of the world because we are seriously not and never have been.

Might I suggest you dig a little deeper and discover the true history of Britain (and particularly England) and the real effects she has had on her fellow human beings, before you sound off with such naivety.

The lootings in Egypt are an abomination ... but that certainly does not mean we are any better equipped to deal with morons (whatever their nationality) thatn we would be were we in their place.

Woody

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
THESE ARE SET UP PLOYS OF DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY TO EXCUSE MILITARY USE ON THE PEOPLE.

they let out prisoners....just to start trouble so they can clamp down.

DID YOU NOTICE HOW THE DESCRIPTION OF PEOPLE WENT FROM BEING 'PROTESTORS'....TO 'VANDALS'...AFTER THE WEST GOT THE REFORMS THEY WANTED HMMMM.

BUT THEY WERE NOT MARCHING FOR REFORM...THEY WERE MARCHING AGAINST HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE US AND ISREAL....SEEING AS THE INSTIGATED THIS MARCH....CAN THEY NOW NIP IT IN THE BUD....SHORT ANSWER ...NO....LONG ANSWER...ISREAL NEED TO #E SOME BRICKS ME THINKS
edit on 30-1-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Honestl;y I dont think its any of the people who want change doing this. As with any incident of this type, you will have people willing to take advantage of it.

There is also speculation that this was intentionally done by Mubarik. Securiy forces kind of disappeared, which is the reason military units are now present. The speculation goes on, accusing mubarik of letting the prisoners out of jail to cause mayhem.

Theory behind it: To intimidate the people by placing them into what they hoped was a chaotic and dangerous setting, whereby the people would want security forces back in to keep the peace.

What happened instead (to thosegun control people, pay attention)? The people drecided the Govrnment was not adequately protecting the people, so instead of rolling over and letting secrity services quell the protests under the guise ofsecurity, people armed themselves, organized into neighborhood watches, nd have taken no offensive action against anyone, except to warn people who are not from the neighborhood that looting / theft etc will not be tolerated.

I find it intresting only the mummies were touched. Makes one wonder if it was vandals, or a carefully planned and executed action to give the appearance that "looters" were going nuts. Why just he mummys? Could it be that in the grand scheme of archeology they have been exrayed from top to bottom, and aside from the fact is a few thousand years old, a loss of a mummy would not have an adverse impact on human history.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
this is just a travesty i just dont understand the need for this looteing and destroyeing historical artifacts when its there own history and culture..I hope they catch whom ever did this..S&F for you on this thread..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
do we know what was stolen and destroyed? could be hawass getting rid of things that dont fit "his story". he was able to get an update out on his blog before they finaly brought down the last state sponsored internet provider.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This kind of stuff irritates me to no end, I fell in love with Egypt through it's history, everything from Ramses the Great, to Luxor and Abu Simbel, and even further down to the step pyramids. So sad, how peoples greed and selfish attitudes destroys hundreds of years of history for a bit of gold, and profit. And I hope the Egyptian Army can stop these people since it looks like they have taken over according to CNN www.cnn.com...

But who really knows until Egyptoloigist get in there after all this to see what kind of damage has been done. In particular with some of the new finds, like the temple in Cairo, and some of the underground chambers that have been uncovered.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Golithion because: DOH!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join