It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Video Games and Video Game Technology going to be used to control the public?

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Video Games, The Death Of Freedom.

Video games are becoming tools to brainwash and control the general population. With all of this new technology that is coming out with video games, one begins to question how good this could actually be for us individuals. The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) has already began creating “Serious Games” which coincide with different problem-solving situations. IARPA believes that these “Serious Games” will help to train humans in split second decision making as well as training the analyst to go against their bias. They believe that if a person is to have seen a situation a number of times and has become accustomed to that situation, in a video game, then they will be able to handle said situation a lot more effectively, in real life.
“Cognitive biases are unlikely to be completely eliminated, but research suggests that they may be mitigated by awareness, collaboration, and critical or procedural thinking processes.” (www.iarpa.gov...)
So it is true that they are using, or at least going to be attempting to use, video games as a way to train humans. This could be a great thing in any high stress job, you see multiple situations multiple times and learn how to react to different things in each situation, therefore you will know what to expect in a good majority of your real life situations. Which in turn would definitely relieve tension and stress, simplifying jobs, lightening workloads, having more quality assurance. Which has got to make me wonder what does the government have in mind with this technology.
The gaming consoles that are out these days all have motion capture, and they read and react to the way that your body is moving. That is a lot of data to be taken in, especially with the facial recognition software. The chances are extremely high that the government is using this technology to spy into the everyday home lives of unsuspecting people. Now does this mean that everyday people should be worried and the answer seems to be only if something illegal is taking place. The local police forces are not going to be hooked up to these devices and going around busting people for petty crimes, of course that time may come, but for now the highest possibility would be the high up more secretive government agencies, looking for most wanted criminals, plans to terrorize the country, dangers to society, and other major that may be in discrepancy. Also with the voice recognition the Kinects are likely to be hooked up to a voice database that could be used as evidence or leads to put away and/or find suspects of various crimes.
The technology that is available to the general populous is a good 20 years behind what the government is working on. It would not be surprising to learn that there was already “spy material” in other electronic devices such as, cameras, computers, televisions, mobile phones are a huge possibility. Being watched by the government is an extreme threat, they have access to any information that they need, and now with these new facial recognition and voice recognition video game consoles the government can access that information, which comes to mean that even in ones own home they are being watched, recorded, or just at risk for either. How can the government put this kind of access and power to work without finding ways to control the public with it?




posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm hella ready for a zombie invasion you can count on that



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The only thing i have learnt is never sneak up on a bunch of Nazi's with an empty clip



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz
 


boy must of forgot about his nazi slaying knife come on now



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How can the government put this kind of access and power to work without finding ways to control the public with it?


In a few words.... they cannot. They will find a way to use it to their benefit and indeed they already have, at least in terms of their recruiting practices

It's a Video Game, and an Army Recruiter



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I can attest that experiencing these situations in video games will either desensitize you to them or make you more accustom to keeping your wits while experienceing them (or both). As an example I recently purchased a 400 hp high performance car. I have never owned a rear drive v8. Oddly enough I was powersliding, countersteering and handling the car like I have been driving it for years. It then occured to me, I have been driving this car for years..... On my ps3. I do feel using these games for simulation purposes is a great way to train people for any profession or hobby with the gaurantee of no real world damage or injury. However I feel these devices CAN NOT be used for "mind manipulation". The simple fact is they offer to many different ways to handle the same situation. They accually encourage the user to activly asses situations and make split second decisions (different to each user). I think video games or simuators are only going to help us going forward. I know race drivers use them so does NASA. I feel they offer great alternative methods of training and decision making, quite the opposite of mind control.



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GamesKillFreedom
 


my grandmother once explained to me how similarization through association works, as well.



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's goes beyond the point of just the video games training. The definitely make you more accustomed to situations. But the fact of the matter that the government does have such easy access to now even facial and voice recognition our privacy is at risk in the one place where we should feel alone and safe, in our own homes. Just another way for the man to pull at our strings and move us in the way that they want. And should we step out of line in any way they now will be able to recognize our faces be able to recognize who we are with our phone conversations



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GamesKillFreedom
 


Gaming is an extension of television.

Television was an extension of moving pictures.

Movies were and extension of radio.

Radio was an extension of mass.

Mass was always psychic and spiritual siphon.

Control is yours to offer to someone else or to retain.



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
No, no, no OP...no way.

I bring my COD: Black Ops example. That is in NO WAY even remotely similar in any way to real combat. As an OIF Vet and an avid Black Ops player I can say that. Not even close. Please stop with this...you must be one of those video game haters.

With all due respect OP, please stop the insanity!! LoL



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
No, no, no OP...no way.

I bring my COD: Black Ops example. That is in NO WAY even remotely similar in any way to real combat. As an OIF Vet and an avid Black Ops player I can say that. Not even close. Please stop with this...you must be one of those video game haters.

With all due respect OP, please stop the insanity!! LoL


LoL - true, I was always looking for the X to reload on my M4 but never found it...likewise I think the Y to jump button on me was out of order as well because I seemed to have a vertical jump of a little over a credit card in full rattle.

The knife button worked only to open MREs and switching from night vision to IR and back was more disorienting irl.

I also never seemed to get sand in every orifice while playing COD; however, the real experience was different.

Oh, and my buddies didn't seem to have more than one life to give in a "round" and getting shot once was way more than enough to turn my screen “red” around the edges.

I would have appreciated the “hey look the fire is coming from X direction” feature as really it’s a lot harder to tell where the bad guys are when you are hiding behind something than it would seem.



posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Ok everyone stop using call of duty black ops as an example please do us all the favor. You're not going to learn actual battle techniques from COD. What is being said here is the fact that there are already "video games" that are being used to help acclimate people to different situations and with the new motion recognizing controls ones body motions also become part of that second nature. Now am I saying that the video games we play every day are for control of us no. I thought we had open minded people here. What I am saying is that as these video games evolve the potential for them to be used against us is in fact much greater.



posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GamesKillFreedomOk everyone stop using call of duty black ops as an example please do us all the favor. You're not going to learn actual battle techniques from COD.


I for one was just having a laugh at the folks who think COD and Black OPs are like real combat; I understand what you are saying...

I also agree to a certain extent that video games can and are (in the case of battle simulation centers and fire/no fire simulation programs) being used to train both LEO's and Soldiers how to react in combat. I also think that is a good thing since a thousand mistakes in training will make you better in the one instance you really need it in war.

I would disagree that there is a concerted, hidden and well thought out plot between the video game companies and TPTB to inundate our minds with images and situations to placate or control us.

I think they are just making what sells now; sex and violence - period.

Now, if you want to talk about manipulation and placating the public MMOs are the way to go. I broke my neck and was going stir crazy at home recovering and joined WOW - I go totally absorbed in it to the exclusion of things that really mattered. They, like other MMO's do have a plan in place and study how to make you addicted to the game by a system of steady challenges and rewards timed just right to keep you on the hook.

That really is just a new version of advertising and marketing IMO and a dangerous road. However, one can kick any habit I suppose if his heart is in it.



posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You guys mention cod black ops . Have you seen all the conspiracy related content in that game ?
during a loading screen i saw a list of secret societies , Illuminati etc . Is it not a good thing people not aware of the nwo can maybe get into researching it because its mentioned in cod ???????
How many copies has blk ops sold ? yh you know where im going .

Remember guys a lot of game developers are around our age and some of them believe in conspiracy theories .
Not all videogames are bad . some can EDUCATE people !!!!!!!!

ps assassins creed is BASED on conspiracy theories , ie the Knights Templar .



posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Stop using Black Ops as an example?

Ok, please enlighten me/us as to which other video games to which you are referring.

Assassins Creed is based on conspiracy theory, yes. Hence it that is why it considered a work of fiction. Fantasy.
I am actually playing the third one now. End of the second one was pretty wild stuff.

There is no way any video game can desensitize you to anything because it is pictures on your TV screen. That is like the nut jobs that say video games induce violence. Just because I can carjack someone, get a hooker an have my way with her, then kill her for the money like you would do in any Grand Theft Auto game does not mean I am going to do it in real life. Parenting is lacking these days an parents will find any excuse to take the blame off themselves.

If you cannot teach your child the difference between real and fiction, then perhaps the problem lies in you...not your child. Perhaps if you took the time to parent your child correctly, then they would not need to be taken to a doctor and put on numerous meds to control their behavior. I guess it's just easier to blame someone else.

I digress, sorry about the little rant there.



posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
conspiracy theory, yes. Hence it that is why it considered a work of fiction. Fantasy.

Are you saying that the knights templar never exsisted or that conspiracy theories are fantasy ?
was operation 40 the 1st mission in blk ops fantasy as well ? sorry i'm not sure of your point .



posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGhostViking
conspiracy theory, yes. Hence it that is why it considered a work of fiction. Fantasy.

Are you saying that the knights templar never exsisted or that conspiracy theories are fantasy ?
was operation 40 the 1st mission in blk ops fantasy as well ? sorry i'm not sure of your point .


Not saying that the Knights Templar were fiction. We know they were real.
Not saying conspiracy theories are fantasy...well most are but some are legit.

I am just saying that video games may have some basis on history or reality, are just works of fiction. They are highly embellished for entertainment purposes. Key operating word there is "entertainment".

By your logic the end of Assassins Creed 2 is completely 100% truth.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GamesKillFreedom
Video Games, The Death Of Freedom.

Video games are becoming tools to brainwash and control the general population. With all of this new technology that is coming out with video games, one begins to question how good this could actually be for us individuals. The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) has already began creating “Serious Games” which coincide with different problem-solving situations. IARPA believes that these “Serious Games” will help to train humans in split second decision making as well as training the analyst to go against their bias. They believe that if a person is to have seen a situation a number of times and has become accustomed to that situation, in a video game, then they will be able to handle said situation a lot more effectively, in real life.
“Cognitive biases are unlikely to be completely eliminated, but research suggests that they may be mitigated by awareness, collaboration, and critical or procedural thinking processes.” (www.iarpa.gov...)
So it is true that they are using, or at least going to be attempting to use, video games as a way to train humans. This could be a great thing in any high stress job, you see multiple situations multiple times and learn how to react to different things in each situation, therefore you will know what to expect in a good majority of your real life situations. Which in turn would definitely relieve tension and stress, simplifying jobs, lightening workloads, having more quality assurance. Which has got to make me wonder what does the government have in mind with this technology.
The gaming consoles that are out these days all have motion capture, and they read and react to the way that your body is moving. That is a lot of data to be taken in, especially with the facial recognition software. The chances are extremely high that the government is using this technology to spy into the everyday home lives of unsuspecting people. Now does this mean that everyday people should be worried and the answer seems to be only if something illegal is taking place. The local police forces are not going to be hooked up to these devices and going around busting people for petty crimes, of course that time may come, but for now the highest possibility would be the high up more secretive government agencies, looking for most wanted criminals, plans to terrorize the country, dangers to society, and other major that may be in discrepancy. Also with the voice recognition the Kinects are likely to be hooked up to a voice database that could be used as evidence or leads to put away and/or find suspects of various crimes.
The technology that is available to the general populous is a good 20 years behind what the government is working on. It would not be surprising to learn that there was already “spy material” in other electronic devices such as, cameras, computers, televisions, mobile phones are a huge possibility. Being watched by the government is an extreme threat, they have access to any information that they need, and now with these new facial recognition and voice recognition video game consoles the government can access that information, which comes to mean that even in ones own home they are being watched, recorded, or just at risk for either. How can the government put this kind of access and power to work without finding ways to control the public with it?


So how is cointelpro doing these days? Pay well I hear. Demonizing video games? What agenda are you trying to push now?



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Interesting. Here's some fuel for your fire. I grew up playing foosball in the early/ mid 70s. I'm not sure if it if it was when Pong (the first "video game" I ever saw) or Space Invaders (the second) came out, but the story at that time was that these originated in the military and it was used in some kind of military training. I didn't think anything about it in the mid 80s, when my then boyfriend; who was a software engineer in Austin, talked about them playing with some flight simulator thing on their computers after work, understanding by then that video games were computer generated.
A few years ago, there was a controversy about a group of dispensationalist "endtimers" in the military putting out a video (I think under the auspices of a "free gift" kinda thing) to troops that depicted people on the streets of NY city being converted literally at the barrel of a gun and getting killed if they refused.



posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
No, no, no OP...no way.

I bring my COD: Black Ops example. That is in NO WAY even remotely similar in any way to real combat. As an OIF Vet and an avid Black Ops player I can say that. Not even close. Please stop with this...you must be one of those video game haters.

With all due respect OP, please stop the insanity!! LoL


Wtf are you talking about? Lies! COD is totally real dude! You really can rambo through enemy fire and get shot 9 times and still survive. Medics really do heal you in 2 seconds. Guns cannot misfire either. You can do anything you want and not get court marshalled. Guns actually do have 3-4 million bullets per clip. Guns don't overheat either.




top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join