It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now Jordan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Day before yesterday, I made a post that predicted the protest wave was unlikely to hit Jordan.

I was wrong.

Thousands of people in Jordan have taken to the streets in protests, demanding the country's prime minister step down, and the government curb rising prices, inflation and unemployment.

In the third consecutive Friday of protests, about 3,500 opposition activists from Jordan's main Islamist opposition group, trade unions and leftist organisations gathered in the capital, waving colourful banners reading: "Send the corrupt guys to court".

The crowd denounced Samir Rifai's, the prime minister, and his unpopular policies.

Many shouted: "Rifai go away, prices are on fire and so are the Jordanians.'' Another 2,500 people also took to the streets in six other cities across the country after the noon prayers. Those protests also called for Rifai's ouster.

Source: Al-Jazeera

Well... That's it, then. The whole region is going to go through this. Hold on to your asses, folks, it's not going to stop.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I wonder how many other countries will go through this? I wonder if the USA will ever have protests. I know Canada had the G20 protests. I really don't want to see the USA have voilence but I think it is time for everyone in every country to say ENOUGH!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The %#@! is hitting the fan.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

My big question is where does this end? Will this consume every middle eastern country and stop there, or will it continue to spread into the western countries as well? It is crazy that all the sudden these countries are rioting in unison.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I hope Belarus is next.

I really dislike having a neighboring country with an insane paranoid dictator as it's leader.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

My big question is where does this end? Will this consume every middle eastern country and stop there, or will it continue to spread into the western countries as well? It is crazy that all the sudden these countries are rioting in unison.

Bit of a flippant comment, but didn't someone say what ever it is that it'll effect humans next
and low, this mass uprising kicks off... and nations thought to be under-control/stable in their authoritarian regimes are falling...

back on topic, I am unsure how deeply this will effect Jordan (for now) as the King and Queen (from my understanding) are generally very well liked by the Jordanian people.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is so awesome.

I love Freedom.

Apparently the people in the Middle East want a taste of it too!

Good for them.

I am rooting for them!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

I think you were correct about the domino effect my friend this is the second domino...who will be the third??

Crazy last few days!!

StrangeyD

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeyD

Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, are just the first.

Europe will be next, Spain, Purtegal, Greece, Italy, Fance, all are already on the cusp. and then the US. 16% true unemployment, 5 dollar a gallon gas, food, heating oil, electricity prices doubling, and benefit programs being cut, this all points to riots in the US.

The damage such inflation will do to our precarious economy, combined with the current animosity and deep division of the American politic, lead me to believe that the US riots in major cities, are inevitable.

If you haven’t started stocking up, now is the time.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phedreus

oooooh, I hope our government doesn't get scared and start trying to oppress us even more thinking we are gonna do what they are doing. Even though we are, but it would make things easier

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
IMHO Im not going to get to worried over this until if/when it reaches Pakistan then thats when Im going to grab my B.O.B. and hang on for dear life. Like I said if or when?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Sure i mean pakistan has nukes so ye id start to worry a bit more if the protests reach there and reach the escalation levels they are getting to now, If it gets to that im sure the UN will no longer sit back and watch and will be baited into doing something to save face on the international scene.

StrangeyD

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

There has been some demonstrating in Saudi Arabia in the past couple of days too.....the King was supposed to fly back to Saudi Arabia from Britain after hospitalization and ended up going to Morocco instead.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phedreus
reply to post by StrangeyD

Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, are just the first.

Europe will be next, Spain, Purtegal, Greece, Italy, Fance, all are already on the cusp. and then the US. 16% true unemployment, 5 dollar a gallon gas, food, heating oil, electricity prices doubling, and benefit programs being cut, this all points to riots in the US.

The damage such inflation will do to our precarious economy, combined with the current animosity and deep division of the American politic, lead me to believe that the US riots in major cities, are inevitable.

If you haven’t started stocking up, now is the time.

It's been brewing in continental Europe for years. Look at last years rioting

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Who would have thunk it?..

Do you see this getting out of hand as it did in Egypt? Seems like they've all the same problems and reasons to do so..

Is Syria up next?

Interesting times indeed.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

I only wish Syria is next.....

here, you can watch Cairo now on Al Jazeera live stream:

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Syria's internet shut down past 24 hours or so

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Define "out of hand." I don't think that the Jordanian authorities will crack heads as hard as the Egyptians did. In fact the King may even dismiss the Prime Minister just to keep things quiet. Hard to tell, now that things are going.

Syria? Assad's a bastard, but he's a smart bastard. I think any protest in Syria will either get nipped in the bud or coopted. Or even acquiesced to. Regardless, the government there isn't going to topple. Baath is hardly the puppet regime seen elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
I hope Belarus is next.

not yet
but Albania has started

english.aljazeera.net...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join