It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Brutal Video Games I've Ever Seen

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I personally believe my generation are the proof video games don't have an effect on the majority of people,

I actually remember re-enacting Mortal kombat as a kid in the play ground with other kids when I must of been about 6 or 7, we also re-enacted From Dusk Till Dawn, arguing over who would be the guy who has a gun for a penis, ahah

I always new the line between reality and fiction, I may of pretended to throw an imaginary spear across the play ground while doing my best scorpion voice "GET OVER HERE"
but I always knew intrinsically never to even throw a pencil at someone cos that just a'int nice.

Also my googlefu isn't to good but I sure if someone could find the sales figures for Mortal Kombat which I imagine are in there millions globally, and correlate each sold copy to an act of violence in a household I'm sure the figures would speak for themselves

FINISH HIM

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Parents that buy their kids violent video games and then complain are stupid schmucks that don't deserve to have children.

It's true. I'm sure a lot of these kids grow up to go into the military as well, thinking it's some kind of real-life video game. That's why soldiers go nuts and kill innocent people sometimes.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by oooGIPPERooo

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Jazzyguy

if the parent bought the video game then why do you believe they should be banned? oh that's right, you're just mad because the child gets to take a dump on your "no M-rated games" rule. if they are banned then you win, right? besides there is no more violence depicted in video games that you couldn't find in television, movies, internet, smartphones, etc. violence is everywhere. a lot of things can end up in a child's hands, and the parent should ALWAYS be there to take it away if necessary.

If you have read my posts a bit more carefully, you would see I make mention of movies and other violent media, not just games.

Originally posted by oooGIPPERooo

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Dendro

well I didn't read the whole thread because I was so ready to rant on your first post lol. as I read along I felt the need to post again. I'm going to go ahead and be the asso and say that all your theories of video games stems from your anger that the mother lets the boy play these "ever so violent" video games and telling him that he doesn't have to listen to you. If this weren't true then you would be attacking ALL sources that are corrupting children. If you had it your way and the child couldn't play the violent games, you would have more than likely dropped the situation.

Again, I mentioned more than one source of violence. How can you say ALL my theories stem from this exact situation? Yes, I have used this an example but it doesn't mean my entire view stems from ONLY that situation. I had a negative view of kids being exposed to violent media way before I had children/stepchildren. I naturally used a point of reference based on my personal experience. Isn't personal experience how we learn? Wouldn't it make sense that one would be inclined to use a personal experience as a point of reference?

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by daryllyn

The only people at fault here are the parents who forget that their children hang on to every word they say, even if they act like they are not listening, and that your mood and reactions to situations have a more immediate impact to their disposition.

I've had the benefit of psychology classes from field professionals. You sound like a Googler.

edit on 29-1-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

Its nice that you assume I am an uneducated googler that talks crap about my stepson's mom in his presence, just from reading my replies to the thread. How awesome are you? You must be so seriously awesome that I probably can't even wrap my uneducated, googling mind around it. I can see by your post count that you are a noob, I am betting I can make some assumptions based on that and I am betting you would enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed the assumptions you have made about me.

Just so we are clear, I have also had the benefit of psychology classes as well as many others and I have always made a point to not say anything negative about his mom while he is present. My parents didn't feel the need to refrain from talking smack about each other when I was his age and I remember how much I hated it. This is another personal experience being used as a point of reference.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well, if you've taken the courses than you should've walked away with the basic understanding that Correlation IS NOT Causation.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I mentioned several times that everything I said was my opinion. I wasn't offering anything as proof or evidence. If I had, you would have seen sources posted.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Books can be violent and sexual, maybe we should ban them too?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
obviously you havent seen Dead space 1 and 2,and nope. they shouldnt be banned, these are just games, Im leaving to kill some necromorphs xD

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm going to ask this in the nicest way possible, how old was the child when you became the step-mother. If the child doesn't recognize you as a parent and will not treat you as such. This happened with my brother and my dad so I know what I'm talking about. The father needs to step in and lay down the rules if the child's habits bother you, or the father needs to talk to the mother if the habits bother you. My father tried to hard to be the disciplinarian to my brother and my brother just didn't listen and rebelled.
edit on 1/29/2011 by denynothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

And I've seen some really violent ones such as thrill kill and mad world, but this one just takes the cake. Let's just say I react to this video more than to american horror movies.

My question is do you think this kind of video games should be banned or not? I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

Have you played manhunt or grand theft auto?

What about left for dead or resident evil?

Doom?

Yeah there are more disturbing games out there. Like Leisure suit larry and any barbie game.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Allis1

Oh man. If I met some guy with a revolver on his [snip]. So sad he had to die though.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It always annoys me to hear people going to PC over violent games, movies, media etc

I grew up exposed to it all, from a young age I was allowed to play violent video games like Mortal Kombat and watch horror movies.

I was also exposed to martial arts movies and wrestling and grew up idolizing bruce lee and the rock

Now im 21 years old, watch violent combat sports like MMA, Boxing and Kickboxing religiously, whilst enjoying horror movies and video games for how blatantly over the top the violence and gore is in these types of media

Truth of the matter is, if the child can not deal with it and distinguish between reality and a form of media, then the parents need to intervene. Just because a parent is upset or offended does not mean they should spoil the party for the rest of us.

Video Games do not make people blood thirsty or savage beasts, the environment around them and possible mental and emotional problems do how ever.

If anything, Video Games and other forms of media can be benefital to people with anger problems in my opinion, because at the end of the day when ive been frustrated and angered, theres only two things I want to do: Train hard at the gym and then go home to blow off some video game heads off

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If anyone is interested, here is a link of an episode of "Penn & Teller's Bull#%^&" based on violent video games.

www.megavideo.com...

edit on 30-1-2011 by Dendro because: TV show title

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Interesting to a degree, I couldn't watch more than half though, with that amount of needless swearing and ridiculing the people its not for me

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Allis1

Yeah, the profanity tends to turn a lot of people away but they explain why they do so in the first episode. They are less likely to be sued for calling someone an @##hole or that they are bull#$%& than to call them a liar or a fraud.

If you are willing, go back to the episode and let it stream until its all loaded, and just go to the end part where you see what happens when nine year old FPS fan Harrison gets the opportunity to fire a real gun.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
If anyone is interested, here is a link of an episode of "Penn & Teller's Bull#%^&" based on violent video games.

www.megavideo.com...

edit on 30-1-2011 by Dendro because: TV show title

I was wondering when somebody was gonna mention that. I was so gonna post it if somebody else hadn't before me. I mean I swear this is a ridiculous arguement. If parents can't take the responsibility of doing what's best for their child.

Why do any of us have to suffer for their irresponsibility? Like heck I'd give up Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Monster Madness: Battle for Surburbia, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, and other titles. Just because an adult can't control their child.

What a world we're coming to.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I checked out those last 5 minuets, and it does offer a kind of proof that most of us gamers know already,

I don't really understand why these groups want to scape goat video games in the first place,

why not go after paintballers or fox hunters, something that's closer to mimicking actual violence

At the end of the end if it came down to a democratic vote, people against violent games vs say 15 million Call of Duty players it's obvious who's going to win,

Could someone who's against violence in video games tell me how you feel about this statistic?

Does it make you feel scared/sick/worried/ashamed? knowing there's this many people out there playing these things, enlighten me as to your thoughts and feelings

Peace

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join