It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Brutal Video Games I've Ever Seen

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

does the O.P. video promote violence?

or does it show the results of violence thus putting people off and making them think twice before being violent?

i reckon everybody will see it differently and react to it differently.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can tell him that he shouldn't be playing games that he isn't old enough to buy, but coming from a person that he doesn't respect.. it doesn't mean much to him. I could talk to him until I am blue in the face and it wouldn't matter. I could be just as productive talking to a wall. Sad as that is.

Parents should be more responsible, I agree with that. But since they won't, are we supposed to just let it slide? Just let it go and hope for the best?

The kids being desensitized to violence via violent video games/movies are our future police, military, doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, politicians, etc.. Which is why I think the issue demands attention.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's video game playing parade.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

The point is not him playing the games at his friends' houses. When he is here, he doesn't go see his friends because he is here to see his Dad on visitation. His mother has no rules or regulations on what he does whether he is at her house or a friends house. That is the problem.

I am not saying we should "just take away all the games from everyone because people are ignorant". I am not trying to come off like that, I am obviously failing miserably in that regard.

Other's arguments are: we cannot ban games because parents aren't being responsible.

My argument is: we cannot just sit back and NOT do anything either. Being constantly bombarded by violence is not healthy. It might not affect you personally but you can be sure that it affects the mind of a child.

Remember the old adage "it takes a village to raise a child"? It still applies today. Children are everyone's responsibility. They are our future so we should be taking care of them in every way we can.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Duke Nukem 3D started it all! Violence + Nudity + Killing Aliens!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Oh my gosh, finally someone is backing up what I am trying to get at here.

Star for you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

one of my fav games of all time.....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by mr10k

Then that is the kid's mother's fault, not the video games or their creators. Why should we, society, be responsible for raising someone elses kid? Why should we be deprived of something just because a parent is too lazy to read an ESRB rating?

I will reiterate. Again.

Because WE as a society are responsible for the welfare of ALL children because they are the future. They are YOUR future. It takes a village to raise a child

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by mr10k

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can tell him that he shouldn't be playing games that he isn't old enough to buy, but coming from a person that he doesn't respect.. it doesn't mean much to him. I could talk to him until I am blue in the face and it wouldn't matter. I could be just as productive talking to a wall. Sad as that is.

Parents should be more responsible, I agree with that. But since they won't, are we supposed to just let it slide? Just let it go and hope for the best?

The kids being desensitized to violence via violent video games/movies are our future police, military, doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, politicians, etc.. Which is why I think the issue demands attention.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's video game playing parade.

Not to be an Ahole or anything but if your kid doesn't respect you, then you are the one that failed in parenting....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Why are we still having this argument? Games are rated. It is the SOLE responsibility of the parent. Why is that concept so freaking hard for some of you wowsers to understand? Get a clue FFS! You are both physically and intellectually LAZY. It's becoming obvious that some of you people should have never have reproduced because you're just going to pass that stupidity gene onto your children.

IRM

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

He isn't mine. If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that I said he was my step son. His mom doesn't like me and tells him that he doesn't have to listen to me or the rules I have in place. I have tried for over four years to get through to him, but it doesn't do a whole of good when his mom does nothing but tell him that it is okay for him to treat me like crap and that he doesn't have to follow my rules.

So, I am doing the best I can with what I have been given. Its a constant struggle. His dad backs me up and it helps but only lasts until he goes home again. Just as I can't control what games he is playing in his mother's home, I also cannot control the crap she fills his head with.

So if that means that I have "failed" at parenting, then whatever. I am doing what I can. I am sorry that it is not enough for you.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I take great offense to what you are implying, and despite whichever way you are trying to spin it, you are still redundant in your argument. Your real issue isn't with the game but with the BIOLOGICAL mother of your STEP-son not curtailing your standard of propriety.

As for your argument of not knowing how the children who grow up with violent video games will turn out, I am one of many. I was 7 when Mortal Kombat III was released onto SNES with its gore, lo and behold, I am not desensitized nor do I feel any impulse to commit any dangerous or violent acts because of it.

You know why?

My Mom. She would often have sit-down discussions with my brother and I about the video games we were playing and the things she found inappropriate about it, making it very clear to us that there was a difference between reality and fantasy.

Violent video games did not turn my brother and I into disturbed children OR adults. My brother is working towards being a park ranger to protect animals and I am in the middle of my degree for archaeology/anthropology to study the migration patterns of prehistoric humans.

Desensitized? Definitely not.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

You can think whatever you want. You will, anyway, regardless of what I say.

My issue with him and the games is that it IS affecting him adversely, he is using violent terms he shouldn't, he can identify a ton of weapons that shouldn't really know much about, and he gets it from video games. I am seeing it affect a child firsthand despite my best effort to put a stop to it.

Regardless of what you think, violent images do affect children in an adverse way. It really doesn't matter who is at fault. Ooooo, so you played one of the first violent games that came out, and you are okay. How nice for you. My point is that the games now are far more violent, and far more realistic, more widely available, with much more of a selection. Its a whole different scene than it was when you were a kid.

My MAIN issue is that ratings are not enough because parents aren't following them, resulting in kids having violence thrown in their faces.

I love how everyone jumps all over someone that just doesn't agree with their view.

I am obviously getting nowhere, no one seems to get what I am saying and everything I am saying is being taken the wrong way.

So yea, I'm out.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

What is the more likely scenario?

1) A kid acting out because of violence in video games/movies/television?

OR

2) A kid acting out because his parents have gone through a divorce, his father has remarried or is with someone new, and that there is obvious animosity between all the ADULTS involved with little-to-none regard of how sensitive the child is to the moods and comments offhandedly made by said adults?

If I was a gambler, my money would always be on number 2.

The only people at fault here are the parents who forget that their children hang on to every word they say, even if they act like they are not listening, and that your mood and reactions to situations have a more immediate impact to their disposition.

I've had the benefit of psychology classes from field professionals. You sound like a Googler.

edit on 29-1-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
No, don't ban it.
If someone don't like it then don't buy it.

If you object, don't let your kids buy it.

If like the one person said that they play it at the mother's house then that is a communication between 2 adults that needs working on somehow.

If you don't like the radio station change the channel.....

Same goes for a TV station.

It annoys the hell out of me when somebody complains about a certain show like Howard Stern or something..
JUST TURN THE DAMN SHOW OFF! end of problem

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Banned??? Do you work for the government?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Jazzyguy

I think that there is no reason people need to be repeatedly bombarded with violent images, especially kids.

My 8 year old step son plays very violent videos games at his mother's house and I hate it. He can tell you the name of pretty much any gun and I think that is ridiculous. His mom thinks it is "not a big deal" because it is "not real". I beg to differ. I think that the repetitive violent images are not good for the psychiatric health of a child, or anyone for that matter.

Anything that is excessively violent should not be available to anyone because often times, as sad as it is, ends up in the hands of a child. There is no reason for that, in my opinion.

if the parent bought the video game then why do you believe they should be banned? oh that's right, you're just mad because the child gets to take a dump on your "no M-rated games" rule. if they are banned then you win, right? besides there is no more violence depicted in video games that you couldn't find in television, movies, internet, smartphones, etc. violence is everywhere. a lot of things can end up in a child's hands, and the parent should ALWAYS be there to take it away if necessary.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Dendro

You can think whatever you want. You will, anyway, regardless of what I say.

My issue with him and the games is that it IS affecting him adversely, he is using violent terms he shouldn't, he can identify a ton of weapons that shouldn't really know much about, and he gets it from video games. I am seeing it affect a child firsthand despite my best effort to put a stop to it.

Regardless of what you think, violent images do affect children in an adverse way. It really doesn't matter who is at fault. Ooooo, so you played one of the first violent games that came out, and you are okay. How nice for you. My point is that the games now are far more violent, and far more realistic, more widely available, with much more of a selection. Its a whole different scene than it was when you were a kid.

My MAIN issue is that ratings are not enough because parents aren't following them, resulting in kids having violence thrown in their faces.

I love how everyone jumps all over someone that just doesn't agree with their view.

I am obviously getting nowhere, no one seems to get what I am saying and everything I am saying is being taken the wrong way.

So yea, I'm out.

well I didn't read the whole thread because I was so ready to rant on your first post lol. as I read along I felt the need to post again. I'm going to go ahead and be the asso and say that all your theories of video games stems from your anger that the mother lets the boy play these "ever so violent" video games and telling him that he doesn't have to listen to you. If this weren't true then you would be attacking ALL sources that are corrupting children. If you had it your way and the child couldn't play the violent games, you would have more than likely dropped the situation.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think you need to stop and realize what you are suggesting........you are wanting to chip away at the rights of individuals and your own by a ban. What if someone finds carebears offensive and a ban is put in place..... u like them and can't figure out why it is offensive but your rights have been taken away!!! Would you be mad? Hell yeah you would if you like carebears. Just because you find something offensive doesn't mean anyone shares your opinion. Don't be the guy who screws it up for everyone please. For example the "statue of david", he is nude and he is art but would you want to tear down a priceless work of art that people come from all over the world to see just because you don't like the way it makes you feel because if a stony penis? Techinically the videogame is art and its cg drawn.....screw it we don;t need rights just put us in a white room with padded walls and only feed us pureed food and our brain would go numb from all the stimuli! God forbid if a work of art makes you scared. Art is supposed to invoke emotion and thought. People have a right to see and hear and form their own opinions. If those basic rights are taken away in any shape or form them we may as well be a hamster on a wheel. endure forte

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
meh...I thought Black Ops was way more visceral! They even had a Deer Hunter scene play out and you gash peoples throats open in Vietnam! Super violent, but one hell of a story and a great sense of immersion...just like would expect from a MOVIE, MOVIES, GOING TO A MOVIE, DID YOU SEE THE MOVIE?

MOVE along...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
That's just mortal combat lol they shoude have banded that years ago!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join