It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Mother Jailed For Sending Kids To White School District

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I do not see this as a racist act, she falsified court records to show the children lived in different district and she was punished.

I can't fault her for doing everything she could to get her kids a better education and a safer environment. I believe she is a good mother for doing all she could to do the best for her children. However, the fact remains that she did break the law, she was caught, and she must face punishment for that action.

Perhaps, it will draw attention to her actual school district and it will be improved. As to why the school district hired a private investigator I do not know. When I went to public school we had "tuition" students who lived out of district and paid $2000/year to attend our school. My senior year they got rid of this, and no longer accepted tuition students, those that had already begun could finish but there were to be no new admissions because our town's population had grown to a level where there were not any more openings without hiring new teachers and expanding the physical school. I remember hearing of people getting caught, and they would be immediately expelled.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I think your prejudice is showing. This has nothing to do with race, it has to do with crime. Nobama has no business in the affairs of the individual. You people really think he is some kind of savior. I assure you he is no savior. Jesse Jackson is an idiot. Quit pulling the race card.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I would totally do this. Any and every day of the week, for every single day of my life.

And then I would look for a civil liberties lawyer to take it to the Supremes to prove my point if they went after me for it.

Believe it.

And I did find a way. Because while my area is pretty nice, the worst ranked school in my province is literally .5 block away for my children. And they don't go to it. And I never intend on sending my children to the school with the broken glass playground. Ever. That's a choice on the part of the teachers and the administration of the school and that choice means my children attend elsewhere.
edit on 2011/1/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Took the "white school" two years to notice there were two black students there? School staff must be colorblind. When I was in the 6th grade I went to a black school where there were only two whites and one mixed race (me). Trust me, it was noticeable that three of the students were not like the others.

The school is not a "white school" it's multiracial. The "white school"

I'm sorry that she lives in a bad part of town, but like everyone else has said, she could always move to a place that would allow her kids to go to a better school. Home schooling was also an option.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Reading the comments in this thread totally makes me appreciate again how having a smooth, not-retarded bureaucracy is SOOOOOO much better.

Most of you are insane. No wonder your school systems suck. They reflect *you* perfectly.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's a known fact that inner city predominately Black schools have larger class sizes, inferior facilities, books and materials and resulting in lower test score and general quality of education.

I feel that The racial outcry has more to do with the extent at which the school and school district went to investigating this and turning it into a seemingly serious matter or crime, leading to the individuals being charged with Tampering with court records ?

For what I ask ?

For essentially coming from the wrong side of the tracks and trying to get a better education for their children ? ?
A better education that the parents themselves were denied for growing up in poverty themselves ?

Yes, they violated some statute/law, at best a misdemeanor offense. But since this offense is of a civil nature then simply kick the kids out of the school sending them back to their own district and be done with it.

Taking this case to trial is a waste of taxpayer's money. They both should have been sentenced to community service in working with their own district's schools.

But that is exactly what government tends to do best.

There are much bigger fish to fry as in prosecuting violent crime, but these impoverished individuals,unable to afford a decent attorney make for good examples and easy cases for which the "tough on crime" prosecutor to win.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
No Child Left Behind was signed into law by George Bush in 2001.

I agree with the poster who said that all schools should be funded equally. That would eliminate people needing to send their children to a district they do not live in.
edit on 1-26-2011 by groingrinder because: Edited for content.

edit on 1-26-2011 by groingrinder because: Edited to clarify that NCLB was GWB.

edit on 1-26-2011 by groingrinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

Actually funding to schools is based on property values. So a school near the projects in a bad neighborhood with little value gets less money than a school located in a suburban area where the property value is.

The very idea of how school funding is distributed class discrimination. In Europe, they have a "dollar" amount on how much it takes to teach one student and not based on how much said student's house cost.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I didn't read all of the replies, there are quite a few, so I'm not sure if what I add was mentioned already.

Yes it is fraud but I don't think it's a race issue, instead it sounds like a poverty issue.
The article mentions

The court determined that sending their children to the wrong school was worth $30,500 in tuition.

How much is spent if the children was going to the school in their district? I imagine it's considerably less since this was brought up in the first place.
This happens all of the time and personally I don't blame any parent for wanting and trying to better their children.
My sister went to the school located around the corner from her place of employment asking for her children to be allowed to attend their school instead of the one in her residential district. They approved her request with the warning that if the children were disruptive, habitually absent or failing in their grades that they would have to leave as the funds are based on grades and attendance.
I hope they don't look into the "free" and "reduced" lunch applications! If so, they will find scores of fraud.
I hope the children haven't suffered too much with this.

SL
edit on 26-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: still learning the quotes

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I just watched a small segment with the woman on abc 7 chicago. Apparently, the school district said that they were pressing charges because her children were receiving a quality education for her children without paying the taxes for said education.

The thing that gets me though is that she used her father's address, who has no minor child attending the school. He is paying taxes for that same quality education and is not using that service. So, he agreed to let his grandchildren use his tax dollars.

I don't know, yes it's wrong to lie. But I feel it's a little like the person that steals bread to feed their starving children. She was acting in their best interests and someone was paying the taxes for the education, I don't agree with her 10 day sentence.

Also, while she's in jail would her kids be staying with her father in district? Seems a little counterproductive.

edit on 26-1-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

And hopefully you would be arrested day in and day out and brought up on charges as well. Again, has nothing to do with race.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why do people who claim they are none racist get so angry when a race issue comes up?
I mother did the same for me and her grand children and great nieces in order to get a better education.
Pretty shady for the district to spy on the woman.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

What am I pre-judging?
Please stay on topic. This is about a black parent that was forced do break the law in order to keep her family safe.
Please review the Youtube video of her in jail.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Again with the race card... This is about a black parent... Why does the race card have to be played. I think everyone would get the idea if it was stated this is about a parent that was forced to break the law... Oh and by the way noone is really forced to break the law there are exceptions to the rule but this is not one of them. You have a choice stop at the red light or dont. Run out of the store with a new TV or dont and pay for it. Knowingly lie on documents or be an honest and legal. She knew what she did was wrong when she was doing it and was probably happy as hell while it worked for her then it caught up to her and she plays the race card. should be punished for doing so.... jail time is a little extreme but a fine yes.... She wont get any sympathy from me since I had to move to a new apt in order for my daughter to go to a good school the RIGHT WAY I wassent forced It was a choice. If you are willing to break the law then be prepared when it catches up with you dont cry and try and turn it into a race thing so it will maybe go away.

Im so sick of this race card B.S.!!!! Some people deserve to be punched in the face very hard. by someone with a very big fist.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by Aeons

And hopefully you would be arrested day in and day out and brought up on charges as well. Again, has nothing to do with race.

Nope. Because when I was done, I'd be in public office after having gone to the Supremes with loud righteous indignation the entire way for publicity.

Not only would I not be in jail, I'd be your local representative when I was finished.

Ridiculous laws with bad consequences don't deserve to stand. Administrative ghosts which exist only to prop up a map or a database are bad for society.

Let me give you an example of why re-examination of bad-bureaucratic decisions with bad consequences makes sense.

In the case of an emergency, every building has escape plans. Generally large buildings have two stairways. Until recently, emergency plans often tried to "load-level" stairways in an emergency by assigning which stairway for people to use. Of course, since people move floors all the time they rarely know which stairway to use UNTIL the emergency or practice-emergency. Which means that instead of leaving, they start asking people which stairway, or going to the map to find out which stairway. Disruptive, and those may be precious seconds.

Whereas, upon re-examination, it is apparent that in a truly statistical manner, people will load level THEMSELVES. Given two stairways over many floors, the load level will naturally stablize.

Duh.

Stupid administrative controls are stupid.
edit on 2011/1/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
She wasn't jailed either, she's been placed on probation.

There was also a charge of grand theft but was dropped.

It's sad the race card is being played here...

edit on 26/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

Actually a CNN site says she was sentenced to 5 years prison all suspended except 10 days..She was apparently convicted of a felony.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
None of this affects me really because I choose home-schooling.

This allows me to focus on math and science instead of letting my kids focus on getting the newest gadgets or wearing the cool cloths.

Anyways.

I don't think this has anything to do with race either.
It's obviously about making fraudulent documents in order to ship the kids to another district.

Maybe more home-schooling is necessary for the general population, half the folks around here have no reading comprehension at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bull#, there is no such thing as a segregated school district. If this was the case, than the issue would not be with the mother but with the school district instead.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Why does'nt the father of these kids swap houses with her? Sounds like he paid little in child support yet could afford a much better neighborhood? The father should go to jail, not the mother!!!

The father is HER father - not the father of the children. In other words it's the childrens GRANDFATHER. The father of the children is never mentioned - if she even knows who the father is.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
if you really think about it nobody stole anything...... the public schools are owned by the gov't and money is paid by the gov't which is collected from not just people who live in the district( which is a tiny fraction of overall money accrued to run a school) but from the whole state and distributed by the nimber of students that recieve tenure at each facility. how can a school be robbed when they get paid for number of kids enrolled??????? The idea that the gov't is being robbed is also erroneous because no matter where the kid lives in the state , they are required to educate........regardless if they live in the eastern half of the state or town and go to the opposite side of town or state for an education. nobody is robbed and nobody is short changed. It is just pure accounting gimmick that the people buy into. BTW the story is not about race

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

It's a known fact that inner city predominately Black schools have larger class sizes, inferior facilities, books and materials and resulting in lower test score and general quality of education...

It's a known fact that you're WRONG. The most money per student in any public schools goes to D.C and other predominately Black schools. That being the actual FACT - maybe it's some other reason that the kids don't do as well and have a higher crime and delinquency rate?

What could it be? Maybe most of them wear Nike shoes, could it be the shoes? Or maybe most of them eat Florida Oranges, could it be the Oranges? For the life of me I just can't seem to figure out what all of them have in common?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join