It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Mother Jailed For Sending Kids To White School District

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by SpaDe_

foxync.com...
! Where is Obama on this debacle?

edit on 26-1-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Why would Obama get involved in this? Because he is half black? He has no business sticking his nose in this matter.

Why should the POTUS get involved (shakes head in wonder)?
Do his words,"leave no child left behind" ring a bell?
Your prejudice is showing.

Sorry but your prejudice is showing more than the other poster.

What am I pre-judging?
Please stay on topic. This is about a black parent that was forced do break the law in order to keep her family safe.
Please review the Youtube video of her in jail.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
if they didnt use the race card then it wouldnt make as good viewing/reading. here in the uk if you wear baggy hoodies etc... and are a teenager you get stopped by the police and searched if roaming around the streets but because some areas are full of young black teenagers and these areas have higher crime rates because they are generally poorer areas then the teenagers will get searched more by the police and they then use the race card.

there is alot of prejudice in the uk but it is on the poor as they commit more easy to solve crimes and racism is still about but people use the race card when it is not relevant, this just seems like the same kind of thing although you wouldnt go to jail for this kind of thing in the uk.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

Much like police and fire departments, schools are districted for a reason and race has nothing to do with it. Funds are appropriated based on family and housing sizes within the district. This keeps the number of students in the schools down to what the schools can handle.

Schools here in Slovakia get funds based on number of students. You can send your kids wherever you want (assuming there is enough capacity). Seems like she indeed broke the law, but it sounds like quite a stupid law, IMHO.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
wonder what the laws on equality sais about race segregated school districts ,

go figure

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Ok that said something different to what I read, that vid said she's serving a 10 day sentence but I read she was place on a 2 year probation.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Ok that said something different to what I read, that vid said she's serving a 10 day sentence but I read she was place on a 2 year probation.

Phage's signature line comes to mind here.
Regardless, its a sad day when someone is pushed to the brink to save their family, and goes to jail for such a petty thing as breaking school district laws.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think it's ridiculous for those kids mother to be jailed just because she sent them out of district. Yes she broke the law, but putting her in jail is not cause for when there are real criminals who should be taking her place.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Rocketgirl because: No reason given

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Well different plans work different places. In a city of 3 million people it doesn't work to let kids go to whatever schools they want. Some schools would end up with class sizes of 100 while others would have 10.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
when you live in a area you shop in that area, those taxes go to that district if you don't really live there the money is not brought in for that district to cover your children.... she lied white blue green or black doesn't matter sometimes law is law..... not everything is a conspiracy and not every law is unjust...... A society of cry babies

next time maybe she will do what every other person does move to the district you prefer to have your kids go to school in.

stupid race card seriously i think that's getting a little played out considering minorities out populate whites in the USA and we have F-ing BLACK President now give it up

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
reply to post by Maslo

Well different plans work different places. In a city of 3 million people it doesn't work to let kids go to whatever schools they want. Some schools would end up with class sizes of 100 while others would have 10.

And why would there be 100 kids in a class. Is it because that district provided a better education?
What equality is there in that?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

foxync.com...

“Ohio – An Ohio mother of two was sentenced to 10 days in jail and placed on three years probation after sending her kids to a school district in which they did not live. Kelly Williams-Bolar was sentenced by Judge Patricia Cosgrove on Tuesday and will begin serving her sentence immediately.
The jury deliberated for seven hours and the courtroom was packed as the sentence was handed down. She was convicted on two counts of tampering with court records after registering her two girls as living with Williams Bolar’s father when they actually lived with her. The family lived in the housing projects in Akron, Ohio, and the father’s address was in nearby Copley Township”

Any parent would empathize with this mother who just wants a decent education for her children. The intensive stress caused by the unusually high crime rate in her home district, along with her concern for the safety of her children, drove her this decision. Why the white school district would hire a private investigator to stalk her and video tape her living outside the “district” is despicable! Where is Obama on this debacle? Is he going to handle this one just like he handled his relatives here in the US or Africa?
Sad times we are in.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Skyfloating because: external quote tags added

Thank god.

If the jury actually passed their judgment based on their dislike of the law rather than the facts in question, the world might have broken off its axis and gone tumbling toward the Sun.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Put the race card back in your pocket. She broke the law, the law has penalties attached to it. Plain and simple. Just because she happens to be black doesnt mean its some vendetta on African American society. You are simply trolling for flags and stars using the race card to do so. Sad, sad man.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
"forced" to break the law to keep her family "safe"? how is sending her children to a different school about safety? are you saying, that a predominantly white school is safer than a predominantly black school? is that what your saying? because, now it sounds like that's what you're saying. hmm.. and you wanna talk about the prejudices of others.
if she had fears about the safety of her children, she should have gone to the school board with her concerns, or taken them out and home schooled them. if it had been about safety, i'm sure the judge would have gone with a lighter sentence, but as i'm sure it indeed had nothing to do with safety, she got what she got.
edit on 26-1-2011 by notsofast because: sp

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411
when you live in a area you shop in that area, those taxes go to that district if you don't really live there the money is not brought in for that district to cover your children.... she lied white blue green or black doesn't matter sometimes law is law..... not everything is a conspiracy and not every law is unjust...... A society of cry babies

next time maybe she will do what every other person does move to the district you prefer to have your kids go to school in.

stupid race card seriously i think that's getting a little played out considering minorities out populate whites in the USA and we have F-ing BLACK President now give it up

I think one of the reasons the race card was played is because of the source. The site the article is on has at the top blackplanet universe which is part of a site called blackplanet. I haven't used the site in years for many reasons and this is one of them because of how they use the terms black and white in there so called news articles. Meaning they seem to always put there own twist in the news when it's never necessary.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Rocketgirl because: No reason given

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
wonder what the laws on equality sais about race segregated school districts ,

go figure
um there is program for that in every city she should have done it the right way

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Your pre-judging comes from the fact that you are seeing this as a race issue which means you are prejudging the actions of the school and the courts as being racist.
I see this as a social issue rather than a race issue tbh and the way you have attacked other posters for their opinions also shows prejudice.
The mother did break the law and as such should be punished. The reasons for it were understandable all she wanted to do is get her kids a better education but there are better ways than breaking the law.
If anything should come out of this case is the way that parents are able to choose the schools for their kids.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
If she was that concerned about the area why didn't she move, or actually let her children live with their father? Frankly, I couldn't care less but for anyone who is arguing against the school districts behavior you are simply saying that its okay to break laws when its convenient or in particular circumstances. Laws are black and white and leave no grey area, that is a big reason why there are juries. Juries can recognize particular circumstances that move situations into that "grey area" and if they feel the actions were justified, can nullify the law in that particular case without actually changing the law itself. After 7 hours of deliberation, they obviously did not believe her actions were justified...period...end of story...move along here.

Anyone playing the race card at this point in time should be ashamed of themselves. Just remember, if one side continuously plays it, the other side will too. If you cry the racism wolf every at every turn you are actually feeding the racist mentality and more than likely are a racist yourself.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Phage's signature line comes to mind here.

I agree, twisting this into some sort of race related thing is low and unnecessary, shotgun journalism at it's finest, sucked you in though, didn't it?

Regardless, its a sad day when someone is pushed to the brink to save their family, and goes to jail for such a petty thing as breaking school district laws.

That's supposition, you don't know the reasons why she did what she did.

Tell me, why did she have a grand theft charge placed on her?

Perhaps she isn't as innocent as you make out...?

edit on 26/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
She broke a law by sending her kids to the wrong school. I don't know why the article feels the need to use "BLACK" and "WHITE". You have to attend the school in your district. It's a common sense law for bus routes, class sizes, etc. It's not a race based in any way.

she should have moved to a smaller town. Less crime.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

Very well stated.

there sure do seem to be a lot of misread or ill-conceived perceptions in some of the responses here thus far.

not sure why the article and title focus so heavily on the white/black aspect, aside from the fact that the actual source is www.blackeconomicdevelopment.com... and authored by a Dr. Boyce Watkins.

The author of said article is the one putting the racial spin on the situation. Simple as that.

shouldn't it be more like,
"woman jailed for defrauding school district"
(?)

She and her Father [not husband] provided false [fraudulent] registration info to the school district, in order that her kids could attend a school they would have otherwise not been eligible to go to.

^^^ Now THAT'S the black & white of the situation. ^^^

Do I feel she should serve jail time and have a felony conviction on her record. Hell no ... especially since that will preclude her from ever obtaining the teaching degree she'd been working towards in order to give her kids a better life.

Personally I feel a more appropriate sentence would be for her And her father to have to pay restitution to the school district for the 'ill-gotten academics' , to include two years community service in the school district they defrauded.

This is about a black parent that was forced do break the law in order to keep her family safe

Wow. Now that's Really quite a stretch on the facts surrounding the case. She was Forced to break the law ???

having read that ^^^ makes me think you ought to hook up with that mnemeth character. cuz 'tween the pair of ya you could probably twist and spin a chuck e cheese party into the last supper.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join