It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation help.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I am really new to meditation, and had a new sensation tonight while meditating, which I am really curious about, and I want to know if it is...well.... normal I guess.
I am a little concerned that I am doing something wrong, because it feels so strange. Although it could be that I am just so new to this.

Somewhere through my meditation, I felt as though my forehead suddenly got really warm, and I felt a great pressure - not in any way uncomfortable, but more strange to me than anything.
It was not a feeling of pressure inside my head, but rather, on the surface of my forehead and very intensely so.

I didn't stop, and carried on with meditating anyway, and the feeling stayed there, and now I am finished, the feeling is even still there (45 minutes later now). Sort of freaking out now incase the sensation doesn't go away at all! lol!
Is this normal, or is it a sign of mediating the wrong way? Forgive my ignorance here, but I am still learning the best way for me to meditate.

Also, any tips or anything regarding on how to do a successful, beneficial meditation would be great!

Many thanks!
edit on 25-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

As far as a right and wrong way to do it I don't think there is one set way. We are all different and some things work for others etc.. I'd say don't think your way is bad, but there's nothing wrong with looking at other styles and taking what YOU want from them. Are you thinking when you meditate? I get pressure in a similar area and it's not too comfortable, it happens to me when I can't shut my consciousness off.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

From my understanding and experience... that shows that your "3rd eye" is opening and becoming aware. Which is very good. You are expanding and becoming more aware/in touch with your higher self.

As for meditating properly. I believe that is a personal experience. What works for one, may not work for another. So continue with what seems to be working for you.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here's a recent thread that might give you some ideas.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The area in the center of your forehead is known as the Third Eye. If you google "Third Eye and Meditation", you'll find some interesting reading.

Is it feeling normal yet?

edit on 1/25/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292

As far as a right and wrong way to do it I don't think there is one set way. We are all different and some things work for others etc.. I'd say don't think your way is bad, but there's nothing wrong with looking at other styles and taking what YOU want from them. Are you thinking when you meditate? I get pressure in a similar area and it's not too comfortable, it happens to me when I can't shut my consciousness off.

Hey Silverado!

Thanks for your response!

I really am exceptionally new to this, so for now, I am not thinking anything,... just trying to quieten my thoughts really.
It's just such a strange feeling, and even now, it is still there, and no sign of the feeling going. I shouldn't be worried?
I guess I need to do a lot more reading up on meditation, because I don't really know what ways there are to do it.
I suppose I just sat myself down and hoped for the best - maybe wasn't such a good idea! *giggles*

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The same thing happens to me most of the time when I meditate... However, I am a newbie too so I can't really say whether this is right or not.

When I get that sensation of pressure on my forehead though, its a pretty euphoric feeling for me, and I usually try to "lock into" it. But again, I don't have any clue what im talking about either. lol

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I am no expert in meditation but I have dabbled in it from time to time.

What you could be experiencing is the opening of your third eye. Usually it is said that it takes a while to open the third eye but some people have experienced an opening spontaneously.

When I meditate I get a feeling of pressure in my forehead but it usually only last a few minutes after I have completed my session.

I have read warnings that once the third eye is opened it may be hard to close and can cause discomfort and certain negative effects but I can't say for sure it is the case.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You will become aware of subtle energies the more you continue to meditate. As far as I know there is no way to do it 'wrong' but there are pathways to take in the meditative world that provide different results.

For starters, I recommend just focus on your breathing, in and out,deeper and deeper. letting thoughts flow into your mind without holding onto them...let it go...and allow new thoughts to flow, continue this until your mind is clear. The deeper you go, the more you will begin to sense.

I recommend Yogic practice in combination with meditation.

A great type of Yoga for beginners is Yin Yoga.

You can branch into more complicated meditations and yogic practice as your experience grows.

Blessings,

-G

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

From my understanding and experience... that shows that your "3rd eye" is opening and becoming aware. Which is very good. You are expanding and becoming more aware/in touch with your higher self.

Ok, wow! Thankyou! I have a lot to read up on!
I feel somewhat silly now, because I had thoughts that I might have done some damage to a nerve or something! LOL!

Thanks for the link Benevolent! That will be valuable to me

And nope It is not normal at all yet, still as intense as it was an hour or so ago. I think that's why I was beginning to panic!

Bobbinhood, I'm happy to hear this might be normal then, I hope!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Darn it!

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were here to help me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Thanks tv-nation!
When I say I am new to this, I mean...new.

Tonight was my first time meditating,since around 7-8 years ago (back then I didn't even pay attention) hence my panic I guess lol!

I still feel it now, but feel a little more relaxed now I have some direction on what it might be.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Thanks for the advice!

Is it true that, if I can purify my body, (stop smoking,drinking alcohol,etc) That I can reach a better place in meditation?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

So sowwies!

Although, I have already gotten advice here! Maybe you can use it!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There is no "best" way to meditate, so no worries on that one.

For me, an important part of conceptualization was in practicing the awareness and mindfullness garnered in meditation in every day life. In that respect, one could look at it as "exercise" for being aware. or just "being."

There are various meditations one can do as they are just walking around as well. I cant remember where i read it, but somewhere in history, one practice was to walk around pretending as though ones head was not on top of the body, and was simply no where. It is interesting what such an exercise can do for perspective. In some martial arts, it is partially taught as awareness of what is in front, and what is behind, at the same time.

Either way, when i personally meditate, i could conceptualize it as connecting the "alpha" and "omega" with this ones perspective. Connecting the vastness of systems larger than this body with the vastness of systems smaller than this body. Ideally, the experience doesnt end or begin with the meditation itself. For this ones experience, such practices slowly open the door to different perspectives, and in possible clarity of the depth of "free will."

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildeagle

Thanks for the advice!

Is it true that, if I can purify my body, (stop smoking,drinking alcohol,etc) That I can reach a better place in meditation?

That doesnt sound very fun does it?

the cleaner you are, the more fine tuned your senses will become. But to be honest, you are receiving information beyond the physical body, and so long as you continue to strengthen that connection, the health of the body doesn't regulate your connection to spirit.

If you smoke a pack a day and get drunk several nights a week, you may find your practice held back somewhat. Every person is different mind you.

Quiting smoking and drinking occasionally would be ideal.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Maybe you can use it!

Absolutely!

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Not a problem, I'm far from an expert myself. I've tried meditating off and on over the decades but I started doing it daily after I cleaned house religiously speaking. New experiences can be freaky, I remember 6 months ago I was sitting in my chair with my legs crossed because it was comfortable. I was tired so I leaned forwards and rested my head between my index and middle fingers with my thumbs on my lower jaw. It felt pretty good so I closed my eyes and relaxed and decided to give my forehead a rub. I'm guessing I was massaging my third eye because out of the blackness I could see shapes at that point my index and middle fingers started to diverge from each other and I'm guessing at that point my third eye opened. For a brief second I could see like I've never been able to see before, I say a brief second because my reaction to that was "HOLY #ING #!! then nooooo important things are going to fall" out and I slammed it shut. I wasn't trying to do it and I definitely wasn't prepared for the experience. And due to my current living situation I won't be trying it again.

I'd say continue doing what you're doing, you're feeling something so I'd say you're doing it "right" whatever the right way is anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
was there a tickling like feeling, as if an ant where there?[it's known as the tickling of the ant]

i get this meditating and also when somebody tries to hypnotize or psychically/mentally influence me

oh and yes, third eye manifestation.
don't worry, as you awaken/become more aware these strange/funny sensations are like signals or cues.

a good sign all in all

so just keep at it with no worries.

what kind of meditation are you doing?
while there are some more esoteric/extreme forms of meditation that could be be dangerous/problematic i doubt you are using these as they are not common knowledge.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Thanks sinohptik,

I guess I mostly want to become more aware of everything about me, and the things around me. To reach a higher level of self awareness, and feel a comfortable sense of calm.

That walking meditation sounds really interesting, and would be great for evening walks etc. I often enjoy a walk along the river that I live close by. This could be something for me to look into as I progress.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Nope, It didn't sound like fun to me either lol!
But I don't drink much, although I smoke quite heavily. I am planning to quit in a few weeks time (I have something coming up soon, which I know I will be a bag of nerves for) So am waiting for that to pass before I quit smoking. But determined!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join