It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 47% Of Working Age Americans Have Full Time Jobs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Only 47% Of Working Age Americans Have Full Time Jobs

www.businessinsider.com

The total non institutional civilian labor force (Americans 16 years and older who are not in a institution -criminal, mental, or other types of facilities- or an active military duty) is reported as 238.889 million. Of these, we see:

Employed: 139.206 million people (58.3% of labor force)
Unemployed: 14.485 million people (6.1% of labor force)

Obviously, that can't be the total picture, we're only at 64.4%. This is why:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
From the Business Insider, an analysis of the January 7 employment report issued by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

8.931 million people want a full-time job but can't get one. (Called "Part time employed for economic reasons.")

18.184 million people are in school, retired or on Social Security and lose their benefits if they earn "too much" - or have childcare problems and family or personal obligations. (Called "Part time employed for non-economic reasons.")

And 85.2 Million people are "Not In the Labor Force." "Not in the labor force (NILF). A person who did not work last week, was not temporarily absent from a job, did not actively look for work in the previous 4 weeks, or looked but was unavailable for work during the reference week; in other words, a person who was neither employed nor unemployed."

To summarize: 108.616 million people in America are either unemployed, underemployed or "Not in the labor force". This represents 45.5% of working age Americans.

If you count the "Part time employed for non-economic reasons", you get 126.8 million Americans who are unemployed, underemployed, working part time or "Not in the labor force". That represents 53% of working age Americans.

So only 47% of working age Americans have full time jobs. While the official unemployment rate is 9.4%. Something's missing somewhere.

…Only 47% of working age Americans have full time jobs, but the official unemployment rate is 9.4%.

Wonder what that means?

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
my dad is one of those Americans. However he was very concerned he might get laid off at anytime

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
ok slow down! what about those illegaly imployed, like in retail buisnesses? is that factored in too? are these legal taxx paying citizens? becaue if not..it will go to show how many illegals are employed and have bottomed out the job market here!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Ahem.

The problem isn't illegal immigrants stealing the jobs.

The problem is NO JOBS.

...the totally ill-conceived "market economy" that replaced the "production-based economy."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Ahem.

The problem is NO JOBS.

...the totally ill-conceived "market economy" that replaced the "production-based economy."

Industry died ( or was murdered) and so did jobs.

I can only guess that the unemployment % is BS...
It appears it is in actuality a lot higher. Many of the studies have interpreted those getting unemployment dropping as the proper rate.. which is ludicrous considering the time limits and end on extensions.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
We are not making anything - corporations went overseas
We are not building anything - foreclosures rule the markets
We are not fixing anything - no one has money after they pay for food/heat.

We are eating at McDonalds - it's cheaper than healthy food... so jobs go here
We are shopping at malls - we can't do without our itoys or shoes... so jobs go here
We are great BSing (wall street) - only jobs left other than above...

We are totally insane as a society...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
yeah, but ive known illegals at work, who have fake social security numbers, or i think used fake names somehow to have social security. they all try to marry some white guy for citizenship..alot at CVS pharmacy. i know for a fact 3 of them are ilelgla yet are employed..so im assuming its fake social security numbers. they know how to scam the system here.
so! thats why i question, the legitness of the employment numbers* it would mean, the census, or whoever, also made the percentage including illegals with false citizenship or social security numbers or something.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have a full time job but zero insurance...and I work in the medical field....

edit on 24-1-2011 by zbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

the problem isn't illegals stealing jobs...the problem is NO JOBS

If an illegal has a job, that job isn't listed in positions vacant or advertised for citizens to apply for.
So technically it is job stealing or job theft. (Theft meaning the taking of something that doesn't legally belong to you).
It isn't a chicken and egg situation. It's quite clearly a 1+1=2 situation.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Makes sense to me op, as I have obsererved the scenery around me on a daily basis reminds me of every day being sunday. With almost know one at work and everyone grabbing a soda and a paper at the local nickel and dime!
Great times we live in

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

The accelerating advancements in sciences and technologies are doing away with the need for human jobs. For instance, the "authorities" now want to deploy small spy drones and use them in place of helicopters. Two people fly the helicopter. Someone has to maintain it. Someone has to make replacement parts for it. Its expensive to operate. On the other hand, a spy drone is small. It can be operated by one person, or operate autonomously. It has fewer parts. It doesn't need near the maintenance, and is relative cheap to operate compared to a helicopter.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Thiers too much outsourcing that happend and still happeneing. my point is, if the system here didnt favor illegal aliens, that percentage of 47% would be much much higher for legal taxpaying citizens

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

edit on 24-1-2011 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Ahem.

The problem is NO JOBS.

The illegals are indeed a problem. For every illegal who is in the workforce with false documents, that is one job that has been stolen and belongs to an American citizen.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

The problem is NO JOBS.

^ This

And the few jobs that are available barely pay more than a welfare check so people think, what's the point ?

I have to confess the Walmart advertisement really gets me angry. It stars some African American guy named William. Basically the commercial is him acting so lucky he's got a job at Walmart and how he's been promoted to department manager and how cozy his life is with Walmart as an employer. No offense to people that work there, but many likely wouldn't know a "good job" if it hit them in the head. I think the starting pay is maybe $7-8 an hour. If you bust your rear end, in 5-10 years you may end up at $11-12 bucks an hour. The only ones in the store making a living wage are the manager and assistant manager. That's out of several hundred employees. I remember reading a report a few years ago, most Walmart employees are on food stamps because the wages are so poor.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zbeliever
I have a full time job but zero insurance...and I work in the medical field....

well u could always fix urself.
but good luck suing the doc
for malpractice

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
We are not making anything - corporations went overseas
We are not building anything - foreclosures rule the markets
We are not fixing anything - no one has money after they pay for food/heat.

We are eating at McDonalds - it's cheaper than healthy food... so jobs go here
We are shopping at malls - we can't do without our itoys or shoes... so jobs go here
We are great BSing (wall street) - only jobs left other than above...

We are totally insane as a society...

can't say that Ross Perot didn't warn
everyone about that giant sucking sound
of industry when they passed NAFTA
and those free trade agreements.

Oy yea, I forgot, that was the year they elected
Bill Clinton instead of the more intelligent Ross Perot.

I voted for Perot, so don't blame me.

edit on 1/24/2011 by boondock-saint because: added video

edit on 1/24/2011 by boondock-saint because: spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I was too young to vote, but I supported Perot.

I've recently heard Donald Trump of all people raising these same issues. About how he's got to buy all his building materials like steel and glass from China because America's industry has been decimated, and how the quality is crap, but since they can sell it for 25% less than it can be produced in America, all the heavy industry went out of business. He asked why the Congress would keep passing these trade deals that clearly screw over and hurt the American economy. His answer was they are all getting bribed and paid off. He wants to institute a higher tariff against Chinese imports. I wonder how long it will take before enough is enough and people realize free trade is anything but free.

And I've read free trade has actually hurt Mexico as well. They used to do our dirty work. And now even Mexican labor is too expensive for the multinationals. Why pay someone $2 an hour when they can pay a Chinese or Bangladesh national 20 cents an hour ? All while outright dumping toxic waste into the drinking water.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
I've recently heard Donald Trump of all people raising these same issues. About how he's got to buy all his building materials like steel and glass from China because America's industry has been decimated, and how the quality is crap, but since they can sell it for 25% less than it can be produced in America, all the heavy industry went out of business.

the old adage is very true:

"you get what you pay for"

one day, buildings may fall down
and many people may lose their life
due to inadequate structural components.
Why ???

All because of corporate greed and their
bottom lines.

To hell with the American worker, they said.

One day, that will bite them in the @r$e.

<<   2  3 >>

join