It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 47% Of Working Age Americans Have Full Time Jobs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
"you get what you pay for"

And it's not just commercial industry. The military industrial complex itself is getting duped. I remember reading a story on ATS a few years ago, about how the DOD was buying substandard electronic components for fighter jets. Some guy started a business and was buying surplus integrated circuits from China for dirt cheap and then turning around and winning these bids for defense contracts and how they estimated there were millions of spare avionics parts in the US defense inventory that didn't meet required MILSPEC and were in fact worse quality than standard off the shelf items.

There is no way I could imagine 20-30 years ago during the cold war, that the US DOD would allow suppliers to use parts from antagonistic countries in such critical applications. The fact that these parts aren't available on the domestic market would be a national security issue !

I know China actually has laws where if a foreign company wants to operate there, they aren't allowed to maintain any trade secrets. Basically the Chinese govt is allowed access to all of the private company's plans and technology. Ostensibly so the product can be cloned at rocket bottom prices, putting the original foreign manufacturer out of business.

China's President Hu couldn't even give Obama a firm commitment that his government would stop using pirated copies of Windows OS.

The globalist corporations have no allegiance to anyone. They care about profit more than anything. They're perfectly content to destroy America if it means a 12% vs 8% annual return on their investment. How restricting their actions is somehow constituted as a challenge or threat to capitalism, I have no idea.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

The globalist corporations have no allegiance to anyone. They care about profit more than anything. They're perfectly content to destroy America if it means a 12% vs 8% annual return on their investment. How restricting their actions is somehow constituted as a challenge or threat to capitalism, I have no idea.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LanMan54

The accelerating advancements in sciences and technologies are doing away with the need for human jobs.

Yes.

...and along with moving from a production-based economy to a market and service-based economy, and outsourcing production - few jobs that pay living wages are left.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

The illegals are indeed a problem. For every illegal who is in the workforce with false documents, that is one job that has been stolen and belongs to an American citizen.

You wanna fight for your right to spend your life sucking pesticides into your lungs for a few bucks a day, be my guest.

IMHO - the jobs worth having are gone. Those left are low-pay, unhealthy, backbreaking and soul-sucking.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Just skip the fact that corporations lobby politicians to keep them from cracking down on those who hire undocumented labor.

The problem isn't "illegals",it's those who hire them.

The real problem,above and way beyond the above,is the shipping of industries from here to overseas.

The "Illegal" thing is more of a distraction,something you can see,something you can peck at.

Like chickens do.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Night Star

The illegals are indeed a problem. For every illegal who is in the workforce with false documents, that is one job that has been stolen and belongs to an American citizen.

You wanna fight for your right to spend your life sucking pesticides into your lungs for a few bucks a day, be my guest.

IMHO - the jobs worth having are gone. Those left are low-pay, unhealthy, backbreaking and soul-sucking.

The illegals are everywhere in the workforce, not just just picking crops. Why anyone still believes that the illegals are just taking jobs that American citizens won't take is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
reply to post by Flighty

Just skip the fact that corporations lobby politicians to keep them from cracking down on those who hire undocumented labor.

The problem isn't "illegals",it's those who hire them.

The real problem,above and way beyond the above,is the shipping of industries from here to overseas.

The "Illegal" thing is more of a distraction,something you can see,something you can peck at.

Like chickens do.

There are many bills that will be coming up to discourage corporations from hiring illegals. Corporations are indeed to blame, however illegals are not stupid, they know full well that they are breaking laws, presenting false documents, stealing identities and are replacing citzens in the workforce.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It means there are a lot of people who don't need full time jobs to make it happen.

How many are business owners? How many are day-traders? How many are pimps or hoes? How many are musicians? How many are hackers? How about drug dealers? You don't have to have a job to make a ton of money...

edit on 25-1-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

…Only 47% of working age Americans have full time jobs, but the official unemployment rate is 9.4%.

Wonder what that means?

True figures don't lie, but liars figure(to adjust to their respective agendas).

The number you have presented makes more sense when we hear that up to 50% of Americans don't pay taxes, or are on governmental assistance.

ETA: But, what Hunkahunka says makes sense as well; we wouldn't be reporting illegal activities on our taxes, now would we? I guess the problem I have is seeing so many people buying and spending as if everything is normal...I just hope they aren't doing it on credit...

edit on 25-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: added after read post above

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Who knows what the real numbers are, they even admit they make it up. Also sometimes the media actually research the figures like they should and find alot of bull in them. But the public accept it....

What more can be said?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
While the America public is concerned about the lack of jobs, the illegals are laughing all the way to the bank, public schools, hospitals and social services. Does anyone here think illegals really care if American citizens have jobs right now?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Quote from the video:
"How does it level out? When their wage comes up to 6.00/Hour and ours goes down to 6"

.... check, we're there.

And don't look at me either... I voted for Perot also.

If Jessie Ventura & Ron Paul were running for office I would spend every free dime I have volunteering to get them elected!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by boondock-saint

Quote from the video:
"How does it level out? When their wage comes up to 6.00/Hour and ours goes down to 6"

.... check, we're there.

And don't look at me either... I voted for Perot also.

If Jessie Ventura & Ron Paul were running for office I would spend every free dime I have volunteering to get them elected!!!

I voted Perot too. I recall how he was ridiculed when he dared suggest that the country be run as a company rather than a daycare.
He was spot on.. I really do believe that if it was run as a company that we would have less problems at the very least as far as number skewing.. like this unemployment number and FT employed number.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
About how he's got to buy all his building materials like steel and glass from China because America's industry has been decimated...

China did not decimate the United States steel manufacturers. Most of the blame falls on American companies themselves for not modernizing after World War II when they had a several decades advantage over the German and Japanese companies that were completely destroyed during the war. The fact that there was no longer an infrastructure allowed them to redevelop their own steel industries with an eye twords more modern methods of production. Most American companies lagged behind and thus suffered every decreasing demand while foreign companies bettered their manufacturing with more efficient means of produciton. A similar situation occured in the automobile industry but was also more greatly influenced by union contracts then the steel industry which was always more adverse to unions.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Its simple but people refuse to do it.

You wanna make the world a better place?

Don't buy gas from BP.
Don't eat McDonald's...ever
Don't shop at Walmart ever.

Make a conscious effort to buy American.

That's the bear minimum. Eat healthy, shop local private small business.

If u care do something. Most wont even alot of those who post on these forums will make excuses for their shortcomings when it comes to being responsible for our world.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
Its simple but people refuse to do it.

You wanna make the world a better place?

Don't buy gas from BP.
Don't eat McDonald's...ever
Don't shop at Walmart ever.

Make a conscious effort to buy American.

That's the bear minimum. Eat healthy, shop local private small business.

If u care do something. Most wont even alot of those who post on these forums will make excuses for their shortcomings when it comes to being responsible for our world.

Doesnt help when we are the minority.. the very low in numbers minority. I dont do vacations, designer clothes ( well.. not 100 % of the time and just some of the time if we HAVE to be honest.
) and new cars even though I can afford it due to choosing not to support the FDA and Nasty farm machines by buying free range healthy meats from local and order from US farmers. I grow most of my own veggies ( though last year I had almost NO sustainable yield.. stupid GMO seeds) , can, and buy produce and eggs locally from home producers as much as possible. The city wont let me keep chickens ( I already begged and told them Id pay to get a permit of sime kind) or Id do it too. I dont mind the work involved. I pay through the nose to practice what I preach.. yet in the years I have done this is has made NO difference.
I do it now for my own body, my family's health, and my own conscience... not to change the world.

I shop locally as much as possible.. to keep the money in my OWN community. Shop local is a big thing here. It would be nice, but no businesses really want to com ehere but these stupid boutique places and antique shops that we HAVE to go out of town to really get what we need. I need a roof, I hire local. I need help with something.. I hire a local contractor that is out of work and advertising in the papers.

We can do ALL of these things.. but it makes no real difference because WE are the minority. Things are not set up as they were when I was a younger adult. We had a chance to make a difference a decade or 2 ago.. not now. Barn door open, cow lost or moved to China. Now that Im older its all screwed up.

ANYWAY.. what Im saying is do the things youve mentioned and Ive mentioned because its the right thing to do... not becuase you feel its going to change the world. I AM the change I want to see.. I dont do it now for anyone else but for my own soul and mind and because its just the right thing to do.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Advantage because: added something

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Sounds like the traditional split, many 'NITF' will be homekeepers (mothers/housewives mostly though sometimes the roles are reversed.)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Go in the army

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I think you should keep doing what you have posted, it is rather commendable. We also try to shop and spend locally, not all of it is possible but we patronzie as many local businesses as we can. The pendulum always swings back, once the inevitable China implosion occurs, and it will, as all bubbles eventually burst, there could be new oportunities that present themselves. Be optimistic.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
reply to post by Advantage

I think you should keep doing what you have posted, it is rather commendable. We also try to shop and spend locally, not all of it is possible but we patronzie as many local businesses as we can. The pendulum always swings back, once the inevitable China implosion occurs, and it will, as all bubbles eventually burst, there could be new oportunities that present themselves. Be optimistic.

Oh yeah, we'll keep it up.Its become a habit.. after an initial gasp concerning the real cost of practicing what you preach.
Well we will as long as the hubby remains in that 47% of full time employed folks!

Id love to see a massive shift in things as in a positive bubble burst.. and would love to see the pendulum swing back to communities caring about and serving their own community.. but it only seems to have gotten worse in the last 2 decades. Hope our China addiction implodes in my lifetime though!

I have a real hard time finding the right numbers to really assess this thread.. If you take the claim of 47% ft employed, the numbers of pt employed, seasonally employed, those on welfare, those on unemployment and those who have run out of extension on unemployment and the current percentage of "unemployed".....and he population as it is after the census.. the numbers do NOT add up.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Advantage because: added something

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join