It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Jail After Protecting Home From Masked Attackers (with video footage)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Frogs

You guys are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
That IS what I think.
We use guns for hunting...we shouldn't be using guns for this purpose which is why I agree they should be taken away.
Cooler heads prevail.
He has insurance and video evidence.
It might be justified but the law is the law and he broke it.
The situation could have been different if he just let authorities handle it.
The neighbors might be in jail and his place could be rebuilt and he would still have his guns.
He broke the law.

I would have grabbed a hose before a gun and would have been on the phone with 911.
But then again I have had experience dealing with cops on similiar things and learned what not to do and that is taking the law into my own hands.

edit on 24-1-2011 by agentblue because: i accidently hit the wrong button

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Frogs

You guys are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
That IS what I think.
We use guns for hunting...we shouldn't be using guns for this purpose which is why I agree they should be taken away.
Cooler heads prevail.
He has insurance and video evidence.
It might be justified but the law is the law and he broke it.
The situation could have been different if he just let authorities handle it.
The neighbors might be in jail and his place could be rebuilt and he would still have his guns.
He broke the law. what is the difference between the military defending sovereignty and a citizen defending his sovereignty? After all the people is what makes the gov't and if you have no people then you have no laws. the man was acting in self defense plain and clear. the assailants full well knew he could die if the house was burnt down with him in it and if he risked going outside to extinguish the flames on his domicile then in turn could have been harmed by leaving his "castle" thereby exposing himself to potentially more harm. If he shot a warning shot he acted in a calm respectable manner to dipurse the assailants. out numbered and cornered the man was using justifiable means of protecting himself

I would have grabbed a hose before a gun and would have been on the phone with 911.
But then again I have had experience dealing with cops on similiar things and learned what not to do and that is taking the law into my own hands.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Wow... Just wow...

God forbid someone does the same on my property because I know how to shoot a gun and I guarantee I wouldn't miss.

That video made me FURIOUS.. I'm still incredibly P/Oed. Especially trying to harm his animals?? The animals weren't part of the fued... very un-needed.

THIS is the reason I own multiple firearms. I don't hunt.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Poor guy, I'm sure the local law enforcement has some beef with him. It sucks I live in a very corrupt city and have had drug charges and organized criminal activity charges for sitting on a friends front porch.
I'm a college student with no previous drug charges or criminal activity. His ex girlfriends mom lives down the street and called the pigs stating she saw someone breaking into the house. If we had broken in I don't think we would have sat on the front porch to have a beer!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Show this story to the Anti-Gun Crowd and watch them make excuses.

You see these guys in masks with those things that are on fire, ya, those can kill too.

Yes, those are meant to do just that. To use for total destrutction, not just little holes in walls.

And you are worried about law obiding citizens owning guns to defend themselves ?

You should/would be ashamed of yourseves. What if it was a llittle old lady in her house, or some children? Or all the above?
Oh now thats different you say....

Damn right it is, the difference is, I believe all people should be able to protect themselves, and you believe that they shouldnt.

Gun control, more like moron control. Ill get onboard with that.

Edit To Add- I believe that this man had every right to shoot the gun, my problem with it is, that he missed the target.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Star for you.

The days of protecting yourself,without being Judged Immediately, is over, IMHO. Political Correctness in every walk of life, is the norm. Rules and regulations,instead of common sense,rules the day.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

If there are several masked men on your property, throwing Molotov cocktails at your home and animals.... What are you supposed to do? Ask them to leave? No I'm going to grab my bat, gun, pitch fork or whatever and get some answers. How is pulling your gun in this situation irresponsible? He had every right to protect his property, animals, and his own life whether if it's America, Canada, or Timbuktu. These men looked like thugs willing to kill.

I would not have been so slow to pull the trigger.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
before i even clicked on the thread i knew this was canada. the police there don't like it when you take their job away. they want you to get murdered first, then have your family members bury you and live the rest of their lives in grief and then get hard to work catching your killer so he can spend the next 7 years in prison. in canada that means 18 months of actual prison.

the police in canada especially like it when there is an empty seat at your families house every thanksgiving, Christmas and birthdays to remind them you have been murdered.

i like the fact that the guy was even considerate enough to fire in the air and not shoot everyone of these a-holes in the head, even though they were trying to burn him alive.

it makes me so proud i want to get up and sing o canada.

just to put it in perspective if 4 masked men threw molotov cocktails at a canadian police cruiser with a murderous intent to burn the officer alive, not only will the police officer not shoot warning shots in the air, he would unload every bullet in his glock and splatter their brains on the pavement.

the officer would not only not be charged, but most likely be hailed a hero for getting these scum off the street, and also praised as the finest example of bravery and dedication a person can aspire to.

to bad the average canadians life isn't worth as much and isn't entitled to the same rights of self defence.

edit on 24-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
Wow... Just wow...

God forbid someone does the same on my property because I know how to shoot a gun and I guarantee I wouldn't miss.

That video made me FURIOUS.. I'm still incredibly P/Oed. Especially trying to harm his animals?? The animals weren't part of the fued... very un-needed.

THIS is the reason I own multiple firearms. I don't hunt.
I agree ENTIRELY.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
this thread is making me sick.

if someone throwing molotov cocktails and firebombs of that magnitude with such intent and malice is not enough to make you fear for your life and take appropriate actions to make them stop in the eyes of the law to be considered self defence, then the international definition of self defence should be re-examined at the u.n.

if i was arrested and charged like this guy, i would by bypass the whole canadian government and justice system and take my case to the united nations and file a grievance that my human rights are being violated and that i am being unfairly persecuted.

since canada is a signature member they have to abide by international laws. the right to self defence is a recognized human right, and trying to stop someone from burning you alive qualifies as self defence.

you should not be punished in anyway for exercising a human right and he was clearly justified in shooting them if so choose to, yet what is more ridiculous is that he is being punished for shooting in the air.

and you think you have it rough in america with the patriot act, look what canadians have to put up with.

edit on 24-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Really? you found a man in your house and you womped him good huh ? I can see how you can feel that you don't need guns in Canada especially from someone who can handle himself as well as you obviously can. but.................Hmmm, what if, and I am going out on a limb here, ..........what if .........The moon was in the 7th sun and Jupiter aliened with Mars, And he "womped you really good, then tired you and your family up with Duck tape. Went to the bedroom of your 12 yr old daughter and began to sodomize her for a better part of 40 minutes as she pleaded, cried and begged for her daddy to stop him, As your wife screamed and begged him to stop from her bedroom where she had been duct taped to your bed. Then duct tape your daughter back to her bed. Had a bite to eat, a cigarette and then went to work on your wife. And then after about 3 hrs of fun has a seat at your kitchen table watching you lie there on the floor looking all bad and all telling you how good the P^&^% was, I'm sure you would be thinking, "damn, if I had just connected with that judo chop I'd a womped him real good"............. Bad guy decides he's had enough fun that he can stand for one day and decides to douse the house with gas, light it on fire and take your explorer for a cruise.Leaving your daughter screaming in pain as she burns alive...Wait it gets better, everyone in the house dies. well everyone but you, you see, your neighbor just happens to see the smoke and calls 911. they get there just in the nick of time to save you , lucky huh ? Your daughter is nothing but a heap of ashes, firefighters Cant differentiate your Daughter's ashes from the bed she was laying on. Your wife was the lucky one, she was saved the pain of burning to death, she bled out after having her throat slit.

Now live the next 40 yrs with that, Mr. I womped him real good.

True story by the way

edit on 25-1-2011 by bull621 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2011 by bull621 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Another aspect that can be obtained from the video, which I'm surprised no one has brought up yet:

At one point, you can hear the assailant who appears to be the main attacker lobbing the firebombs, say:

"You better *expletive* move, or you're going to *expletive* DIE."

So not only were these guys carrying out a completely malicious attack upon this guy and his pets, but they are stating INTENT of KILLING him as well.

Death threats in conjuction with a viscious assault. That sounds like life or death defense to me.

If that does not warrant the use of brandishing and firing a firearm at said attackers (or even shooting warning shots), I don't know what type of scenario ever could.

This story and treatment of this homeowner is truly sad.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bull621

Would love to stay on topic but,My question is this. Is an Eye for an Eye going to get back your loved ones? Is a Gun going to be your best Defense? What happens if said attacker gets to you first? Turns your gun on you? Atrocity's happen everyday. Victims are plentiful. I dare say what I would do in a situation like that. Graphic and Horrible.

Back on OP's Topic. Its almost surreal to take evidence of said crime to police,and have charges brought up on the victim. We as a society are almost compelled to take matters into our own hands,for fear of being Judged by the very law that is supposed to protect and serve. Advice? Know your laws before taking action. I believe in most cases,if someone is in your home,you have the right to defend yourself. Outside is a whole different law.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
it makes me think, i heard a similar story in the UK. a rich foriegner went prison for beating up one of two attackers who had tied up his family.

now think.....what if they were government assasins, and you killed one of their pet assasins. would they make sure you come up against charges. part of their rule i guess. because in contrast they gaurantee assasins one thing - no case.

edit on 25-1-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I've read most of the responses and I have only one thing to say: any "law" or more accurately a "statute" that takes away from someone's inalienable right to self defense is null. This guy used restraint, and I commend him. I guess the lesson to be learned is don't trust the system.

This guy says it best:
Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment.
Michael Badnarik

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I think the lesson we're supposed to learn from this is- do not take a gun to a fire fight. Now... if the homeowner would have filled a super soaker with kerosene and douched the marauding brigands, he likely would have been ok.

Irrespective of the law (can I say that without getting some serious trouble?), there is a philosophical issue here.

1. Is it ethical to protect your property from felony destruction (arson)?
2. Is it ethical to use potentially lethal force to defend your property?

The answers will vary, and the basic value of contention will be (once again) responsibility. In one camp, people will say it is ethical to protect your property, although not with potentially lethal force. The basic value these folks will likely share is the communal responsibility to ensure just restitution for the victim of the damage. On the other side, others will agree that it is perfectly ethical to kill a man dead who is trying to burn down the house that shelters you from the elements. These people will likely have a value of personal responsibility to ensure justice is done.

Personally, I find it strange that in a world of a surplus of people, masses of starving children in Africa, street kids in Mexico City and Istanbul, teen girls subjected to sex slavery.... that some people would hold dear the value of a human life that feels confident enough to walk around and firebomb someone's house. I hold the value of personal responsibility, and feel that a man such as this firebomber isn't worth the value of the home that shelters me from the elements.

... in this new age dawning, where police and fire are getting laid off in droves, it makes you wonder why this guy just didn't do what they do in Montana- "Shoot, shovel, shut up"...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i was personally told by an officer that if someone was ever breaking in or assulting the house to shoot him and drag him inside the house. appearently if the perp is inside the residence its ol to defend yourself and your property. atleast in delaware anyways

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Ok....

Now, as someone who has close friends who have at one point been on "the wrong side of the law," Im all for living in a society where criminals are assumed innocent until proven guilty, and due course of law for people

But when said "criminal" is just a homeowner, minding his own business, and is forced (like any of us would be) to defend his home against attackers armed with firebombs, I think its the MORAL DUTY for the law enforcement officials to side with the homeowner.

Sure, maybe he took a few shots in an aggravated state and could've potentially hit a neighbor on accident, etc...
But, I think its utter lunacy that the law enforcement officials didnt side with the homeowner, and at the worst, just issue a warning, and perhaps instruct him on the so called "legalities" of discharging a firearm outside your home.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes it was a bad call.
He could have just called the fire dept and police and let things play out themselves.
Grabbing a gun should be the last resort.
Remember...this happened in Canada and we aren't as forgiving of gunplay as other nations.
He took the law into his own hands when he had the option of calling authorities.

Are you insane? They were fire bombing his house, letting things play out while waiting for cops and fire DP means letting your house burn down and risking death. This wasn't some little neighbor dispute, this is his neighbors trying to kill him over a chicken. What if he was asleep and they burned the house down? All for killing a chicken??? Amazing... Sigh!

He would have been better off putting them out of thier misery and using the loader in the driveway to disappear them then going to the cops.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nohumanintentions

Thats fine and dandy, until they find the blood trace of where you dragged him into the building after you sht him.
(but I get your point eventhough theres flaws in it).

In this case, that whole scenerio is a non issue because of the fact that someone was already trying to kill him. Them being outside while trying to burn his house down doesnt change the fact that his life was in danger. He had the right to shoot them there in his front yard. They obviously were trying to make good on their threats of killing him. They just didnt succeed.
Attempted murder. Its all on tape, Case Closed(edit-that is when they find out exactly WHO did it).

edit on 25-1-2011 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join