It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Jail After Protecting Home From Masked Attackers (with video footage)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Fair enough - and you explained in your later posts that perhaps a larger question is basically, "How valid are the laws?"

My point was more - "If he'd followed the law there is a good chance he'd be dead".

Getting back to the "How valid are the laws?" question that ties into officer / prosecutor discretion. At least here in the states the officers and prosecution have some discretion on when to charge / arrest and prosecute.

For example, a cop may decide not to charge you with jaywalking if you were running across the street to get out of a burning building.

Do they have the same level of discretion in Canada?

Granted, here in the states there are some officers and prosecutors that use good, common sense when exercising their discretion - and there are others that (in my above example) would do everything in their power to see the jaywalker punished to the fullest extent regardless of circumstances.

Are charges like this more the exception or the rule in Canada?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Oh Canada.
Shame, shame on you!!
Another British Crown spin-off (like Australia).
The man needs to assert his Castle Defense from english common law.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Simple solution........ BAN all flammable materials!

No flammable materials = No firebombs!

Simple really.

NO WAIT! ..........upon further thought I think chickens should be banned, thus eliminating the source of the dispute in this case and preventing any future chicken violence.

Yes, I know......a complete ban on flammable materials and chicken will pose BBQ problems but, we all must make sacrifices if we truly desire security.

Giving up the tangy deliciousness of BBQ chicken is a small price to pay to make the world a better place.

BTW the article in the OP is crazy.

ETA This man just lived thru a terrorist attack upon himself and his home, I haved watched enough MSM news to know that masked men throwing bombs are terrorists, i hope he doesn't follow the example set by the USA or there will be SHOCK AND AWE at the neibors place.

edit on 24-1-2011 by deepred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Pulling a gun and firing warning shots was the correct response in my view. #1 The ski masked men seemed hell bent on destruction with deadly firebombs, #2 He lived in a rural area and #3 He didnt kill anybody (I cant say that the police would have shown that degree of restraint,,,a molotov cocktail/firebomb is more deadly than a golf club from 15 ft away). If he shot and killed an innocent bystander then he should be charged but not in this case.
You would think that a country like Canada (or Australia for that matter) that has vast tracks of wilderness would be more tolerant of firearms. Dudley DooRight did wrong this time.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I live in Canada, but when it comes to the defense of my home, family and self... if I take a life to defend it then that is my right, regardless of the laws of the land.

We have a right to protect ourselves... period.

Anyone who says otherwise is really a fascist and can get killed in their next home invasion for all I care. Defend yourself and your home, it's your right regardless of the insane local laws.

We live in a predatory world where kill or be killed laws of nature do exist beyond the reach of the laws of man.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Did the man defending his home call the police before he decided to fire shots? Personally, I would want those idiots arrested, and the best chances of having that happen is to have the Police show up and chase those guys down.

If you call the Police FIRST, then it helps your case much more, because then they can establish you were at least attempting to "restrain" yourself. But if you just come out shooting (doesn't look like they were trying to break into the home) then it simply makes you look bad in the eye of the courts.

Don't get me wrong - I personally feel this guy that what he did is his right, by "diffusing" the situation, and that it should be his right to do so - but hopefully he fired into soft ground and not the air (that's stupid).

edit on 24-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Now when they come back to burn him alive, it is going to be OK with the law, because he will not have anything to protect himself with. Why do you have gun permits and guns in Canada for if you are not allowed to protect your self with them when someone is trying to murder you?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
Why do you have gun permits and guns in Canada for if you are not allowed to protect your self with them when someone is trying to murder you?

Because guns were only invented for their use in vermin control and hunting, not this myth of "defending one's self..."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If this would have happened in the street, the attack being against a public building or something, the cops would have shot the masked men.

This man was just defending his life and property. They were throwing molotov cocktails and setting everything on fire! What was the house owner supposed to do? Just sit there and watch his house and pets burn? Is the police going to charge the other men too?

It wasn't vigilantism like they said, it was self defense.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Casandra because: Coma added

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Thats why he should have popped a couple of rounds in them. They were threating his home and family.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Thats the point they don't care about you us or anyone but them selves . As long as they go home a get cozy up in bed and go to sleep they get to do it over again in the am. Hmmm Lucky them.

Where on our own. Once we start to defend ourselves then they call you a vigilanty and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

Me, I will defend me my wife and my children. Once you set foot on my property and become threating in anyway. If mr black doesn't scare the crap out of you from his ability to close the gap sorta speak the lock and load up range will surely have you empting the contents of your bladder.

Live free or die.
This is the only way.

Or as they say is maine.
The way life should be.

I hear everyday of more an more crime. The poloticians don't talk about that. Hot topic I guess.

With all the states losing funding where do all the medicated psychos go. Well back into your community. Along with all the gang bangers and sex offenders.

Good Luck

Don't Tread On Me

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

At the cost of his dignity as a man, bullocks!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Wow! This is so simple. If your life is in danger you have a right to defend yourself. No wonder people make fun of Canadians so much in American TV. This is a good reason why. I'm not going to sit around and wait for my house to become ashes and let my dog get incinerated. Use common sense on this one. I thought American gun laws were retarded in some states. Here is a good quote from the simpsons, "I'm from Canada. They say i'm a little slow eyyy." When it comes to Canadian gun laws that is a true statement. Well, atleast the gun laws aren't as bad as Britains where the cops run and hide from criminals, because the criminal are the only ones with guns. Any opposing option to this is null and void. Period. Everyone should have a gun like in the wild west and criminals would be too scared to rob your house, because they don't want to get shot. In fact in small rural towns nobody robs peoples houses because they know this to be true.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Well Frogs,
I come into this thread from having experience being a vigilante.
I beat a guy who raped a friend and was convicted for it.
I beat a guy who ran into my home wanting to beat the crap out of me and they let me go.
The law is a funny thing and whatever you do you should be aware of it and also understand and agree that its not always right and yet you can become a criminal overnight for doing what you think is right.......it might not be right in the eyes of a crackhead court.
I think I did humanity a service by messing up a rapehound.....unfortunately the courts thought I was the moron
I have met junkies and crackheads and the biggest crackhead I have ever met was the system.

To get back on topic....they do have discretion but most are hiding behind words and laws to keep them safe from other laws.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
there was a movie like that, where this crook went inside this guys house and tried to rob it. The owner comes out with a baseball bat and kills him. The owner goes to jail....srsly?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The real offense is to you and your logic. If someone , regardless of prior circumstances , comes on your property and throws Molotov cocktails at your house and other property ; how can it not be self defense, by whatever means to protect yourself and property ?? I don't care what country you live or what laws you've been coerced to believe in.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is why I chose to line in Missouri:

1) I can carry a loaded firearm anywhere with a few posted exceptions like federal and state buildings, where they serve alcohol and at a polling place as long as it is visible.

2) Almost anyone can get a CCW unless you are felon; and I have one.

3) I have the right to use deadly force to protect myself, my family and even a stranger if I witness the commission of a felony in progress.

4) I can use deadly force without question and have immunity from prosecution if someone unlawfully enters my home, vehicle or any temporary dwelling like a tent camper or hotel room. Under our law any intruder is assumed to be entering with the intent to harm you and you do not have to prove threat of any kind.

5) I can use deadly force to protect my property outside the home if I feel reasonably threatened and I do not have to retreat I can hold my ground. Further, if the person is in the commission of a felony like arson in the video I can shoot them dead with immunity from any civil suit for damages.

I would not live in a state or municipality with any other set of laws; I lived in Maryland for a while and applied for a CCW; despite being a combat veteran of Special Forces with 15 years of experience – I was deemed unqualified for a CCW permit based on lack of training!

I assure you there will only be one side to any such story here at my farm – mine; there will be no surviving witnesses, I assure you of that.

I love it here; it is still America.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
This was done in Canada and we have different gun laws.
I have found someone in my home once and laid a whooping on him without charges.
I agree with the authorities on this one...take his guns away.
This was an ongoing dispute with his neighbor and regardless of the situation...pulling a gun was a bad call on his part.
There is warranted force and unwarranted force....pulling a gun was not the right decision in my opinion.
We aren't Americans...our laws are different for a reason...if the first thing this guy thought of was to pull a gun then I am glad they have been taken away.

No offence to our gun toting American friends.
edit on 24-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

are you serious...so what are his options at this point? Wait till him, his house and his dogs are on fire? Rely on faith to keep him safe until authorities arrive? I really would love to hear how you would handle this situation if you don't mind sharing. Obviously there are several attackers so hes not likely to risk going out and getting in a fist fight outnumbered by people with Molotov cocktails...

So what are his option to protect himself? What will make the attackers leave or stop their assault on his property, person, animals?

Rely on the police? How does he know they will arrive before its too late?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
just one guys opinion here, but by the time you're sporting a ski mask and hurling gasoline bombs into an occupied residence you really oughta be at least half expecting to get shot at. i will say that for once its nice to hear of this kind of miscarriage of justice happening somewhere other than the US. so how come the RCMP didn't ride up and arrest these guys?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Laws are meant to be broken in the time of need!

If your wife is about to give birth do you go the speed limit to get to the hospital?

Just don't kill anyone when you're breaking them.

Better to be alive in jail then to be burned alive in a house.

edit on 24-1-2011 by lostinspace because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join