It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Jail After Protecting Home From Masked Attackers (with video footage)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
And in todays BIZZAREST news...Another story and video that has to be seen to be believed folks!

Man finds his property and his very life under absolute assault, by several masked men, hurling molotov cocktails at various structures, including his home and his dog's enclosure. Man arms himself, steps outside to repel the attackers. Fires off a couple of rounds. Suspects flee.

Then said homeowner takes the surveillance footage of the attack to local PD, hoping an investigation will take place and the intruders will be brought to justice.

Instead, what happens?

The HOMEOWNER is charged with "careless use of a firearm", has his guns and license SEIZED, and is facing JAIL TIME HIMSELF!

What on earth is going on in society today?!?

Be sure to view the video clip of the attack below, and weigh in whether you think this guy was justified in defending himself with a firearm or not!

His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.

The local Crown attorney’s office later laid a charge of pointing a firearm, along with two counts of careless storage of a firearm. The Crown has recommended Mr. Thomson go to jail, his lawyer said.

His collection of seven guns, five pistols and two rifles was seized, along with his firearms licence. Mr. Thomson said he lives in fear that his attackers will return and has taken to arming himself with a fire extinguisher.

Here is surveillance footage of the firebombing attack upon his property:

Read more: news.nationalpost.com...
edit on 24-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yeah, we can't even protect our own these days.

Somethin like that happens in my house I would try to put a couple of rounds in them too.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Just more and more ways our "law enforcement" is punishing innocent people and letting the real criminals go on there way. Really is pathetic and wrong.

If they threw a molotov at my dog, I would have came out with the intent to hit one of them with the bullets, not scare them away. Bet they would be running and screaming like little girls then. Cowards.
edit on 24-1-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
But the Bible says "turn the other cheek". Yeah right. The laws ore so screwed up that the real criminals have all these rights and exact procedures have to be followed otherwise they will walk free. The law abiding, tax paying citizen protects his property or family and gets aressted, put in jail en most likely get raped if you go to jail here.

Unbelievable

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
he needs larger guns now if anything, they may return with more force.
edit on 24-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Do you think there is a reason they bombed him? Every coin has 2 sides. Poor dog though, I have a Husky

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This was done in Canada and we have different gun laws.
I have found someone in my home once and laid a whooping on him without charges.
I agree with the authorities on this one...take his guns away.
This was an ongoing dispute with his neighbor and regardless of the situation...pulling a gun was a bad call on his part.
There is warranted force and unwarranted force....pulling a gun was not the right decision in my opinion.
We aren't Americans...our laws are different for a reason...if the first thing this guy thought of was to pull a gun then I am glad they have been taken away.

No offence to our gun toting American friends.
edit on 24-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidAsh

After being shot at they have a reason now.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think it's ridiculous that he's being charged, but I also don't think anyone should fire a gun at someone without the intention of hitting said target (article mentions that the shooter intentionally missed). You never know what's behind what you're aiming at (especially at night). Imagine, for example, that these tools brought along their little brother for the 'fun' and said kid got killed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's right to charge the man at all or seize his weapons.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Maybe he wants to sleep in jail, especially in Canada. It is probably safer.

+30 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidAsh

Yes, the story says they are on opposing ends of a neighoring dispute. He killed one of their chickens who kept venturing into his yard.

But even so, it does not justify coming over onto anothers property, masked, and trying to burn down their house and kill their animals on THEIR property.

Neighbor disputes are often times quite nasty, but this escalated to a whole other level.

If a person whose home is being fire-bombed by multiple masked assailants doesn't have the right to defend his life with a firearm, I really don't know who does.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Oh my , so he kills a chicken, they burn his house, he shoots at them, and then ..he gets arrested. Seems like justice is served.

My dog would have eaten that chicken anyways.

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

This was an ongoing dispute with his neighbor and regardless of the situation...pulling a gun was a bad call on his part.
There is warranted force and unwarranted force....pulling a gun was not the right decision in my opinion.

Pulling a gun to fend off people with firebombs is a bad decision? Was he supposed to just ask them nicely? Maybe he didn't like that dog anyway? I'm sorry, but he used more restraint than necessary by taking the video to the police, I would have pursued them and ended th threat permanently!

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You must be joking. If someone was trying to burn YOUR house down and kill YOUR dog and it didn't look like they were going to stop any time soon, and you happened to have some guns laying around, would you shoot, or call the police? Think about having YOUR life and property on the line. Would you sit around and wiat for the cops, or take action and defend your territory? Think about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes it was a bad call.
He could have just called the fire dept and police and let things play out themselves.
Grabbing a gun should be the last resort.
Remember...this happened in Canada and we aren't as forgiving of gunplay as other nations.
He took the law into his own hands when he had the option of calling authorities.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by albinoblacksheep92

I have had my life and property on the line before and used force but not anymore force then I had to use....a gun would have got me charged.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Hmmm..ok.

This is a question for you - but also to anyone else that will agree with the authorities on this (and I'm sure there will be some).

First lets put together what we can glean from the video and article.

From the article we know this happened in rural SW Ontario. The rural area seems confirmed by the video - ie tractors and other equipment about, the rural looking setting, etc.

1. It often takes police longer to respond to a rural area due to distances involved. This is as true in rural Ontario as it is most rural places and if you like I can supply sources that state this. So,it will likely take quite some time for police to arrive.

2. Let's continue to address time. If you notice the clock in the video. It happens over the course of 2 minutes. In those two minutes there are at least 2 people visible that are screaming obscenities and throwing multiple firebombs at your house (with your in it) and your pets. You can no doubt see the flames on your house and smell the burning. All the while the people outside are screaming and throwing more bombs.

3. If we assume the clock is correct it all started about 6:30am. Given that the guy was still in his underwear he very may have just been awoken by this. So, he was may have been panicked and sleepy.

Ok - you are the guy. You know facts one two and three from above. The guys outside are screaming curses at you and lighting another firebomb to throw, meanwhile the house you are in is on fire!!!!

What do you do? What's the correct response here? Even if you call the police - what after that? Remember - it may take them quite some time to arrive. In a situation like this lots can happen in a short time.

Remember - everything is happening very quickly so your first thought may be the one you'd end up going with if you were in this man's shoes.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Frogs because: added a bit more

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I actually respect your stance on this and commend you for your self-restraint, as I am not an advocate of violence either.

BUT, that being said, I have to agree with Frogs on this one.

By the time the PD and FD arrived, this guy and his pets could have all been incinerated and killed, and he was dealing with MULTIPLE attackers, so a "lesser" form of defense may well have cost him his life here.

Again, I do not advocate violence, but I do feel that ANY individual whose life is under threat has the right to defend themselves and their property by any means necessary, when faced with the possibility of being killed by assailants.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

reply to post by albinoblacksheep92

I have had my life and property on the line before and used force but not anymore force then I had to use....a gun would have got me charged.

wow.. than your a sad human I hope the SDHTF for us all.. I'd hate to have you for back up.. I would have blown all seven of them away.. and still had half a clip left.

Canada gun laws don't help much as I've read Google is your friend..

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes it was a bad call.
He could have just called the fire dept and police and let things play out themselves.
Grabbing a gun should be the last resort.
Remember...this happened in Canada and we aren't as forgiving of gunplay as other nations.
He took the law into his own hands when he had the option of calling authorities.

Fair enough. Your laws are your laws, and your beliefs are your beliefs. I won't criticize.

As for me, I would have found my quiet little .22, picked them off one at a time, if they got too close, I have the pistol grip 12 guage for that, and if any got away, I have the Kimber 1911 that conceals nicely, and I would have taken a walk back to their house. I don't consider it violence, I consider it pest control, or removal of a threat. No way I call the police, let the situation escalate even further, or allow them the opportunity to catch me not prepared. If I knew who they were, I would have ended it permanently that very night. Canada or not, my family's life is worth defending at all costs. Pursuing and killing someone who threatens their life is just a proactive way of defending them at all costs. Everyone like a proactive approach don't they?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join