It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study reveals: Meditation Changes Brain Structure in Eight Weeks!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I used to use Aura Suma meditation. It works with colours for healing.

I had tried other types of meditation but I found working with the soothing colours much easier to relax and find my peaceful self.

I really must go back to doing it again as I know it was very benefical for me!!

Thanks for posting

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
I've always wanted to meditate... Is it something that can be learned on one's own? Any book suggestions?

Try here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
I've always wanted to meditate... Is it something that can be learned on one's own? Any book suggestions?

There's alot of stuff floating around, but meditation really isn't always some Buddhist sitting with his legs crossed.

Books and stuff can give good advice, but there really isn't a set way. Do what you feel is right

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
2 years of meditation has brought me incredible change. with the practice of qigong too, i believe that it is possible to become enlightened (third eye chakra opening), &/or reach buddhahood...in this lifetime. a wise man makes best use of his time.

put your mind to it!

dissolve the ego
edit on 24-1-2011 by survival because: to stress importance of selflessness

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is an interesting video about meditation and brain flow during meditation. Blood flow seems to increase to the frontal lobes during meditiation:
www.youtube.com..." frameborder="0" allowFullScreen>

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raven_Heart
You know, I would really like to make meditation a part of my daily routine, but something strange happens to me when I try to meditate...I close my eyes and try to relax, but suddenly I start to freak out, like something in my instinct is yelling at me to open my eyes, or something really bad could happen. It's a terrifying feeling, and it makes me more and more frustrated every time I try to meditate. Using binaural beats is out of question, it's instant terror. Any advice from experienced meditators?

You might try yoga nidra which is a "laying down" still guided meditation "yoga" - you can find free clips on you tube. They work you through your body from one side to the other, if you like this there are CDs you can order through amazon. Voice might be helpful. You may also start with counted meditations, breathe in 4, hold 4, breathe out 4, hold 4. You may need something to focus on. There are many methods and purists. It is ok to find your own way. My new Qi Gong instructor had us look at the flame of a candle for 5 minutes, that was nice, different. Don't feel pressured. A count of 10 squared breaths, or 5 minutes to start . . . is a good start! I want to commend - and compliment you that you try despite the fact it is frightening. Just peeling an orange, noticing all the sensations or the smell - and being totally in that moment is a form of meditation. There are so many ways of doing this! Keep trying you will find your way.

edit on 24-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's my belief that people who will be most impacted by meditation most effectively are children or those who've recently had "peak experiences" . What works best for me may not work best for others, but as a child I would get into the closet, and induce sensory deprivation by putting my hands over my ears and closing my eyes. Pretty sure that's why I'm so self-aware and process in parallel easily all these years later. It's not all giggles though, high self-awareness/empathy is both a gift and curse. Still, I believe mindfullness should be a component in everyone's healthy lifestyle to the extent that they are currently feeling unwell. It won't fix everything if you've got serious issues, but is certainly a huge boost for most, it seems.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Thankyou for this thread Gypsy. Meditation studies are not new, but I am glad they keep popping up in the media. It is a wonderful practice and there are so many modalities.
My favorites are:
Qi Gong
Squared breathing - 4 count in, 4 count hold, 4 count out, 4 count hold
Walking meditation
Looking into clear water - you can use a bowl - I have a beautiful river I watch
Watching the sun and gentle breeze filtering through tree leaves (while laying down looking up)
I made a discovery - if I draw a nice hot bath . . . and sink all the way down in over my ears, I can really hear my breath work, even my heart beat - of course don't fall asleep! But it was an interesting discovery. The warm water is wonderful on a winter day - throw in some epsom salt - bliss!
I like the brain beat CDs too, on stereo headphone
Sunset sungazing
This tiny gem:
Breathe deeply in (from your tummy)
Breathe out say in your mind "Relax"
Breath out say in your mind "Let go"
Breathe out say in your mind "I am calm"

Some might not think of all of these things as meditation practices, but once your brain gets used to "going in the zone" you can tap it with a variety of methods. I have even been in formal mindfulness and pain management meditation groups run by the VA . . . really . . . meditation is superior to any medications(pills) for me anyway.

I think this is sosososososososo underated in Western cultures. I wish they would teach this to children, because even children benefit. So much arguing about prayer . . . so silly.
Just moments of silence and reflection (with or without a spiritual mantra or prayer) is a beneficial human activity.
I have a blood pressure cuff and I can change my readings, really - I can breath down to a low pressure reading.

I Love it, I encourage all!
The book the "Relaxation Response" is a good read on the subject across culture. Pick it up, you'll see they "studied" this brain change a couple decades ago at Harvard!
edit on 24-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: clarity

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

YES!!!!!
Maybe that was my "bath tub" discovery . . . sensory deprivation!
This might be why others find headphones and closed eyes work.
Or voice to concentrate on - you bring up a good point, there is an element of sensory deprivation in meditation.

You are so right - kids benefit too!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Can't say enough about daily meditation. No religious beliefs necessary. It is an excellent tool for quieting the mind of it's consistent chatter. And we all need a break from that whether we know it or not. But there's so much more.
It can be done sitting, laying, reclining, and even standing. It's well worth the effort to learn.

I also use binaural beats at times, as well as isochronic tones. But usually, I just hold my focus on my third eye and go into the theta state and stay there a while.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I recently started meditating and the first couple times I could feel an energy surround me with a feeling of relaxation. Most of the times since I have been focusing on a higher state of consciousness but I havent found much luck. But I am always lost in deep thought with little room for new ideas. I think that part of the problem is allowing in to much negative energy partly by reading news and alternative news. Ive thought about turning it all off for a while but im addicted to learning new information and trying to process it. I also thought about trying a shaman journey but im kinda of scared that I might upset God I do not want to border sacrelige.

Ive read a lot about it things like that a shaman can see pure energy and leave his body.

Traveling to the spirit world.

Even taking on the body of an animal.

Flying in the spirit flight of the crow

Its interesting stuff.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Excellent links, thanks fort sharing. I should definitely get back into the habit of meditating daily.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I am so glad you posted this as by strange coincidence I have recently had several conversations with different friends about the changes I've noticed since I began to increase the time I meditate each day. Whereas before, I meditated for no longer than 15-20mins, I now meditate every morning for at least an hour whilst I read the Dailies on-line.

These changes have manifested themselves in the following ways:-

1) I have always had high EI but my empathy skills have become more finely honed.
2) Increased compassion, understanding and tolerance of human foibles.
3) I have always felt a great affinity with animals but of late they sense and respond positively to whatever the meditation has kick-started. For example, a friend's cat that is normally totally indifferent to me the other evening was clamouring for my attention and would not leave my side. Whilst, all of my friends cats look at me incredibly intensly as though they can perceive something not preceptible to the human eye.
4) I am one of those fortunate individuals to whom people have always been kind to. Again, I have noticed an upsurge in friends, family and strangers that have literally bombarded me with kindnesses that have truly touched my heart.
5) I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and although mentally I have always been strong, meditation has helped me take a balanced and rational view of my illness. Also, it has given me the fortitude to deal with the indignities I have had to suffer as a result of the illness.
6. Finally, an overall heightened sensitivity and emotional awareness.

So far so good, I look forward to each day to discover what further positive surprises await me.
edit on 24-1-2011 by BIGMOUTHSTRIKESAGAIN because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2011 by BIGMOUTHSTRIKESAGAIN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out soon.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

'Meditation for dummies', literally an idiot's guide but in layperson's terms, hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the good info GypsK. I really can't meditate at this time, due to the wonderful economy I have too many temporary roommates and no privacy. But when I do meditate I meditate to the sounds of the planets.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Thanks for the planets sounds, just played them simultaneously and it is a veritable ambient symphony-extraordinary.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGMOUTHSTRIKESAGAIN

Thats why I use them they're beautiful and naturally occurring. Here's our home
it's got some ugly confused and disjointed sounds, along with some beauty. Some people swear by Binaural but I'm not too trusting on sounds made by other people.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Definitely going to be trying more of this. Thanks for the new info.
S+F

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
i recommend meditation for everyone. The simplest explanation for meditation is to be aware of your own awareness, conscious of your consciousness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join