It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever tried fighting while dreaming..?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Could it be possible that our dreams are programmed like a computer setting. Ok i know it sounds silly, and it probably is..but how many of you members have been dreaming, and for some reason you end up in fight.
Your trying your best to take a swing at this guy...you can,t...well i can,t, its as if your mind is programmed as (NO VIOLENCE) default...has anyone else had this kind of experience...?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

I've had fights in dreams but I can't move fast, like ridiculously slow, if I manage to land a blow it's a weak powerless punch or kick, so violence is allowed on my options but the settings are set real low so low as to be ineffective.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The reason that you sometimes have trouble moving while dreaming is actually quite simple.

This can happen when you are running, or trying to fight, or other very physical action.

When you are laying in bed, your body is hindered in it's movement abilities greatly by having a big flat object on your body.

When you try to move, the bed is there preventing you from moving.

This is translated into the dream world, as slow motion movement.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I sometimes do end up in fights while dreaming, but I always wake up before the end of the fight. It could be a reminder of fights never end, as in struggles.

Even though I do fight, they never feel violent or anything like it. They could be faux fights.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I can't ever remember even trying to take a swing at someone in my dreams. I guess I'm on a reeeeaaalllllllllly low setting.
edit on 22/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yeah, now that you mention it, I noticed that when SHTF in my dreams, everything becomes slow. Even running away from that guy with a knife.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

When you are laying in bed, your body is hindered in it's movement abilities greatly by having a big flat object on your body.

Dude while my gf may be a little on the flat side she is far from big and no way would she be able to hinder me in a fight.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The best guess, IMO, about physical performance failures in dreams (not just fights, but running, walking, really anything that involves making big movements of the voluntary muscles) is dream incorporation, searchable.

That is, an element of your actual situation becomes part of the plot of your dream. In this case, it is possible that you become aware that you really can't move your arms and legs freely, because of the muscle "paralysis" that naturally accompanies rapid eye movement sleep. So, the story of your dream incorporates this factual situation.

There is nothing about fighting, as such, that is forbidden. If you read this section faithfully, then you can see that there are plenty of dreams that involve mayhem and physical chastisement. Just last night, I outmaneuvered a prisoner who wanted a fight and subdued him decisively.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
No i never do, the world is full of garbage and let it be. I will be passive all my life and even in my dreams.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
The reason that you sometimes have trouble moving while dreaming is actually quite simple.

This can happen when you are running, or trying to fight, or other very physical action.

When you try to move, the bed is there preventing you from moving.

This is translated into the dream world, as slow motion movement.

Ahhh... no.

Or explain why I often wake up with damaged fists or feet after swinging relentlessly into the wall and making contact. the bed has nothing to do with it.

I think it is more to do with the fact our bodies are under perceived stress but physically we are immobilised by the half dream state we enter. We would otherwise punch and kick like crazy in every dream, or grab and hold - a very dangerous trait.

we are rendered immobile while dreaming, but when we perceive physical danger our bodies come to a sense of awareness that despite us still dreaming, we enter the more awake state, hypnagogia and we find ourselves paralysed.

I know I've had lusic dreams where I've tried to perform certain activities, but I just cannot. Running, fighting, even things I want to do... the lethargic state renders me almost like a drug would.

But after years of these dreams, I've now accepted the submit state of mind, and the panic (in the more sxtreme dreams) goes away..... allowing me to experience the absolute horror my god damned brain inflicts on my semi concious being .... ugh... frontal lobe lobotomy plox...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
No i never do, the world is full of garbage and let it be. I will be passive all my life and even in my dreams.

Thats sweet. but not how your subconscious works. Or we'd all dream of riding flying unicorns and winning the lotto.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I do not dream about winning lotto either, there is a saying in life be careful what you wish for. Its very true.

My attitude in life is i have no interest in money or females, and i am passive all my life. What happens deep down may be turmoil like all people, but thats me on the surface.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I remember of a dream I had some years ago, when I was about 16-17. That night I fought three people, killing them all in different manners: before that dream, every time I was involved in a (dream) fight, the end was always bad for me and the result was an immediate awakening, like others have experienced here. But not THAT night: while dreaming, I lucidly took the command of my dream and decided NOT to awake and to kill all my enemies. Well, I did it and in a very violent way, without weapons but only with my (bloody) hands. My movements were fast and I was absolutely not scared of my opponents. The most interesting thing is that AFTER that dream I never dreamt again of violence, fighting or scary things... never. My guess is that something inside my sub-conscious un-blocked and I've gained a status of tranquility since then. Excuse my english but I tried my best to describe my experience.

edit on 22-1-2011 by Emanuele_C because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I'm not sure I agree with the sleep paralysis explanation for why we can't move during dream fights.

My theory is simply that, if you are not a violent person deep down inside, your subconscious will reflect that quality in your dreams. Even when the situation appears appropriate for violence, your subconscious won't 'allow' you to be violent because it knows there is a more civilized way to handle the situation.

Same could go for running away from something in fear. I think our subconscious is aware that there is a better way to handle the situation and won't allow us to react irrationally. In dreams, our subconscious has far more control over how we react to things than it does in the waking world.

The only time I have ever been able to fight in my dreams is when I get attacked first. I am able to defend myself but I am never able to make the first move.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yes, it seems that way for most people, slow ineffective punches thrown, trying to run away is like trying to run underwater. I only remember fighting like a super hero once.....it was a dream I had as a 5 year old, I was in some sort of "league" of crime fighters, all made up of young kids. We were beating the stuffing out of full grown adults, lol, I was pulverizing what looked to be a guy in his 30's, I remember a he had a full beard and was blonde and towered above me. It was so easy in that dream, I expertly beat that guy silly, us kids were dropping them and all I remember was feeling exhilarated and totally in control. I had a close friend tell me on several occasions that as children we have the natural ability to actual take flight, he mentioned paralysis and sometimes getting "stuck" on the "other" side, having difficulty getting back into one's body, hence the paralysis. One time as a young teenager I had a nightmare that I was unable to run from a frightening monster, so instead I realized it was a dream and quickly manufactured a death ray by just thinking it into that reality and the creature was promptly destroyed. The key is to realize one is dreaming, and to take control in clever ways.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eladria

The only time I have ever been able to fight in my dreams is when I get attacked first. I am able to defend myself but I am never able to make the first move.

The same happened in the dream I've described above: the three guys stopped me and attacked me and my family. At that point I decided that it was time to react. As I've reacted in a very brutal way, well, I think I'm a "little" bit primitive being, afterall.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by union_jack
Could it be possible that our dreams are programmed like a computer setting. Ok i know it sounds silly, and it probably is..but how many of you members have been dreaming, and for some reason you end up in fight.
Your trying your best to take a swing at this guy...you can,t...well i can,t, its as if your mind is programmed as (NO VIOLENCE) default...has anyone else had this kind of experience...?

gotta say i'm quite the opposite from your experiences...
perhaps every other week, while dreaming, i get into a predicament such as traveling
through a dark & sinister neighborhood...or just air-surfing by on a levitating skateboard
(ala' 'Back To The Future')
and bad men, demons,zombies, criminals, robbers & that sort of people start attacking me for some
unknown reason... i go into Karate mode..kick butt, Karate chop the gang or whatever

and i know this is sure & true because i wake myself by kicking or slamming into the bedroom walls

Other times i'm like in a stand-up club, or perhaps a boardroom, i either hear or sometimes tell
a joke that awakes me because i'm laughing loud enough to wake the others in the house.

I'm not really sure these are considered REM sleep episodes.
they could be Lucid Dreams...
They even could be Astral Projections...

No, my dream scapes realities are not slow motion, like a molasses thick environment, neither are
these experiences super-fast... they are realistic speed and realistic outcomes and luckily i have
not been beheaded or dismembered as Yet...but have been close in several dream incidents

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by badw0lf

I do not dream about winning lotto either, there is a saying in life be careful what you wish for. Its very true.

My attitude in life is i have no interest in money or females, and i am passive all my life. What happens deep down may be turmoil like all people, but thats me on the surface.

You sure make an effort to keep that persona.

Most people wouldn't have issues with money or the opposite sex, or the same sex... unless they were trying to suppress something. Not saying you are, but... it just appears you spend a lot of energy being the you, you want to be, instead of just being YOU. By telling the world you're not into chicks, you confirm it to yourself? Weird.

Anywhats... I have interest in women, blokes, ridiculous animals etc, I don't have to tell myself about things.. If I were batting for the other team, I rekon johnny depp would be super.
But then I just cant drag myself away from the likes of kiera knightly or ali larter... But enough of what I think...

My point was, you may want to believe you will have no dreams beyond your control, but how you dream will always be out of your control. Always.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

I've had fights in dreams but I can't move fast, like ridiculously slow, if I manage to land a blow it's a weak powerless punch or kick, so violence is allowed on my options but the settings are set real low so low as to be ineffective.

wow i have the same problem i ad always this question in my mind its happening just to me or for
everyone else ^^ guess now i have the answer nice tread
)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've had similar dreams. I couldn't look directly at the opponents because it was so bright and I had to close my eyes. When I tried to hit them I couldn't because I was like a feather. So weak and so slow. It felt like I was floating. I couldn't run away either because of that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join