It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New College Fraternity thread

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think merging would be the wierdest thing to do if you were there. You would have to tell all your secrets to the absorbee but the absorbee won't have to reveal anything just show up. I wouldn't like it at all and try to stop it at all cost. Why should a big fraternity take in a struggling one and support them.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I found this picture of an SAE ritual robe.

Does others have robes like this?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by qwerty99
I think merging would be the wierdest thing to do if you were there. You would have to tell all your secrets to the absorbee but the absorbee won't have to reveal anything just show up. I wouldn't like it at all and try to stop it at all cost. Why should a big fraternity take in a struggling one and support them.

I don't think it would be as weird as you would expect. Yes, it would be a little dissapointing if your fraternity folded but those who take over operations are very professional and understand the trying time. There are different occurrences when mergers occur.

First, the former fraternity is initiated into the new fraternity. Second, the new fraternity allows some form of the old fraternity to continue as homage and respect. This could be using part of the old ritual as an optional ceremony, placing a symbol of the old fraternity into the coat of arms of the new fraternity.

Your attitude on trying to stop a merge would be a common one, but that's exactly the attitude that leads a fraternity to go belly up. One of the things you have to remember is that all fraternities (except locals) benefit college men and have them strive to become excellent individuals. It would be in the fraternity's interest, and also in the founder's to continue the objective by merging and allowing men to continue on the journey.

A large fraternity usually merges with a struggling fraternity. It's most common and the natural progression is that most of those remaining chapters will fail. But the large fraternity has the resources that the smaller fraternity doesn't have to help and support those chapters. Accepting the chapters creates growth for the large fraternity with established chapters. It costs a lot to to create colonies and having established chapters would save this expense.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtdfever1

Originally posted by alias101
Does anyone know anything about the Beta Theta Pi fraternity?

Yeah, please don't put stuff like this on here. We head a heck of a lot of trouble from the board president about this. One post, instead of being take down by the bosses, cleans the whole topic. I would hate to have to start over. You can u2u this kind of stuff.

[edit on 11-15-2005 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I found this picture of an SAE ritual robe.
Does others have robes like this?

This also goes for the pictures. We all know where to find these. And if you don't you can u2u someone.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

As for fraternities, if we went through that system, we wouldn't have any members. It's hard to get people to join mostly because the good members are the ones who don't want to be in a fraternity and the bad ones are the ones who do want to be in a fraternity.

Every school is different. dtd, I agree with you that the sorority rush system probably is not the best system to use. I also don't agree with the bid rush system that most large colleges use to recruit. Your school seems like it has a good system as long as it's not tainted with dirty recruiting (beer and bad mouthing)

It's important for there to be a year round recruitment system, but I have never seen anyone really pull this off. I would be great to see a chapter who pulls in 2 members a month throughout the school year. For example, you could get a 30 man pledge class and first semester you could add 8 more quality guys and then another 8-10 second semester. Makes things a lot easier because you know these guys are quality compared to guys who show up to parties before school starts.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991

It's important for there to be a year round recruitment system, but I have never seen anyone really pull this off. I would be great to see a chapter who pulls in 2 members a month throughout the school year. For example, you could get a 30 man pledge class and first semester you could add 8 more quality guys and then another 8-10 second semester. Makes things a lot easier because you know these guys are quality compared to guys who show up to parties before school starts.

I don't know about other campuses or fraternities in general, but I know at my campus, all the Panhel sororities that weren't at total after recruitment had the option of continuous open bidding (COB) throughout the school year. Total is set by our Greek life office based on the number of members in each house and the number of girls going thru rush, to regulate membership, so numbers stay fair. So say if campus total is 90 for that year, and a house only has 75 total members after formal recruitment, they could recruit girls after recruitment ends, (girls they meet in class, friends of new members, etc). If its a couple weeks after rush when they sign their bid card, they can usually be included in the same rush class as those we get thru recruitment. If we bid them in the middle of the semester, we hold them over until the next pledge class. I have also heard of fraternities holding guys over for a semester, for instance if they don't get many pledges thru spring rush they might hold them over to fall to have one bigger class. However I am not sure if a fraternity has the same COB system we have. I think usually if they meet a cool guy after the pledge program has begun, they encourage him to hang around and bid him with the next pledge class. I should also mention that my campus has formal recruitment in the fall for all houses, and informal in the spring which is optional for houses not at total. How does everyone else do it? Does anyone else know how the Panhellenic rush system works at their school?

[edit on 25-7-2004 by nikkerbokker]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey all-

I am wondering if anyone has heard of/can recommend other sites on the topic of fraternity/sorority rituals. I'm not looking for the Chi O secrets page and stuff that are meant to shed a negative light on houses, I mean sites similar to ours offering intelligent insight into the background of specific GLOs. Discussion groups or boards like this one have been one of my best resources for researching this topic, and when I talk to people on other boards I usually refer them to this site. Anyway just wondering if anyone has a site or 2 to contribute. I'm sure the people who pass through this board looking for info would appreciate it too (and hopefully leave some input of their own!)

Thanks!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hey, this is public but still interesting...

kiowa.colostate.edu...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Does anyone here have access to RATS, and if so can you please let me know if there is any (relevant) info pertaining to this topic there?
Thanks

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Can't say I have heard of RATS. Please update us if you hear anything.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Slick RATS is a section of this site that u have to "purchase" once you have enough ATS points. Sadly I dont have enough so I don't have access. However the site supposedly contains similar content to the rest of ATS but it doesnt appear in search engines searches or something. Anyone know any more?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I took down the picture of the SAE robe. Since it's public, on the internet, where you can buy the stuff if you want, I have decided to post the link.

Let me know if anyone is going to buy any of this stuff. It's kind of expensive.

www.greekmarketplace.net...

You can buy the whole Sig Ep ritual equipment and have your own ceremony in your living room!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkerbokker
Hey all-

I am wondering if anyone has heard of/can recommend other sites on the topic of fraternity/sorority rituals. I'm not looking for the Chi O secrets page and stuff that are meant to shed a negative light on houses, I mean sites similar to ours offering intelligent insight into the background of specific GLOs. Discussion groups or boards like this one have been one of my best resources for researching this topic, and when I talk to people on other boards I usually refer them to this site. Anyway just wondering if anyone has a site or 2 to contribute. I'm sure the people who pass through this board looking for info would appreciate it too (and hopefully leave some input of their own!)

Thanks!!!

Here's some:

sigepsouth.org...

www.phigam.org...

sigepsouth.org...

mill-valley.freemasonry.biz...

www.rossisuperstore.com...

These are some interesting sites.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
What do you guys think about those other posted topics. I can't really defend those sorority women. I can't believe what that one wrote about in the school paper. I can't believe the editor allowed that to print.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

www.greekmarketplace.net...

Oh, that's interesting. It looks like it links right into the badge site:
www.burrpatt.com...

Here's the other major badge manufacterer:
www.mastersofdesign.com...

So is it possible for people to just order badges directly if they so desire?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here's an editorial by Jenny Marinko, a ZTA at Mizzou.
www.mustudentnews.com...

Note the comments about the traditionally black sororities: " I know there has been a lot of talk in the Greek community about getting NPHC involved with our activities. Personally, I really don�t want them to be involved with our events.... Why don�t these sorority women stay in their little worlds and stay out of ours."

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A few months ago, a sophomore member of Gamma Phi Beta made headlines for sending out an email to her sisters pushing them to donate blood for Greek Week. "I don�t care if you got a tattoo last week LIE. I don�t care if you have a cold. Suck it up. We all do. LIE. Recent peircings? LIE," her e-mail said. Problem was, a copy accidentally got sent to someone on a newspaper staff who wasn't part of the sorority. It got published, and people got rather dismayed. (Yes, the sender seemed like a 60-watt bulb.) Anyhow, the Red Cross ended up destroying all the donations from Gamma Phi Beta in Mizzou's Greek Week blood drive. www.columbiatribune.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by conflation
Here's an editorial by Jenny Marinko, a ZTA at Mizzou.
www.mustudentnews.com...

Note the comments about the traditionally black sororities: " I know there has been a lot of talk in the Greek community about getting NPHC involved with our activities. Personally, I really don�t want them to be involved with our events.... Why don�t these sorority women stay in their little worlds and stay out of ours."

Like I mentioned before. I can't believe the school allowed this pretty much racist column to be published. I can't believe there are still racist people like this. Black fraternities and sororities are an important part of our greek community and should be brought up not put down. It sickens me how that the black sorority has acted, but it seems like a two way street (I'm conlcuding that the traditional sorority probably did something to deserve it) since it was written biasedly I guess we won't know.

What kind of school has greeks who fight each other? I haven't seen this kind of stuff before.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by conflation
A few months ago, a sophomore member of Gamma Phi Beta made headlines for sending out an email to her sisters pushing them to donate blood for Greek Week. "I don�t care if you got a tattoo last week LIE. I don�t care if you have a cold. Suck it up. We all do. LIE. Recent peircings? LIE," her e-mail said. Problem was, a copy accidentally got sent to someone on a newspaper staff who wasn't part of the sorority. It got published, and people got rather dismayed. (Yes, the sender seemed like a 60-watt bulb.) Anyhow, the Red Cross ended up destroying all the donations from Gamma Phi Beta in Mizzou's Greek Week blood drive. www.columbiatribune.com...

Once again, this is what happens when there is competition among greeks. Someone obviously wasn't thinking about the big picture or about their sorority values. Hopefully that girl paid the price.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join