It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New College Fraternity thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
After many suggestion, I have created a Greek Issues Discussion Forum on Yahoo so we can have an open conversation concerning things without fear of getting kicked off. It is by invitation only so I have to accept those who want into the group. I will be checking things often so you should be able to get on there quick.

Hopefully this message stays up. If not, I will post again.

[edit on 9/3/04 by slickwilly95991]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There is also live chat there

You need a Yahoo ID to get onto the forum

[edit on 8/18/04 by slickwilly95991]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkerbokker
Seriously though everyone, check out the thread that conflation posted, and tell me how you would feel to see one of your members doing something like that AND associating her letters with it
(you have to read ahead a few posts, and her/MY letters are in her signature, I am 99% sure you will know which post I'm referring to) What would your house have done to a member like that it, if anything? Obviously what a member does in his/her own time is their business, we're all consenting adults here, but I find it to be very bad taste to consciously associate the behavior and your org. If you're gonna do stuff like that, knock yourself out, but leave my sorority out of it!!!

To be honest, there are a lot of strange people out there, and it occurred to me that the poster may or may not actually be an SK. I mean, how hard is it to sign up on Greekchat and claim to be whatever you want to be? In fact, we don't know whether the person actually did what the post described - heck, there's no guarantee that the poster was even female! So I was inclined to take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by conflation
To be honest, there are a lot of strange people out there, and it occurred to me that the poster may or may not actually be an SK. I mean, how hard is it to sign up on Greekchat and claim to be whatever you want to be? In fact, we don't know whether the person actually did what the post described - heck, there's no guarantee that the poster was even female! So I was inclined to take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

Very true conflation, and I do find some comfort in that thought. Who knows with these internet weirdos

Still don't like seeing any references to gangbangs & my house though, regardless of if its true or not, ya know?

[edit on 24-8-2004 by nikkerbokker]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991
After many suggestion, I have created a Greek Issues Discussion Forum on Yahoo so we can have an open conversation concerning things without fear of getting kicked off. It is by invitation only so I have to accept those who want into the group. I will be checking things often so you should be able to get on there quick.

WOOHOO!!! I joined and am excited to get it started!!! Thanks for getting that going Slick. I have some more Q's about the group (never joined a Yahoo newsgroup before) concerning the discussion of rituals, but I will wait until you approve me as a member

I was happy to notice a lurker from ATS has signed up there. By all means, everyone out there, sign up & join the convo!!! A lot of us here are getting the same ol' stuff, so some new material would be nice to get too
Maybe/hopefully more people will find our group on Yahoo than on ATS, but that might be a bad thing too. Good thing its members only
or I worry we would get flamed!!!

[edit on 11-10-2004 by nikkerbokker]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991

groups.yahoo.com...

I've been there and it's a pretty good forum. I haven't written anything there yet, and there hasn't been much discussion on issues just yet, but it's promising. There are polls you can vote on and a lot of ritual trading if you are into that kind of stuff. I encourage everyone interested in this thread to see if you can get on. You have to be approved to see anything so you better know slick or make a good ploy to him. See you guys there.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I signed up today, hopefully I'll get accepted soon

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm guessing no one really looks at this site anymore since there hasn't been a post for so long. I guess everyone is at the group forum at

[edit on 9/3/04 by slickwilly95991]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well, I am. Seriously, it was probably a good idea - makes it less likely that Simon will get hassled by an irate group.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I still check here. apparently I have already made enemies on the yahoo group. sigh..... that was not my intention...sigh.....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't think so. One person seemed displeased with lots of people, but I think the group is still in the process of deciding what it wants to be. So disagreements may be an inevitable part of this.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I don't think so. One person seemed displeased with lots of people, but I think the group is still in the process of deciding what it wants to be. So disagreements may be an inevitable part of this.

I guess it will be a while til we smooth out all the wrinkles and weed out all the trolls. But I haven't been coming to ATS as much either.
Allie, you're not making enemies, you posted stuff that ruffled feathers but you fixed it, took down the objectionable materials etc so if someone is still your enemy, that's their problem because you're being cool.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtdfever1
Like I mentioned before. I can't believe the school allowed this pretty much racist column to be published. I can't believe there are still racist people like this. Black fraternities and sororities are an important part of our greek community and should be brought up not put down. It sickens me how that the black sorority has acted, but it seems like a two way street (I'm conlcuding that the traditional sorority probably did something to deserve it) since it was written biasedly I guess we won't know.

What kind of school has greeks who fight each other? I haven't seen this kind of stuff before.

This was written at Mizzou. My guess is that intelligence is not considered super-important during sorority Rush when houses are evaluating new pledges. It isn't that they make a point of looking for dumb people; it's just that appearance is valued more. Therefore, they end up getting people that write things that aren't very bright. (I mean, come on, what kind of reaction did this twit expect?)

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Potential new members must have a minimum GPA to even bother rushing. Usually it is well above the universities minimum to stay enrolled. Then the individual chapters can have an even higher GPA minimum if they want. All of the sorority national organizations have a minimum GPA to initiate. So, usually the women going through recruitment are pretty intellegent. The problem is-when you have 1,000 intellegent women going through and most of them have good extra currivular activities etc. you have to just judge based on what you se for those few days. Unfortunately it is usually 50% looks and 50% how you hit it off with the person you are talking to (personality). I don't think this is the best system at all and believe it needs huge revamping (and that is actually underway) but we are not just recruiting idiots.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Hello~

I'm new here. I hope everyone hasn't left this site! This is the first time I've been able to find like-minded individuals and interesting discussion.

If everyone's left I'll be forced to go back to the mind-numbing Greekchat. Please don't do that to me!

Not sure what else to post since I might just be talking to myself. I'll check back later.

Z

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Greekchat is mind numbing indeed. You may try to join the yahoo group "greekissues", I am also on yahoo messenger as sunshinekappa

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtdfever1
I found this picture of an SAE ritual robe.

Does others have robes like this?

SAE ritual robes are not, or must not be secret as the chapter at my school had their picture taken in the rush booklet with robes on.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The Sig Ep chapter at my school was in some form of regalia when I rushed...

Seemed a bit extravagent if it is not their ritual gear....

Going back to some issues I was reading from page 1 - here...

Black Organizations... Have no problem with them at all... a majority of them are nice, polite and interesting people. The Fraternity of Omega Psi Phi recently held a co-party with my "white" fraternity and it was an off the wall success... I wish it would happen more often.

Fraternity merging.... I don't know about any other GLO... but I CERTAINLY do not see my Order merging with anyone.... In many cases, I believe I'd rather be expelled.

NIC/NPHC in the South... Can't comment too much here, but I think the relationship between the two here is rather, friendly. We (my Order) gets beatdown at flag football by fraternity members from both Councils... Color makes no difference when you're running a victory lap around us, lol.

As for Sister Soroities... Ours is Phi Mu but rarely ever talk to them, muchless have an activities with them. It seems each soroity on campus prefers the company of one or two fraternities almost exclusively. We have alot of SK's visit, as well as a bunch of DG's. Now and again we have some very lovely PiPhi's and AD-Pi's drop in

As for Fraternity Men writing Sorority Ritual... well... here again I can comment very little except to say that I know ALOT of girls who cannot keep their ritual to themselves .... I am also aware that a brother in my Order (long ago) helped ZTA establish themselves... to what degree I cannot say.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by DasBaldDog]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I am based in the Uk so college fraternities are virtually non-existant, and are definitely not the norm.

However, I was given the possibilty of going to college in America due to sport achievements.

I looked into the college fraternity scene, both from the now and also the past. I have skimmed through the thread but can't find any reference to Crotonia. The first known college group to have selective membership, around 1738.

I believe it was in essence a debating society set up by students, in Yale, in rebuke to the daily roll calls on campus being conducted in descending order of the prominence of one�s family.

As I understand it Yale is one of the number one sources of avenues for the pursuit of prestige, networks, and friendship after this with two additional debating societies, Linonia and Brothers in Unity, sprang up in 1753 and 1768.

As I said being in the UK it is not a scene I have great exposure too and wondered if anyone closer to it could shed any light

[edit on 26/11/2004 by Bondi]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I go to school were there is a SAE chapter. There are a few guys that throw around their "phi alpha" password, or motto, or what ever it is all the time. What does it mean? The context it is sometimes used in makes me think it is fratrnity always? but then sometimes not. Does anyone have any insight. It makes me uncomfortable that I cant understand them. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join