It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New College Fraternity thread

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunshinekappa

Originally posted by nikkerbokker
One sorority even had their members sign a contract promising to have fake nails & blonde highlights done for rush, as well as tan at least twice per week before rush.

Once again, I would like to say this is the exception NOT the rule!There is also a difference between saying "anyone who wants to touch up her highlights before rush can get it done at yada yada for a discount" and "You MUST get highlights before rush at yada yada"....
Panhellenic also has a rule that no sorority can force its members to wear exactly matching outfits. They may wear similar, but not exactly matching. Any sorority doing this may be brought up on infractions and have to pay fines. Even at Old Miss, they might say-wear a button up white collared shirt, tucked in with a brown belt that has a silver buckle, brown closed toes leather loafers, khaki pants that are not jeans and are not capris and silver lavelier necklace." BUT they CANNOT say "wear this particular GAP white collard button up with these particular Banana Republic pants and these 9west shoes and belt and these Tiffanys earrings." They CAN NOT do that. Telling a girl with Shakira like roots "hey-you thinking about doing something about that before next week?" is different than "You will go get your hair done".

Sunshine, I didn't mean to imply I was speaking on behalf of all sororities on all campuses. I was trying to give non-sorority members insight to what it can be like. Obviously not all schools are the same, I assumed the people reading this post would realize and understand that. But from my experience, and speaking to friends at other schools, many are like that. I have also helped out at another chapter that doesn't even have chapter houses, and obviously their rush was a lot more laid-back. My school does NOT have a big Greek population, only a small percentage of the students are Greek, so we are very different than schools like Ole Miss, etc. However, we ARE an extremely superificial campus. And you're right, we can't tell girls "You have to wear this Gap skirt and this Express shirt" and I never claimed we did that. BUT they will have dress checks and make you get a new outfit if your pants aren't the same length/blue isn't the same shade/neckline is different, etc. And our VP membership will additionally throw in comments like "The Limited is having a sale on lavendar tops, if anyone still needs one" so of course several girls will go to the Limited, buy that shirt, and half our girls end up wearing the same clothes from the same stores anyway, without anyone telling them to. And I don't believe there are rules governing hair, makeup, etc. Maybe orgs can't tell their members flat-out to get their hair done, or to wear makeup, but then why do all the Alpha Alpha Alphas wear the same color eyeshadow or nailpolish during recruitment? Basically what I am saying is, Panhellenic has all these rules but girls find a way around them. For informal recruitment one year they had strict rules that no house could wear identical outfits. Similar color scheme was OK, but no "Pink top and black skirt with strappy heels" planned out outfits. They implemented all these rules to prevent the houses from going all out with the matching outfits. So we followed their rules: We had to wear pink, black and white, but top & bottom could not both be solid, you had to wear all 3 colors but only those 3 and at least one print. Trust me, when sorority girls want their members to look a certain way, not a lot will stop them. My house every year knowingly does things that will get us rush infractions. Sadly though we have to, to complete with everyone else who is also committing infractions.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkerbokker
And you're right, we can't tell girls "You have to wear this Gap skirt and this Express shirt" and I never claimed we did that. BUT they will have dress checks and make you get a new outfit if your pants aren't the same length/blue isn't the same shade/neckline is different, etc. And our VP membership will additionally throw in comments like "The Limited is having a sale on lavendar tops, if anyone still needs one" so of course several girls will go to the Limited, buy that shirt, and half our girls end up wearing the same clothes from the same stores anyway, without anyone telling them to. And I don't believe there are rules governing hair, makeup, etc. Maybe orgs can't tell their members flat-out to get their hair done, or to wear makeup, but then why do all the Alpha Alpha Alphas wear the same color eyeshadow or nailpolish during recruitment? Basically what I am saying is, Panhellenic has all these rules but girls find a way around them. For informal recruitment one year they had strict rules that no house could wear identical outfits. Similar color scheme was OK, but no "Pink top and black skirt with strappy heels" planned out outfits. They implemented all these rules to prevent the houses from going all out with the matching outfits. So we followed their rules: We had to wear pink, black and white, but top & bottom could not both be solid, you had to wear all 3 colors but only those 3 and at least one print. Trust me, when sorority girls want their members to look a certain way, not a lot will stop them. My house every year knowingly does things that will get us rush infractions. Sadly though we have to, to complete with everyone else who is also committing infractions.

Just out of curiousity, what are the consequences for not complying with this? I mean, what if a member said, "No, I'm not going to do that because it's a rush infraction?"

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by conflation

Just out of curiousity, what are the consequences for not complying with this? I mean, what if a member said, "No, I'm not going to do that because it's a rush infraction?"

Conflation, punishments for not having the required outfits for rush are usually fines, can be called to Standards (I believe most houses have something like our Standards committee, a small group of members that enforce our ideals. You might get called to Standards for being too drunk at an event, not turning in your study hours, etc) and lose social privileges. Of course if its a rush infraction they could rat us out to Panhellenic and we would get the infraction, but rush infractions just incur fines, since houses spend so much on rush anyway there's no big deal about another $50 fine tacked on. Missing a day of recruitment or recruitment practice also results in fines/loss of social events. If I remember right we fined members $100 for each day of rush missed for anything other than school. I don't know how other houses handle it.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Sorry I've been away for awhile. Work sucks right now.

I got done reading Pledged and I once again had a couple of comments.

I know a lot of us trade rituals and stuff, but it usually is a little more on academic side of things, but when Robbins inserts little secrets (like handshakes and passwords) don't they seem a little inappropriate? She tries to make it sound really odd (and maybe it is), but I think singing at church is odd (and maybe it is).

I also found it interesting how innocent things are perceived by outsiders. For example, date dashes and my-ties. Maybe it's not the same on other campuses, but when we would do either activity with sororities they would be alcohol free and they were really fun. I cannot comprehend how one could percieve this as overtly bad. It's not intended for "hooking up" purposes. We are trying to be sociable members which will help once we get out to the real world. I am still pretty introverted, but I can at least go and be somewhat sociable.

Anyway, every book I read I give a grade. I gave this book a C+. (I gave "Secrets of the Tomb" a B) Do you think that was too generous or not. In perspective, I gave the Da Vinci Code, Brothers Karamozov, and The Devils an A+, and gave all Micheal Moore books D's, Sean Hannity's second book a D, and Al Franken's book an F.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991

I know a lot of us trade rituals and stuff, but it usually is a little more on academic side of things, but when Robbins inserts little secrets (like handshakes and passwords) don't they seem a little inappropriate? She tries to make it sound really odd (and maybe it is), but I think singing at church is odd (and maybe it is).
Anyway, every book I read I give a grade. I gave this book a C+. (I gave "Secrets of the Tomb" a B) Do you think that was too generous or not. In perspective, I gave the Da Vinci Code, Brothers Karamozov, and The Devils an A+, and gave all Micheal Moore books D's, Sean Hannity's second book a D, and Al Franken's book an F.

Well, the secrets part in "Pledged" didn't especially bother me, but then again, I'm not Greek. As far as the books, A+ seems really generous for The Da Vinci Code, given all the factual mistakes. I loathe Sean Hannity, so I'd be inclined to rate Al Franken higher.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991

I also found it interesting how innocent things are perceived by outsiders. For example, date dashes and my-ties. Maybe it's not the same on other campuses, but when we would do either activity with sororities they would be alcohol free and they were really fun. I cannot comprehend how one could percieve this as overtly bad. It's not intended for "hooking up" purposes. We are trying to be sociable members which will help once we get out to the real world. I am still pretty introverted, but I can at least go and be somewhat sociable.

Yeah I agree Slick, I felt more disappointed than anything after I finished "PLedged" and felt as though the book offered little that I didn't already know. I was definitely thrown for a loop when I read the part of Pledged near the end when Robbins reveals a handful of sororities' secrets. When I bought the book I was expecting to see more stuff along those lines, pertaining to specific houses, not the anonymity and pseudonyms that the book is full of. But when I actually saw it in print I gasped, maybe just because it mentions a Sigma Kappa phrase (and I know I have said this once and I will say it again, what is in the book is NOT our closed motto as Robbins claims). But I get your point Slick. Robbins kind of portrays it like "Ohh this top secret organization will do this and this to its members if they spill secrets, but here it is!" as though she is blowing the cover off some huge dirty secret. Like I said, I knew most of the "secrets" in the book, so to display them as some kind of top secret, unusual and/or valuable information was almost comical to me. I suppose many people who weren't in houses feel that way if they "uncover" a grip or motto or something.
Same thing with the grab-a-dates, etc. While I can't say ours were always alcohol-free, they were usually at pizza places, etc where they do card so only the 21 and ups could drink. They are definitely not events held for the purpose of "hooking up". We would do our grab-a-dates after, say, a long meeting, or rush practice, as a way to reward our girls by going out to do something fun instead of staying at the meeting like everyone planned to do. They are always spontaneous and every one I have been to was on a school night, so no heavy partying there. Exchanges/mixers are more for the purpose of meeting new people in a new house, and having a great time doing so. Many rules have been imposed now regarding our exchanges: they have to be held off campus with busses (no one can drive their own car), they can have a bar but they have to check IDs and issue wristbands. Of course people drink, and people hook up, but that isn't the purpose of these mixers. Like Slick said, its just one more way Greek orgs reach out to meet new people, encourage members to be social & meet new people. Sadly though, that is usually overshadowed by accounts such as Robbins', who paints these to look more like drunken orgies than the innocent fun that they are intended to be. And in Pledged, at the sorority formal when Robbins' mentions members and their dates taking Ecstacy then sneaking off to a room to have sex. If one of our members was caught doing something like that, aside from the fact the rest of us would be mortified beyond belief at one of our sisters acting like that, there would be punishment and/or expulsion. So to anyone reading Pledged, please take Robbins' accounts for what they're worth, which is nothing more than an uninformed outsider looking in without getting the full story.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I just read the Sigma Delta Tau (sorority) ritual and I noticed a lot of relation to the first masonic degree. I read that it was written by a fraternity man (Nathan Caleb House) who was described as a creative writer, but nothing else is discussed about him. Does anyone know which fraternity this guy was from and whether he belonged to the masons?

All in all, I think it is a very poetic ritual.

Let me know if anyone knows anything...BUT I ALREADY KNOW SECRET STUFF AND IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE SAID HERE. SO PLEASE DON'T. THANKS.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Just in case any potential new members are reading this board, I'd like to tell everyone that the financial aspects of most groups are public knowledge and the money goes towards very specific things. I know my dues went to insurance, formal, food, housing, utilities, leadership confrences, programming, some social funstions, transportation etc. The books have to be immaculately kept and are audited by a committee once a year and by the national organization once a year as well as monthly reports that have to be filed. Administration costs as well are taken out of dues-stamps, letterhead, postage etc. we also offer scholarships and grants and emergency funds for members in need. All of these things come out of our dues. Most campus and professional organizations have dues that must be paid so that things can run smoothly. And I wish my campus gave a discount to us at the bars! Man, that would be nice. But alas, our well drinks costs the same!

Sunshine, glad you're here. Make yourself at home. I have enjoyed what you have said so far. That's funny, sunshine was my pledge name in undergrad.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Woe is me...my computer crashed the other day and I lost almost everything I had, including all my rituals. I had quite a collection going too!
Luckily Josh (qwerty) has been super cool about helping me recover most of them (THANKS JOSH!!!) but I doubt I'll ever recover every one I had. If I have traded with any of you, or if anyone just feels like being generous, PLEASE PLEASE feel free to help out & toss a few rituals my way.
I am so upset I lost all of them and any contributions would be sooo appreciated!

THANKS!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I was thinking it could be interesting to set up a Peer-to-Peer Network for something of this nature. If you're interested, send me a message - I don't want to get this thread deleted.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Anyone been on Greekchat.com. I really do not like it very much. The people on there are soooo exclusive. They are really not very nice to new comers. some have been very lovley but the majority that seem to rule the roost are not too palatable. Anyway, just wanted to say I enjoy the more mature academic mentality on this board and thank you for making me feel welcome.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Anyone been on Greekchat.com. I really do not like it very much. The people on there are soooo exclusive. They are really not very nice to new comers. some have been very lovley but the majority that seem to rule the roost are not too palatable. Anyway, just wanted to say I enjoy the more mature academic mentality on this board and thank you for making me feel welcome.

Sunshine I have been to GreekChat as well and absolutely agree with you on the exclusivity. I definitely feel ATS is a far more intellectual discussion. I searched Greek Chat looking for others who study rituals and the general feeling of that board is "Anyone who goes looking for other GLO's info is a bad person!" Well of course if someone just wants XYZ's secrets so they can post them all over campus, that's bad. The handful of us who honestly enjoy looking these rituals over, noting similarities, foundations, etc, aren't "bad" people, and its nice to be able to come to ATS and feel accepted. I have talked to a couple of very knowledgeable people on GreekChat but overall they're just young clique-y co-eds who will not hesistate to rip a newcomer's post to shreds. Luckily, we have a more mature crowd here, and as long as your posts are even slightly intelligent, we will gladly welcome any newcomers

And I personally am glad to have another sorority girl on board
No offense boys

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've been tempted to write a script/bot that would automatically make dumb posts to GC. It might be funny to see how worked up some of the regular users would get.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This may be a little off the subject, but has anyone else noticed that ATS censors out "Kappa Alpha Order" when you send a U2U? I sent one to myself to check it, and sure enough it blocks those words out. No other GLO name is blocked. I guess someone high up doesn't want their fraternity talked about.

Hehe, I even had to edit this... I spelled out KA Order in the quotes above, deleted it too.

Kappa Sigma... just checking to see if I was right.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by 71Vegas]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I figured out which one it was-hahahahah pretty funny!

[edit on 17-8-2004 by sunshinekappa]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Speaking of GC, here's a funny thread:
www.greekchat.com... hp?s=83abc595eb9b32eb20acebeefc1b4e79&threadid=55255
It apparently pissed off some GCers:
www.livejournal.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Speaking of GC, here's a funny thread:
www.greekchat.com... hp?s=83abc595eb9b32eb20acebeefc1b4e79&threadid=55255
It apparently pissed off some GCers:
www.livejournal.com...

Funny thread indeed conflation. I laughed about the girl who proclaimed her threesome one drunken night, til I looked at her signature and saw my house's letters!!!

Yeah, way to make the SKs proud sweetheart
D'OH!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sorry, nikkerbokker. It seemed like a funny thread and I wasn't thinking about specific GLOs.

On the topic of GC, let's have our own ATS awards for GC'ers. I'll start:

"Channeling Shakespeare": Tom Earp

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Sorry, nikkerbokker. It seemed like a funny thread and I wasn't thinking about specific GLOs.

Don't even worry about it conflation!!!
I looked through the thread and that post grabbed my eye, then saw my letters and felt my pride slowly start to drain... Just thought it was the kind of thing she should've removed her letters from before posting
D'OH!!!

Seriously though everyone, check out the thread that conflation posted, and tell me how you would feel to see one of your members doing something like that AND associating her letters with it
(you have to read ahead a few posts, and her/MY letters are in her signature, I am 99% sure you will know which post I'm referring to) What would your house have done to a member like that it, if anything? Obviously what a member does in his/her own time is their business, we're all consenting adults here, but I find it to be very bad taste to consciously associate the behavior and your org. If you're gonna do stuff like that, knock yourself out, but leave my sorority out of it!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Just a quick THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who has been SO NICE helping me get my rituals back after my computer crashed!!!

I was devasted I lost them all, but thanks to everyone here (qwerty, sunshinekappa, everyone else in the "network" you know who you are!!!) I have almost all of them back.

MUCHOS GRACIAS!!! from the bottom of my little sorority girl heart

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join