It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Programs the Republican Study Committee Wants to Abolish or Cut

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

100 Programs the Republican Study Committee Wants to Abolish or Cut

www.weeklystandard.com

As noted below, roughly $2.3 trillion of the $2.5 trillion in savings from the Republican Study Committee's Spending Reduction Act would come from cutting non-defense discretionary spending to 2006 and freezing that spending through 2021.

Where does the rest of the money come from? The RSC wants to cut remaining stimulus funds, eliminate federal control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and eliminate automatic pay increases for federal employees for five years and reduce the federal workforce by 15 percent through attrition. The RSC has also proposed eliminating or cutting back more than 100
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

I can only say wow! Finally some real cuts. If only they can get these cuts implemented. I know the dumocrats and various lobbyists will be screaming about how these cuts are "barbaric" and "racist" and "islamophobic" and/or any other guilt inducing phrases they can come up with to shame the republicans into changing their minds. We need this, it is a good start. However, we still need more. We need all federal agencies to start each year with a budget of zero, and justify every dollar, every cent they say they "need". That would help even more imo. After that maybe we can get to work on some of these entitlement programs.

www.weeklystandard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/21/11 by FredT because: To comply with posting standards

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Is $3 billion for Israel on that list? Most likely not. How about anything at all to do with the war on terrorism?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
While the republicans are at it maybe they could put an end to the two wars they started, not to mention the war on drugs and terror. This would no doubt save 3-4$ too.I wonder if they will lead the charge to cut these welfare programs............or just cut the ones for the poor

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is all a political show. The only way to balance the budget is to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and military spending. Those four things dwarf the discretionary non-military budget.

So, instead of cutting the bloated, corrupt programs (especially the military and Medicare/Medicaid) causing the problem, they are going to take away the things the federal government does that really add value to our lives and our country.

They really do want us to be slaves. That is what the GOP is all about.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Of course.

Cut the services that are meant to serve the populace.

But keep our empirical conquests in the rest of the world going.

Gotta stay safe, you never know when all those people living in poverty in third world countries, might wanna kill us because of our "freedom".

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Just a FYI Social Security is Not an Entitlement Program.

This brilliantly conceived public program instituted by FDR has always been fully funded by employers and employees, without any need for government subsidy. The program is simple and has worked flawlessly for over 60 years. It’s operating funds are deducted from an employees salary and matched by the their employer. These funds are invested in a general fund that earns interest, ensuring the program remains solvent. In essence, Social Security can not be labeled an entitlement because the money being issued to recipients of the program is actually theirs to begin with!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Some of these cuts are great and some shouldn't be included. I really don't think we should deny federal employees their pay raise though. I mean congress gets their's evey year. Why shouldn't the desk clerk and the forest ranger?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Gotta add all foreign aid to that list and shutting down all of our foreign bases and ending our foreign occupations.

Plenty more to cut.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

Saving our history, bad.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

Legal aid for poor people, bad.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Trains, bad.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Keeping distressed public housing must be a good thing.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Established by an act of Congress in 1968, the Wilson Center is our nation's official living memorial to President Woodrow Wilson. As both a distinguished scholar—the only American President with a Ph.D.—and a national leader, Wilson felt strongly that the scholar and the policymaker were "engaged in a common enterprise."

Really bad.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

The Essential Air Service (EAS) program was put into place to guarantee that small communities that were served by certificated air carriers before deregulation maintain a minimal level of scheduled air service. The Department currently subsidizes commuter airlines to serve approximately 140 rural communities across the country that otherwise would not receive any scheduled air service.

The hicks can take the bus.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Again, trains bad, infrastructure, bad.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

Science, bad.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Good start, long way to go.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Look you have to start somewhere. And Imo it's a good start. most of these subsidies are very old and out dated. "Mohair" LMFAO....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm appalled to see so many people complaining about the cuts being made. America is in a state of emergency in a sense and needs to cut every corner possible. Yes, theres a lot more that can be cut, but this is a good start so we can start to get our feet on the ground again.

On another note: I knew it wouldn't be long before someone brought up the cost of the wars.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This list shows how Republicans are scared of science, education, and research. Seems right. Thank god Democrats still have the Senate.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

You ever wonder how many of these programs have redundant functions ? Just dig a little deeper.

2nd

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All you "end the war" folks better get ready to walk and I hope you have plenty of silver or gold coins when our currency collapses. Probably will anyway but the war in Iraq was fought over Iraq starting its own Oil Bourse and trading in Euros. We are currently in Afghan to attain the rare earth elements that will run all the global warming cars and power everybody's Ipods, cell phones or any other gizmo's coming out. You folks scream about war for oil now we're fighting war for elements so the global warming anti war folks can have their hybrid battery powered cars to save the world from an inch rise in seas in 100 years. Yippie.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Oklastatefan

Nonsense. If you have not been paying attention social security is bankrupt. Anyone who does not retire in the next ten years gets NOTHING. WE ARE PAYING INTO A SYSTEM THAT WILL FAIL BEFORE WE COLLECT!!

I believe many of these systems should be cut. Even I know that it is foolish to cut these before you cut a military budget. Any real financial reform must begin with the military.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
I'm appalled to see so many people complaining about the cuts being made. America is in a state of emergency in a sense and needs to cut every corner possible.

I agree, just take a peek over at Europe where they are calling thier cuts an Austerity Program. I have not a single issue with any of the cuts listed above.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

Baby Boomers are about to start hitting the rolls. Snowball meet hill.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Good start. There's nothing on that list that the Federal government is compelled to do. Many are feel good operations supported by special interest groups. I think the freeze on pay raises is a result of the fact that fedderal workers are, on the whole, paid more than their private sector counterparts. Years ago the tradeoff for a government job was pay that was somewhat lower than the private sector, but excellent benefits, a great pension, and job security. Today, government workers get it all.

Now let's get serious. The Dept of Energy, started with Carter, and has done absolutely nothing to secure our energy for this country. There's $28 billion. Then there's the Dept of Education which, since its inception, has presided over a dramatic decline in the quality of education for our children, added massive bureaucrratic burdens to our school districts, and has been basically inept in its duties. There's $100 billion there. Then we have the EPA, at $10 billion, who is cramming political bogus climate change down our throats and has managed to to do one thing since it started, stifle economic growth. Eliminating these costly inept agencies would save $1 trillion in about five years.

And, no, we're not cutting the military because the Constitution SAYS the Federal government will provide the military. That's their job.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join