It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Programs the Republican Study Committee Wants to Abolish or Cut

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

Or we could cut the military budget in half and still be the world leader by a long shot.

These cuts don't even add up to 1% of our budget deficit. Cutting the military budget in half would put us into the black inside of 24 months. By contrast -- these cuts won't even balance out the interest on the debt.

It's a big dumb show, designed specifically for the target audience in question: a nation of financially illiterate peasants.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I think some of you may have missed this part..

As noted below, roughly $2.3 trillion of the $2.5 trillion in savings from the Republican Study Committee's Spending Reduction Act would come from cutting non-defense discretionary spending to 2006 and freezing that spending through 2021.

These 100 programs are in addition to that. I agree that even more can be done, but 2.5 trillion is a good start imo.
edit on 21-1-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

This is about REPUBLICANS claiming a total of 2.5 trillion in cuts, but not saying where they are coming from. These are the only cuts the Republicans have put up. Republican elects cannot say what they would cut! They've been asked plenty of times. This is what they came up with. "WHERE IS THE 2.5 TRILLION?" is the question.not what have Democrats suggested. Republicans control the budget now.

link   
I would like to see all foreign aid eliminated.
I would like to see the $725 billion defense budget slashed by 75% and the end of the war on terror and drugs.
I would like to see bailout for corporations done away with.
I would like to see congress and the courts receive a 50% pay cut, and there retirement and medical switched to what the rest of America has to use [we would see just how fast social security could be fixed if this happened]
I would like to see 75% of military bases closed outside of the US.

I would love to see a bi partisan plan, because you can't trust certain political ideologies.

oh I don't want our government pouring money into political party's election campaigns

Notice how the poor would be affected the most by these cuts? I guess they have no representation here.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

How are they going to get back to the 2006 spending levels? What will they cut? It's the same question.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

See the post just above yours.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here's a trillon dollar cost savings idea by an unusual alliance of two Congressional representatives:

www.ronpaul.com...

edit on 21-1-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Oh, I've caught on already. We will cut a bunch of random rap, some of which might be good. But do not touch the Military Industrial Complex, which I'm guessing uses more money than a number of other programs combined.

They make new security committees all the time in the name of freedom, they open intelligence centers, but I'll be damned if we are gonna have any art programs!

Of course "the republicans" are in on it, too. As some have already said, why don't we get our intrusive military bases out of any and all countries that don't offer to pay for our presence. Instead we will cut infrastructure and other programs that affect the normal people. Odds are these programs will be cut, then in a couple of years more money will be sent to the MIC.

And no, I haven't read the list. If I'm wrong, give me the info. Fact is everyone talks about how the Reds and Blues raw on the same team then forgets that when crap like this comes up.

First cut should be towards funds spent on the invasions of other countries, PERIOD. I'm guessing their plan is to take away money that comes back to the public and eventually route it to the MIC. In Georgia there are concerns that the HOPE scholarship will offer less and less money.

I wish I could choose where my fund went - the hungry, the underprivileged, infrastructure, science, and education, not some invasion of some country I'll probably never see.

This whole tying is a sham in the long run. Pay attention to what gets cut and keep waiting to see any mention of military funding - ain't gonna happen. Big government will continue, except the regular people will just get less.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I believe they should come up with another 3-4 hundred useless programs
along with these. Start with cutting off the illegal people who have come
across the border. That would be billions and billions. I say good for these
guys who want to cut off all of this needless crap. Get it going and quit
yapping about it. We don't need a program for every conceivable imagined
handout in this country. People also need to start standing on their own two
feet and grow some nuts. No one is entitled to all of these handouts just
because we live here. Keep on cutting, including the military complex that
is bleeding us to death. Close down at least half or more of our military bases,
especially where we are not welcome. Let them defend their own territory.
And the list goes on and on and on. We would then have all the money we
could ever need to feed our hungry right here in the US and have health care
for all at a cheap price or even free.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Wow, I think I understand what Throwback is saying.

Throwback is saying that the Republicans want 2.5 trillion cut, and then they list 100 programs they would cut. Yet, as Throwback showed, those 100 programs don't equal up to anything close.

So, the Republicans are asked what else they're going to cut, and they can't answer the question because they don't know.

This is a show to them. Those 100 programs, ATS, were just given as an example. They don't have a real plan, do you understand?

They don't have any idea where the rest of the money is going to be cut.

Basically, they stated they want 2.5 trillion cut, and when asked what from, they only listed 100 programs. They have no idea where else to take the money from.

And I disagree with about half of those programs. Those programs are needed to support homeless people, science research, etc.

Wow, didn't see Israel's funding on the board! We give to them more then any other country! Why aren't they up on the program list?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback

How are they going to get back to the 2006 spending levels? What will they cut? It's the same question.

Maybe this is to hard for you so let me try to make it easier. All programs currently at 2010 spending levels would be set to 2006 spending levels. Can you understand it now??????

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Spending Reduction Act would come from cutting non-defense discretionary spending to 2006 and freezing that spending through 2021.

Yeah that's right better not cut defense spending. We need to keep tht military-industrial complex alive! No matter how many people are homless or die in the streets.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Yeah, unfortunate but true. However, the cuts gotta start somewhere. Would you prefer we just do nothing? Let's do it like the obamazombies. Get a little bit cut now, then go back for more cuts later.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Obviously, it's not that easy. New programs were probably made, some might have been cut. It's just more vague promises that they won't keep.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

I agree. Maybe Israel wouldn't have the money to build those disputed settlements, somehow bringing peace to the Middle East? Probably not though.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by Reptius

Yeah, unfortunate but true. However, the cuts gotta start somewhere.

www.militarygolfcourseguide.com

* Well that would be a really good place to start with the cuts but then again . obviously the army needs golf courses because that helps defend our nation and fight wars.

I mean without amry golf courses, there's no way we would've won world war two.
That's why einstein helped us in world war 2. He liked to play golf.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

Republicans only want big government when it benefits them. It only benefits them with social issues (gay marriage, abortion, stem cells, etc) and persecuting people (War on Drugs, these numerous immigration laws popping up). Hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wise up. Not one of these cuts will hurt the guys doing the cutting.
As they are safe from the whole agony of attempted survival out here in the mainstream, and always have been, they have no concept of what is right or good for you and i.
We are not represented in any of these dicisions. We are merely tools towards the perpetuation of their elite status.
The present leaders are engaged in the business of handing off the worlds resources and political control of the masses, to their familial successors.
period.
This greedy and selfish beyond avarice level of our society have become the problem with which we are faced.
In the end, it is the wealthiest 1 or 2 % who hold a lock on the bulk of the resources, the political power,and the control of most of our world.(meaning the western democracies)
They wrest the countries to follow courses that though are self destructive,will ultimately yield even greater profits,and more absolute control of the people.
Through economic manipulation, the power of goverment(which IS their mafia arm)And the control of the MIC,media, and education,They are waging a war of attrition on the rights and freedoms which though aparently guaranteed by constitution, we once believed were actually God Given!
Thus these rights which the goverment wishes to modify or remove, are neither removable by men, nor by goverments, having been granted to all men by a higher authority than we........
Insteaad of a society of light, and transparancy, they cling to creating ever more compartmentalised secrecy and darkness.....
Instead of a world of freedom and peace, they wish to perpetualise war for economic prosperity for thebenefit of solely themselves.
At every turn, we are divided and kept separated through govermental hindrances to communication, and understanding between peoples.
These cuts symbolise the further impoverishment of society to perpetrate the aura of fear and trepedation, which keeps most enslaved to the chains of survival,
"We hold these rights to be ...........?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i am all for cutting back on some of these stupid programs especially endowment for the arts. but not public broadcasting. but if they really want to cut back on spending they should start looking for cash in department of defense if you cut their spending down by half you would be shocked at how you would have money for education and health care another way they could save money cut out the bureaucracy that is where most money wasted all those paper pushers filing paper work in quadruplicate tending the forests of filing cabinets of files of useless documentation

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join