It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Programs the Republican Study Committee Wants to Abolish or Cut

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
National Endowment for the Arts is the cut I'm most worried about. Perhaps I'm naive by believing government supporting arts and culture is a good thing.
Slicing our military budget in half would still give us the most expensive military in the world.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Furthermore, this doesn't even add up to 2.5 trillion--not even close. When asked where the rest of the cuts are, Republicans awkwardly stammer some crap:

What a joke. This guy is part of the group that made these cuts.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
This list shows how Republicans are scared of science, education, and research.

Surely you understand the difference between these things themselves, and government funding of them?

We can either cut these programs (along with a bunch more from Medicare and SS) or we can print money until it's worthless. Hope you feel real good about yourselves at that point.
edit on 21-1-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

Without funding, they die. Not all of them are bad, I think, but cuts to infrastructure? You know how many jobs will be lost from that alone? I think these are just talking points to please their base. What about defense spending cuts? I know Tea Partiers advocated for this, but none of the Tea Party endorsed candidates have mentioned defense cuts after getting elected. No defense cuts are in this proposal. Seems like a grass roots movement got hijacked.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by Throwback

There comes a point when jobs that exist solely because of government handouts have to be reconsidered. Rather how many jobs will be lost, how much are these jobs costing us?

If that werent a concern we all should just get weekly checks from the government. But we cant. That isnt economically sustainable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Has anyone looked at what is considered art lately? The money is being completely wasted. People who love art will still create it - people who create it for a govt subsidy will go bye bye.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Aren't all upgrades to infrastructure government funded? Well most are. Infrastructure jobs cost us nothing. Also, nobody seems to be catching on the point that this is all show and does not add up to 2.5 trillion dollars. Where will the rest of the cuts come from?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Anything that's "government funded" is costing us money.

If it doesnt add up to 2.5 trillion they shouldnt bother? If I'm having trouble making a $1500 mortgage should I not bother cutting the $60 cable?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Nothing is free. I bet if you didn't have any roads near your house and had problems getting there, you would consider getting out of that mortgage. I never said it was pointless. I said these are just talking points used to please their base. Watch the video posted upthread. This is what they've come up with after repeatedly either shrugging off or saying they don't know what they would cut. Like I said, this is pathetic list thrown together just to say "We've done something!" and the people will eat it up thinking that they really did.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

You're right nothing is free. Folks should have remembered that when we were all riding high in a bubble of stupidity and expanding every which way without the means to maintain or afford it.

I would love it if there were no roads to my house. The last thing I want is people being able to get to me or me being able to get to anyone anywhere.

If the country didnt lay 4 millions miles of road in the first place it wouldnt have such a high upkeep cost now.

All of this crap that people seem to think are necessary for life is not at all necessary. This infrastructure and this sprawl forces people into cars they dont need and jobs they hate and forces them to pay to the government to keep funding the pavement chains that trap them all.

None of this should exist. None of it would exist if the morons in charge and morons who vote for them would have stopped to think about the true cost of it all.

But instant gratification and lethargy rule society now.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Not all of them are bad, I think, but cuts to infrastructure? You know how many jobs will be lost from that alone?

Yeah well... I don't think you really understand the gravity of the situation. Virtually any cut is a good one at this point. Who wants a job if you're paid in worthless green rags.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I think your personal views are in the minority. Point is, these proposals are nothing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Any cut is a good cut? Millions would disagree with you. Cutting programs "just cause" is dumb.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Of course theyre in the minority. If they were shared by a majority we wouldnt be in this situation.

Constantly paying out the ass to support the majority gets tiresome.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Any cut is a good cut? Millions would disagree with you. Cutting programs "just cause" is dumb.

I didn't say "just cause" did I?

We have to cut and cut and cut some more, quickly, or our money will quickly become WORTHLESS.

We're at least 60 TRILLION dollars in debt.

This is what 1 Trillion looks like, in $100 dollar bills.

edit on 21-1-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
National Endowment for the Arts is the cut I'm most worried about. Perhaps I'm naive by believing government supporting arts and culture is a good thing.
Slicing our military budget in half would still give us the most expensive military in the world.
The government should not be supporting the arts at all. Additionally, as a previous poster already noted, what passes for art these days is basically crap.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I think your personal views are in the minority. Point is, these proposals are nothing.
They are a bare bones start. You have to start somewhere and these are all "good cuts" imo. There is much more that needs to be cut, but it is a start. What have the dumbocrats suggested cutting?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

If the country didnt lay 4 millions miles of road in the first place it wouldnt have such a high upkeep cost now.

All of this crap that people seem to think are necessary for life is not at all necessary. This infrastructure and this sprawl forces people into cars they dont need and jobs they hate and forces them to pay to the government to keep funding the pavement chains that trap them all.

So the first mud hut village that dug a community well was the start of some progressive plot.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Of course not.

Republicans want quality of life cuts, because they are tokens, and because they represent freedom and liberty to people who think differently then they do.

They will fight to the death to protect the 400 MILLION a day spent fighting the "war on terror" and anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a deluded fantasy world world.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Reply to post by PresumedInnocent

No of course it wasnt.

Even the town paying for a road isnt.

But unnecessary and redundant roads sprawling willy nilly through even unpopulated areas as though they were designed by some junior high kid with a crayon certainly is.

These projects have been removed from the control of those who need them and have become excuses to petition for more funding. They arent about need anymore. Theyre just excuses to perpetuate the cycle of theft funding dependence funding theft.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join