It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New missile deployed with RAF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The ASRAAM missile, which is to replace the sidewinder on RAF types, has been deployed operationally on the Tornado F3's of 43 & 111 Sqns at Leuchars, greatly improving on the old AIM-9's capabilities. The Typhoon will use this as its standard short range weapon when the single seaters reach the squadrons.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Are the RAF ever going to get the Brimstone?

Seems to be so far behind schedule.

That ASRAAM should work well with a BVRAAM

EDIT: Also, is the GR4 to get the ASRAAM too?

[edit on 10/7/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
the USAF was close to using the ASRAAM as well, until they decided to just use the AIM-9X, i've heard that the ASRAAM is actually a better missile, and would fit better with the AMRAAM in the US arsenal, but the AIM-9X was cheaper

E_T

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
...i've heard that the ASRAAM is actually a better missile

I don't think so, lack of thrust vectoring denies high off-boresight use.

This is what thrust vectoring makes possilble:
www.raytheon.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
um..what aircraft are those in the pics above? Also the Aim-9 is not the only A2A missile the USAF uses.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
um..what aircraft are those in the pics above?

They are RAF Tornados. F3s I think.

Tornado

Also the Aim-9 is not the only A2A missile the USAF uses.

No, but I think it is the main short range one they use.

[edit on 11/7/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yep, they are the Tornado F3's of 43 Sqn (black & white checks on the fin) and 111 Sqn (black & yellow markings) I mentioned in the first post.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I thought thrust vectoring was standard on modern missiles? including the ASRAAM? am i incorrect?

also, i didn't say the AIM-9 was the only A2A missile in the US inventory, but as somebody else stated, it's the primary short range A2A missile

actually...do we even have any other types of short range air to air? i dont believe so

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As is the usual way of doing things 'on the cheap' in this country the ASRAAM is entering service as a 'tail-controlled' missile, however the follow up P3I ASRAAM features thrust vectoring. I have googled for the AIM 9X and haven't seen any reference to thrust vectoring in any of the articles, they mainly declare the main improvement over previous versions as being that 'high off-boresight' thingy. Could anyone post a link?

In fact dont bother, I've just seen the video that was linked higher up this thread. Its rather good isn't it?

[edit on 12-7-2004 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Says this on the RAF website. Hope it helps, waynos.

ASRAAM is the world's first IR missile to enter service using a staring array detector, which detects the whole target 'scene'. The actual picture is very similar to a monochrome TV picture, and gives the missile excellent long-range target acquisition capability and enhanced performance against any employed countermeasures.

In a typical WVR engagement the missile is slaved to the target either visually or by aircraft sensors. The missile is then launched and following release it accelerates to speeds in excess of Mach 3 whilst being guided to the target using its IR seeker. The missile can be fired at very high off-boresight angles, in either lock-before or lock-after launch modes. Because the missile has a fire-and-forget capability it allows the pilot to engage multiple targets with multiple missiles at the same time.

www.raf.mod.uk...

[edit on 12/7/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
well there is the AIM-7 Sparrow it is a medium ans close range A2A missile and soon to replace this and the AIM-9 is the DRM / ASMT check out the link if you want to know more about the DRM / ASMT.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

well there is the AIM-7 Sparrow it is a medium ans close range A2A missile and soon to replace this and the AIM-9 is the DRM / ASMT check out the link if you want to know more about the DRM / ASMT.
[/img]

That link doesn't work. Here is a link that does www.globalsecurity.org...

E_T

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Says this on the RAF website. Hope it helps, waynos.

ASRAAM is the world's first IR missile to enter service using a staring array detector, which detects the whole target 'scene'. The actual picture is very similar to a monochrome TV picture,

Same as in AIM-9X

Fleet introduction of the AIM-9X missile is planned to begin in FY02 via aircraft carrier load outs. Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) All-Up-Round (AUR) missile deliveries begin in FY01 and continue through FY04

The Naval Air Systems Command Air-to-Air Missile Program Office announced 17 May 2004 that the AIM-9X Sidewinder has been approved for Full-Rate Production

And "sale speech":
www.raytheon.com...
Video there also shows picture of this imaging infrared seeker.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Typical Yank - not knowing the type of aircraft that your allies use.

Maybe this is why you guys keep shooting them down.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
the DRM/ASMT isn't so much a missile as a program right now, it's a little farther down the line, the AIM-9X is the one entering USAF service at this moment, concurrent with the ASRAAM entering RAF service

btw, those are nice tornadoe pictures

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

Typical Yank - not knowing the type of aircraft that your allies use.

Maybe this is why you guys keep shooting them down.

So true I only know what top of the line fighters look like not what second rate ones look like

Don't know why my link don't work but oh...well

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

So true I only know what top of the line fighters look like not what second rate ones look like

Tornado is as good, if not better than american fighters. Same airframe. Two very different roles.

• Low level bombing

• Fighter

It is a Great Plane, not second rate.

• posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:41 AM
    link   

Same as in AIM-9X

[

Yes, most articles I checked out said that the one in the AIM-9X was derived from the AMRAAM one, its seeker is built by the same company.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:58 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

Tornado is as good, if not better than american fighters. Same airframe. Two very different roles.

• Low level bombing

• Fighter

It is a Great Plane, not second rate.

• Really? Maybe against an F-16 but that's it any other US fighter will shred it to pieces

And who does low level bombing anymore...oh that's right the brits don't have PGM never mind.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:07 PM
    link   

And who does low level bombing anymore...oh that's right the brits don't have PGM never mind.

They sooooooooo do.

The problem with you Yanks is that you're so high up that you can't tell whose a friend or an enemy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join